The Independent Commission For Equity In Cricket

Just seen this on BBC news. Led by a black woman claiming racism and that black people don't play the game.... The very next story on BBC breakfast... Rehan Ahmed is in the England squad. As the wife shouted at the TV just now "a crock of shit". I guess if you look hard and deepen enough you will always find issues to suit a narrative. I've seen it old and young, men and women, black and white all at this game down in Leicester so far this week. Very much a game for all in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think that in other parts of the country cricket may "classist" but the very foundations of 99% of cricket clubs were from the lower classes in society (i.e. clubs associated to collieries and heavy industry)

classism is the main issue, and is is the main issue in this country. I have no doubt racism does exist but if you are mixed race or a black cricketer and go to a public school, you've got much more chance of making it than someone from any race who doesnt

I am left leaning, and like to think I have an OK moral compass, but in general as someone from a working class background, in this chase for equality across the country, which I agree with, I've felt totally left out.

look at who the prime minister of the country is, he's faced no barriers because of his background, there is no way I could be in his position, because I am not from the right class or didnt go to the right school

apply that to cricket really

Just seen this on BBC news. Led by a black woman claiming racism and that black people don't play the game.... The very next story on BBC breakfast... Rehan Ahmed is in the England squad. As the wife shouted at the TV just now "a crock of shit". I guess if you look hard and deepen enough you will always find issues to suit a narrative. I've seen it old and young, men and women, black and white all at this game down in Leicester so far this week. Very much a game for all in my opinion.
How does that correlate with your position on Yorkshire?

Now I don’t want to ignore any obvious Issues, however the BBC article suggests the women players get paid significantly lower than the men. Surely you just have to look at attendances to understand that. Trent Bridge must have been about 5% full for the womens test
Also until last week they hadn't played a 5 day test either and international players aren't playing 80% of the year either. I am all for the rate of pay being proportionate to the level of interest/income generation but certainly not making it equal simply because they are female and men get paid more.

It is also worth bearing in mind that this report has been generated with 4000 respondents out of an estimated 350,000 (1.14%) cricket participants in 2022. The data source is almost as impressive as the when you see the adverts for number of dentists surveyed about toothpaste
classism is the main issue, and is is the main issue in this country. I have no doubt racism does exist but if you are mixed race or a black cricketer and go to a public school, you've got much more chance of making it than someone from any race who doesnt

I am left leaning, and like to think I have an OK moral compass, but in general as someone from a working class background, in this chase for equality across the country, which I agree with, I've felt totally left out.

look at who the prime minister of the country is, he's faced no barriers because of his background, there is no way I could be in his position, because I am not from the right class or didnt go to the right school

Does being from a working class background inhibit your ability to participate in cricket?

Last edited:

i agree about classism

it was highlighted that no womens tests have been at lords but the Eton Harrow game is there every year religiously

i think they tried to move the Eton Harrow game but there was uproar with a large number of lords members...who were all probably ex alumni of those schools

I could not believe that Lords relented and allowed that fuckin Eton v Harrow yearly game again

sums it all up for me
I think the fact they will be paying top money to play there may have influenced the decision making process. If you and I could cough up enough money we could probably play at Lords too.

That isnt a class issue, just money talks sadly

Lords is part of the problem. They'll say they're steeped in tradition, but that tradition is steeped in snobbery.

Yeah you’re right like. I used to be a middlesex member, si county level but you sit in king room, pavilion etc. it was fun and funny and I loved it, but I enjoyed as I seemed so so out of place and it felt like a whole different world. It’s not the exact opposite of inclusivity like. A place designed for a certain section of society.

How does that correlate with your position on Yorkshire?
One club, one issue which needs dealing with. Dig hard enough you will find racism everywhere. I'm watching a game here, and they have school kids in of different races/ethnicity, old people here, young people here, men and women here. Ridiculous to tarnish the whole game in this way. Would like to know who they have conducted this research with as well. I've not seen anyone conducting research at games or via membership communication. As the wife said "crock of shit"

Also until last week they hadn't played a 5 day test either and international players aren't playing 80% of the year either. I am all for the rate of pay being proportionate to the level of interest/income generation but certainly not making it equal simply because they are female and men get paid more.

It is also worth bearing in mind that this report has been generated with 4000 respondents out of an estimated 350,000 (1.14%) cricket participants in 2022. The data source is almost as impressive as the when you see the adverts for number of dentists surveyed about toothpaste

Does being from a working class background inhibit your ability to participate in cricket?

Without a doubt.

One club, one issue which needs dealing with. Dig hard enough you will find racism everywhere. I'm watching a game here, and they have school kids in of different races/ethnicity, old people here, young people here, men and women here. Ridiculous to tarnish the whole game in this way. Would like to know who they have conducted this research with as well. I've not seen anyone conducting research at games or via membership communication. As the wife said "crock of shit"

Haven't the ECB have accepted the findings?

Back