The Independent Commission For Equity In Cricket

classism is the main issue, and is is the main issue in this country. I have no doubt racism does exist but if you are mixed race or a black cricketer and go to a public school, you've got much more chance of making it than someone from any race who doesnt

I am left leaning, and like to think I have an OK moral compass, but in general as someone from a working class background, in this chase for equality across the country, which I agree with, I've felt totally left out.

look at who the prime minister of the country is, he's faced no barriers because of his background, there is no way I could be in his position, because I am not from the right class or didnt go to the right school

apply that to cricket really
Honestly, this is right up there with "some of my best friends are black/gay etc" for missing the point.

How do you know Sunak "faced no barriers" because of his background. His background was hardly one of penury in any case, but maybe he was just one of the few that overcame the completely evident barriers in this country.

Just like the people who say because we've had 3 women prime ministers there isn't any sexism, it's a nonsense argument.

And as for "if you are mixed race or black and go to a public school you have much more chance of making it", the only word that matters is "if".
Does being from a working class background inhibit your ability to participate in cricket?
It might not be the highest priority in terms of the costs of club membership fees, match fees and cost of equipment and so on, especially in the cost of living crisis.

On top of which, going to a state school is a massive disadvantage in terms of opportunity, coaching and even playing environment.

Did I ever mention when Bede Comprehensive was drawn away to Barnard Castle in the county cup in 1980? We went down there, were completely overawed by the grounds and buildings, apart from never having even played on a grass pitch before. They bowled us out for 11. In their team were Rob Andrew and Rory Underwood. It was absolute humiliation.

Last edited:

i think they tried to move the Eton Harrow game but there was uproar with a large number of lords members...who were all probably ex alumni of those schools
They don't even play the Oxford v Cambridge university match at Lord's any more. I wonder if it's because they take a higher percentage of state school pupils these days.

I think the fact they will be paying top money to play there may have influenced the decision making process. If you and I could cough up enough money we could probably play at Lords too.

That isnt a class issue, just money talks sadly
That little word "if" again. And don't you think the two things are strongly linked? Not completely, because there was the Stanford fiasco, but on the whole I'm going to say "old money" would have a better shout in your scenario.
Lords is part of the problem. They'll say they're steeped in tradition, but that tradition is steeped in snobbery.
Like this:

Maybe me and my wife have but we'll stick with our view. She's not had a spot of bother watching cricket concerning sexism or her disability, in fact clubs have gone out their way to help with access needs. All over the North East cricket clubs galore. It's a very accessible sport for all ages. Much prefer this game to watching football. Sorry but neither of us buy into this report but I guess many will disagree. As I've posted above I played cricket quite often at Wellfield School in Wingate and we always had a bat and ball out in the street as kids.
Are you a climate change denier too?

Honestly, this level of sheer pigheadedness is breathtaking. If they've spoken to 4000 people and heard stories of how this is actually happening, would your single voice negate all.of it?
I’d be interested to know if Lords would allow another two state schools to hire the ground out for the day for a game mind…
There's the village cup final and the club final, but that's about it.

Last edited:
If they've spoken to 4000 people and heard stories of how this is actually happening, would your single voice negate all.of it?

I think you’ll find that’s not what he’s saying at all. What he’s saying is that if they’ve spoken to 4000 people at all levels in professional cricket about the customs and practices (informal and formal) procedures, standards of behaviour, conduct, and cultural norms within the professional game as experienced and evidence by those that are effected by them and if that report, which gathers, collates, summarises, details and demonstrates the findings and is accepted and acknowledged by the authorities that are under investigation…. well his single voice AND that of his missus shouting at the telly, would negate it all.

I think you’ll find that’s not what he’s saying at all. What he’s saying is that if they’ve spoken to 4000 people at all levels in professional cricket about the customs and practices (informal and formal) procedures, standards of behaviour, conduct, and cultural norms within the professional game as experienced and evidence by those that are effected by them and if that report, which gathers, collates, summarises, details and demonstrates the findings and is accepted and acknowledged by the authorities that are under investigation…. well his single voice AND that of his missus shouting at the telly, would negate it all.
Spoke to the wrong 4000 people is all

classism is the main issue, and is is the main issue in this country. I have no doubt racism does exist but if you are mixed race or a black cricketer and go to a public school, you've got much more chance of making it than someone from any race who doesnt

I am left leaning, and like to think I have an OK moral compass, but in general as someone from a working class background, in this chase for equality across the country, which I agree with, I've felt totally left out.

look at who the prime minister of the country is, he's faced no barriers because of his background, there is no way I could be in his position, because I am not from the right class or didnt go to the right school

apply that to cricket really
Sorry about my earlier comment. Reading it again I can see I misunderstood what you were saying about the PM, and bame pupils at public schools.

I still think they've had to overcome some barriers though.

That little word "if" again. And don't you think the two things are strongly linked? Not completely, because there was the Stanford fiasco, but on the whole I'm going to say "old money" would have a better shout in your scenario.

Like this:

Are you a climate change denier too?

Honestly, this level of sheer pigheadedness is breathtaking. If they've spoken to 4000 people and heard stories of how this is actually happening, would your single voice negate all.of it?

There's the village cup final and the club final, but that's about it.
14 degrees today in the middle of July. In answer to your question, I don't give it much thought really. It gets hot in summer, it gets cold in winter.

It’s not great news though is it? Do they bring in the same revenue? Do the f*ck.

Will the disability sides get the same match fees? Will the Under 19’s get the same?

Elite Sport is a business, this is horrific business. It’ll also mean less money for county cricket - but the trolls on here will be delighted about that.

Last edited:
Do the women draw the same crowds as the men? You’ve made my point for me. Thanks.
Not a kick in the arse off mind, women sold a few games out this summer, and numbers are increasing game one game, unreserved seating for the sri lanka game next month however looks as though next years ODI is going to ballot
Pay is based on skills. As it should be (and is in 90+% of cases) in sport.
You realise its just match fees and not central contract value yeah? the men rarely get paid all of theirs anyway, the way your going on you'd think it was coming out of your pocket

Last edited:

Back