The Hundred - Your Prediction

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
I think at the start it'll be totally false. No team identities, ECB having to give tickets away for nowt to fill the grounds, most of us hating how they've bastardized the game. Most franchise tournaments have started like that (bar the last bit).

By Year 5 I think you'll have proper sell out crowds, people having attachments to teams and games like the 'London derby' and the Leeds v Manchester one meaning something. The likes of Durham will be clamoring to get the odd game up here like the small Aussie towns have managed in the Big Bash. Cricket will once again be one of the top 5 sports of kids and cricketers will be in the top few of the Sports Personality of the Year list in a big year.

I wish they'd just done a top division of county T20 but I still think bring it on, UK cricket will be healthier in 2024 than 2019.

Failure.

The IPL is king, as much as I hate it and this format is an absolutely vile bastardisation of a format that has taken the world by storm.

Cricket supporters in this country either follow England or their county, some follow both. This format will alienate about 70% of cricket supporters in this country and is relying totally on replacing them with non-cricket supporters.

Last edited:
Who knows? Depends on the BBC TV audiences. People will turn up to watch. Ideally, the format dies but the BBC rekindle their interest in cricket and get to show some T20 alongside SKY and we have a 2 division competition. Could happen 2023/24.

I am not sure, I think it could do well, if it gets good exposure on BBC then people will watch it

If you put Yorkshire and Lancashire on BBC on a Friday night it would be mental how many people would watch it

The Blast is the 2nd best tournament in the world outside the IPL for crowds, quality and entertainment, thats what annoys me. The competition is there, the crowds are there

I don't mind have a 2 division league, with promotion and relegation, ignore the 2nd div and have the premier league having all the money and all the Television. People would love it.

Thats what frustrates me, the teams are there

I am not sure, I think it could do well, if it gets good exposure on BBC then people will watch it

If you put Yorkshire and Lancashire on BBC on a Friday night it would be mental how many people would watch it

The Blast is the 2nd best tournament in the world outside the IPL for crowds, quality and entertainment, thats what annoys me. The competition is there, the crowds are there

I don't mind have a 2 division league, with promotion and relegation, ignore the 2nd div and have the premier league having all the money and all the Television. People would love it.

Thats what frustrates me, the teams are there

Agree with most of that but it's not going to happen. Surely the Big Bash gets bigger crowds than the Blast though?

And I think that the Leeds franchise versus the Manc one will be an equivalent of the Roses game in time too if they don't alienate the pissheads in the crowd too much.

It seems so obvious to have a 2 division T20 League. And if its played in the kids holidays, you can potentially have 2 televised games on BBC and SKY (5.30 and 7.30 starts) with very little overlap during the week, no problem on a weekend.
Equate it to football, there are regularly 2 games on at the same time.

Last edited:
Absolutely no need to meddle with the current format at all. 2 divisions, franchises, hundred. Not needed any of it. What I like about the Blast is that any of the 18 counties feel they have a chance of winning. With the 2 divisions you'd have 9 teams with no chance which would be a shame as all clubs rely on the Blast to get the crowds in, but especially the "smaller" clubs

Absolutely no need to meddle with the current format at all. 2 divisions, franchises, hundred. Not needed any of it. What I like about the Blast is that any of the 18 counties feel they have a chance of winning. With the 2 divisions you'd have 9 teams with no chance which would be a shame as all clubs rely on the Blast to get the crowds in, but especially the "smaller" clubs

If you listen to Simon Hughes he says that it needed to be franchise cricket to get on BBC1 or BBC2.

Anyway that debate has been done on here. The question is what will happen...

The BBC need to learn to love cricket again. If The Hundred works, someone may actually realise the game is played by thousands and adored by millions and is worthy of a bit of investment. Then they can bin off all the sh1te they currently have on to show the formats we have now. I have my doubts and feel its a shame a broadcaster with more interest in sport and time to show T20 (ITV4) didn't show interest.

The BBC need to learn to love cricket again. If The Hundred works, someone may actually realise the game is played by thousands and adored by millions and is worthy of a bit of investment. Then they can bin off all the sh1te they currently have on to show the formats we have now. I have my doubts and feel its a shame a broadcaster with more interest in sport and time to show T20 (ITV4) didn't show interest.

ITV4 wouldn't get the viewers BBC2 or BBC1 would, even though it's FTA too. Nor the cross-promotion.

Channel 4 put in a pitch too.

I think the BBC have been class for cricket with the county commentaries etc. A quality service imo.

Last edited:
If Kabaddi can have a following, a game built on holding your breath then The Hundred can. I won't hold my breath though.

It only had bigger crowds than other versions because there’s it’s been measured as an aggregate and the Blast has about 86 games before the final :rolleyes:.

Regarding the two division league, I genuinely think it would be the death of some counties - because they would put so much emphasis on getting in and staying in the top division, thus neglecting the other formats and thus spending well above their means, it would be their death knell.

I think at the start it'll be totally false. No team identities, ECB having to give tickets away for nowt to fill the grounds, most of us hating how they've bastardized the game. Most franchise tournaments have started like that (bar the last bit).

By Year 5 I think you'll have proper sell out crowds, people having attachments to teams and games like the 'London derby' and the Leeds v Manchester one meaning something. The likes of Durham will be clamoring to get the odd game up here like the small Aussie towns have managed in the Big Bash. Cricket will once again be one of the top 5 sports of kids and cricketers will be in the top few of the Sports Personality of the Year list in a big year.

I wish they'd just done a top division of county T20 but I still think bring it on, UK cricket will be healthier in 2024 than 2019.

I like the number 3.

4 less so.

It will never catch on.

Why can't they just sell the rights of the games that aren't on sky? or is the value in it being exclusive to them?

EDIT: to a terrestrial broadcaster like when the IPL was on ITV.

Last edited:

Back