The Hundred - Your Prediction

Getting inspired was all about watching on TV for me, a few hundred kids not going to Durham is nowt on the grand scheme of things.

The weekly attendances you point to are about 100k. Plus say another 200k watching on SKY. Of which the demographic will be overwhelmingly white, middle class and middle aged. That's out of a population of 65 million.

Those are the key reasons change is needed and cricket is dying, Chelmsford selling out 6,000 seats doesn't change that.
thing is, you grew up in age where there were four tv channels only. Basic computer games and so on. There was nowt else to watch

We’ve discussed this before. I do not, nor never will think the game will be expanded by only playing at 8 grounds

It really is a straightforward as that. Kids in Kent, Essex, Somerset, Derbyshire, Durham, and so on, will watch on tv, then if the purpose is to inspire them to the ground, turn round to their parents and ask to go, to then be told, sorry it’s too far away

How is it going to grow, when no england player will be participating? Root, stokes, archer, buttler all possible inspirational players won’t be playing whilst Gayle, narine, Dre russ etc will be filling their bellies and wallets. Also no Indians will be involved.

The money spent on this could have been spent to reinvigorate the current t20 especially with the marketing as the year would be 2020. Put the games from the likes of Durham, Essex, Somerset, Kent, Leicestershire on bbc tv, and it would lead to more interest from NEW POSSIBLE CUSTOMERS

All they’ve done is to play it where interest was already oversubscribed and belittled the unwanted counties out of being visited by the mythical new customers

Do you think the 100 will be such a success that the world will follow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Am I the only cricket fan on here that has never watched an IPL game on TV or has any idea that its even on, or who does not give a flying fuck which 'franchise' wins and could not tell you the names of more than two teams? You can't contirve sports with false 'clubs' etc and expect to keep the current fans happy.

I would rather go and watch Durham in the Championship than a T20 as well.

The sad thing here is that England are in a World cup final tomorrow and are massive favourites to win. If they do, the ECB will use the inevitable rise in popularity of the sport to launch this 100 thing and will then claim it a huge success, when in reality it will have been the national teams success in 50 overs cricket that did it.

I won't watch it. Durham have been excluded from it, so I will exclude myself from it. I mean imagine watching it and having to choose between Leeds and Birmingham for who you want to win?

It will also reduce the Blast to the equivalent of the league cup. A second tier, second rate after thought. It will actually be quite funny if this moves kills them both as major revenue earners for the game in this country.

Exactly and it won't be the ECB's pet project. That will mean no T20 at Durham anymore. Apparrently success in sport is now measured by getting paid lots for not being included in the competition at all.
I've never seen an IPL I just don't see the attraction. I watched some Big Bash a year or two back but in retrospect that was just for the giggles of watching Flintoff playing the fool.

But ... for me it's Durham all the way in all formats. I like watching the short form but for some reason, I only get satisfaction lasting more than a day from 4 day County Cricket.

Well I live in Somerset and the closest grounds to me are Cardiff and Southampton, both a pig to drive to and over 1 and a half hours away.

Great stuff
My point exactly. Spreading the game by contracting it. Genius planning

Getting to Bristol or Taunton for t20 is bad enough due to the awful local transport links but there is no way I could take my boy to Cardiff or Southampton, we would spend longer in the car than at the game
This is my main gripe. There will be a lot of people such as yourself in this situation.

Fine let’s have a new tournament, but surely it has to be all in? You can’t grow a game by limiting access to 8 grounds in a country.

This is my main gripe. There will be a lot of people such as yourself in this situation.

Fine let’s have a new tournament, but surely it has to be all in? You can’t grow a game by limiting access to 8 grounds in a country.

Id like think with it being on council TV, it will increase exposure and encourage people to look at local cricket or the one day games as somewhere to go, but as others have mentioned they are taking their eye off the one day game to concentrate on this.

Thinking about it, it's more and more mental, we could be world champions tomorrow after following a 4 year plan to get there and throw it all away for a few quid

Id like think with it being on council TV, it will increase exposure and encourage people to look at local cricket or the one day games as somewhere to go, but as others have mentioned they are taking their eye off the one day game to concentrate on this.

Thinking about it, it's more and more mental, we could be world champions tomorrow after following a 4 year plan to get there and throw it all away for a few quid
50 over game being phased out gradually just as England may get the biggest trophy and exposure for a generation.

Still the 100 will not feature the likes of stokes, buttler bar one or two appearances. The kids will be inspire by Gayle and the rest of the gang

50 over game being phased out gradually just as England may get the biggest trophy and exposure for a generation.

