The Northern Spire Bridge

fair enough, a decent amount voted. but everything i have read and heard related to the naming has been negative, disgusted, angry or apathetic comments. practically 100% of people who have had an opinion heard have disliked the names. who knows how many may have voted had they took it seriously. imagine the threads on here, facebook discussions and pub conversations had the three options actually been relevant, interesting, diverse, and, heaven for bid, related to sunderland with the word 'bridge' in the name.

imagine the publicity we could have gained from having a vote that 40 or 50 thousand people voted on? they could have had people in the town or outside of the match taking votes, but they know they would have got dogs abuse and rightly so. its incompetence at best, and a piss take at worse. either way its worth having an opinion on
Agree that the names are shit but the only way there would ever have been 40 or 50 thousand people voting on this would be if the options were 'The Newcastle Is Topper Bridge' and 'The Newcastle Is Shit Bridge'

Agree that the names are shit but the only way there would ever have been 40 or 50 thousand people voting on this would be if the options were 'The Newcastle Is Topper Bridge' and 'The Newcastle Is Shit Bridge'

maybe, maybe not. suppose we will never know. what we do know is, that nearly everyone on here, and most people that we know, didn't vote, even though we were all well aware of it and all very much able to do it in 1 minute

Clatchey Bridge would have been better.

One In The Eye For The Sandies Bridge maybe ?

Interesting fact. Although the QEB was a "Viaduct" by the usual definition, the North Eastern Railway who built it and paid two thirds of the cost only ever referred to "bridges" so like the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick it was only called a Bridge.
Was about to ask what the qeb was then noticed it had been answered.:lol: Nice one.:)

fair enough, a decent amount voted. but everything i have read and heard related to the naming has been negative, disgusted, angry or apathetic comments. practically 100% of people who have had an opinion heard have disliked the names. who knows how many may have voted had they took it seriously. imagine the threads on here, facebook discussions and pub conversations had the three options actually been relevant, interesting, diverse, and, heaven for bid, related to sunderland with the word 'bridge' in the name.

imagine the publicity we could have gained from having a vote that 40 or 50 thousand people voted on? they could have had people in the town or outside of the match taking votes, but they know they would have got dogs abuse and rightly so. its incompetence at best, and a piss take at worse. either way its worth having an opinion on
I think people are making a bold assumption that everyone who voted was therefore happy with one of the options. I think a lot may have voted for their chosen 'least shit' option. Doesn't mean they approve for it per se

Edit technical error

Ive never blamed the council for the shit names. I do blame them for not nipping it in the bud at the start. Completely bottled it, because it was a difficult decision that they didnt have to make
You're being too kind. This is a council blunder in every way. They controlled and convened the entire process and would have been more than aware that there was next to no support anywhere for the names. The fact under 5000 people voted for the winning name in a City of approximately 300,000 people speaks volumes.

There is simply no excuse for offering such pretentious tripe as they did....clearly they think its a marketable name a la Angel or the North etc and have not given a second thought about what the residents of Sunderland might have wished for.

Sums them up perfectly.

This thread sums up Sunderland!!!
It doesn't matter at all what the council do or don't do the blame will always be moved away to the company or committee or panel or contractor or central government no matter how bad it is. Always has always will.
The main council supporter @Boris Bear "agrees" it's a shit name but deflects all blame from the council.
If the bridge fell down tomorrow they would blame the contractor (even though it's the council who pick them).
If the road system doesn't work or the bridge has no effect or nissan still up sticks after brexit it will still be classed as triumph.
They really can't do no wrong or even be held responsible.
Any negative comments are greeted with a personal attack on the poster. I.e. Len, or dud thrower, spelling or grammar even get picked up on.

It doesn't matter at all what the council do or don't do the blame will always be moved away to the company or committee or panel or contractor or central government no matter how bad it is. Always has always will.
The main council supporter @Boris Bear "agrees" it's a shit name but deflects all blame from the council.
If the bridge fell down tomorrow they would blame the contractor (even though it's the council who pick them).
If the road system doesn't work or the bridge has no effect or nissan still up sticks after brexit it will still be classed as triumph.
Any negative comments are greeted with a personal attack on the poster. I.e. Len, or dud thrower, spelling or grammar even get picked up on.

Mind, I wouldn't start a sentence with "I.e", I think protocol dictates "i.e." or just "That is". But in this context, I think "e.g." would have been more appropriate.

This sums up your lunacy right here....you blame the council for Brexit.

Hopefully this account goes the same way as your last one S

I think people are making a bold assumption that everyone who voted was therefore happy with one of the options. I think a lot may have voted for their chosen 'least shit' option. Doesn't mean they approve for it per se

Edit technical error
They weren't forced to vote

This sums up your lunacy right here....you blame the council for Brexit.

Hopefully this account goes the same way as your last one S

They weren't forced to vote
I doubt it I never come on much now. Only to piss on your chips.
You think the name is shit?
Well away then give us your input. Original name for the bridge. Not one that's been named before.
See if you can impress the smb lads and lasses.

I doubt it I never come on much now. Only to piss on your chips.
You think the name is shit?
Well away then give us your input. Original name for the bridge. Not one that's been named before.
See if you can impress the smb lads and lasses.
The Sir Len Lowther NIMBY Bridge

Interesting fact. Although the QEB was a "Viaduct" by the usual definition, the North Eastern Railway who built it and paid two thirds of the cost only ever referred to "bridges" so like the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick it was only called a Bridge.

Ignoring the fact you spelt QAB wrong, how is a viaduct not a bridge?
Surely a viaduct is just a type of bridge?

Ignoring the fact you spelt QAB wrong, how is a viaduct not a bridge?
Surely a viaduct is just a type of bridge?

Common usage is that a Viaduct generally has very long spans and/or multiple arches. The QAB has both but I thought it was an interesting point that the North Eastern Railway didn't use the term "Viaduct" for some unknown reason. That's why the High Level Bridge is just called a bridge, not the High Level Viaduct.

Back