Still the 100 will not feature the likes of stokes, buttler bar one or two appearances. The kids will be inspire by Gayle and the rest of the gang

It's history repeating ourselves after that Ashes summer where the whole nation was buzzing, viewing figures were up and straight after it went to sky and nothing on FTA

Cricket will continue to wither and die if it does.

Durham rely on central ECB activities like this to break even whether we like it or not. There are 1.2m reasons they voted it in and they're as complicit as anyone in it going ahead.
Durham complicit. Haway, the ftecb have been complicit in the first place, placing Durham in our current position

I’ll watch this as I love all forms of cricket, but it’s exactly the opposite of spreading the game. Elitist and only to be consumed live in person for the chosen few.

I asked before but I will again, do you think the world will follow this format? Ipl and big bash, shelved for a 100 ball game?

Once the initial fad is over, do you really think that swathes of the country that has had zero access will be remotely interested?

Cricket will continue to wither and die if it does.

Durham rely on central ECB activities like this to break even whether we like it or not. There are 1.2m reasons they voted it in and they're as complicit as anyone in it going ahead.

Say what? Alarmist much? The death of cricket has been predicted for decades, but it still seems to survive.

The England team are the biggest source of income by miles, multiple times over in fact, and England won't be playing this format. Durham (along with 10 other counties) had a gun pointed at their foreheads, they were coerced rather than complicit.

Say what? Alarmist much? The death of cricket has been predicted for decades, but it still seems to survive.

The England team are the biggest source of income by miles, multiple times over in fact, and England won't be playing this format. Durham (along with 10 other counties) had a gun pointed at their foreheads, they were coerced rather than complicit.

Fair enough mate, I'll take the word complicit back as I took the 17-1 vote (or whatever it was) at face value whereas you're probably right with the politics of it.

It remains though that we are reliant on the ECB growing the game to get subsidised in the future. I don't like the 100 but think it needs to succeed.

Fair enough mate, I'll take the word complicit back as I took the 17-1 vote (or whatever it was) at face value whereas you're probably right with the politics of it.

It remains though that we are reliant on the ECB growing the game to get subsidised in the future. I don't like the 100 but think it needs to succeed.
How will it grow, being played in 8 grounds only?

It’s whole concept is to narrow down the opportunity to see it in person, whilst taking any talent at the other counties away

To grow and attract new customers, surely it’s pointless to have events at grounds that sell out anyway?

Where are the new audience, ie those who have never been, going to get a chance to see the games in person?

How will it grow, being played in 8 grounds only?

It’s whole concept is to narrow down the opportunity to see it in person, whilst taking any talent at the other counties away

To grow and attract new customers, surely it’s pointkess to have events at grounds that sell out anyway?

Where are the new audience, ie those who have never been, going to get a chance to see the games in person?

On TV. At which point you say they could have put the T20 on TV, which I agree with to a point.

This thread was intended to move the debate on and ask what would happen instead but has clearly failed!

On TV. At which point you say they could have put the T20 on TV, which I agree with to a point.

This thread was intended to move the debate on and ask what would happen instead but has clearly failed!
As I’ve said, the new audience watch the game on tv, and little Johnny and sally turn to their parents and say, I want to go and see that

However it’s limited so mam and dad can’t afford the cost or time for 200 mile round trips.

But dad, I thought they played cricket at Durham? Not this game son, deemed unworthy
But dad I want to see stokes, buttler and root. Sorry son otherwise engaged, the universe boss is coming though. He is an inspirational fielder and batsman.

We need the money generated from the game to subsides the counties, that's for certain. The point is, though, that they are going to try the things that fans have been asking for, but they are bypassing the counties and inventing a format that isn't really required.

I'm not the audience, I get that (I'll watch some T20 if it's on but it doesn't really hold my interest), 100 balls or 120 balls - so what? But the main things that have really pissed me off are:

Excluding half the countries
Pissing off pretty much the entire existing fanbase
The end of 6 ball overs

The ECB aren't bulletproof, we've had other governing bodies. My hope is that the counties give it a couple of years to fail then get themselves together and wrestle back control.

Why didnt they just create a northern team and move it around to different grounds. Could have played games in various grounds.

Even if they had only been a few games at Durham at least we would have had some link to it.

Why didnt they just create a northern team and move it around to different grounds. Could have played games in various grounds.

Even if they had only been a few games at Durham at least we would have had some link to it.
An excellent suggestion. This would then lead to a potential new audience, coming to the game they’ve seen on bbc

Eg some of Surrey franchise will have never played at CLS bar England games

Back