The Hum

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Anyone ever heard this strange phenomena?

The Hum - Wikipedia

Its been reported in the news a few times over the years and scientists still don't seem to know what's causing it. I saw it on a foreign news channel at the weekend and there seems to be plenty of legit video footage kicking about the internet if you have never heard of it.

Yes I’ve heard it a few times and I think I live in the same area as you!

I’ve been telling our lass about it for a few years now, while in bed on a neet.
She can’t hear it but it’s sometimes drove me round the bend.
At times I’ve been up wandering around the house, looking outside trying to identify where it’s coming from.
Funnily enough lately I haven’t heard it.
Leechmere Industrial Estate is half a mile away so I’ve thought it may be from there.

Same here.

100% it used to keep me awake and drive me crackers (here in Grangetown). My Lass could just about hear it but it didn't bother her. I.bought some class ear plugs for sleeping with, they were about £20 and did the trick. I used to search all over for the source of the noise. Turned every single electric appliance off in the house. Go outside and you couldn't hear it. Always thought it was coming from the docks or the gas works down hendon. I always described it as a diesel engine car standing still, like a taxi waiting outside of a house. Haven't heard it for months thank God

That’s exactly the same experience I’ve had.

Last edited:

Grangetown and nearby 'hum hearers' - what sort of sound are you hearing? Like a constant hum, or one that fluctuates in volume. Both ears?

Grangetown and nearby 'hum hearers' - what sort of sound are you hearing? Like a constant hum, or one that fluctuates in volume. Both ears?

Havent heard it for ages now. Bet the bastard comes back tonight. Definitely a steady hum, like a car ticking over, coming from the direction of the gas works

Havent heard it for ages now. Bet the bastard comes back tonight. Definitely a steady hum, like a car ticking over, coming from the direction of the gas works
Cheers, had an intermittent fluctuating kind of drone sound in my right ear for the past 6 months or so. Sometimes go a week or so without anything, then it's back. Looks like I'm not far from you, interesting to see a few people hear something near Grangey.

There's at least three drones flying over Seaham, Ryhope and Grangetown/Hendon most nights/early mornings, could be those?

There's at least three drones flying over Seaham, Ryhope and Grangetown/Hendon most nights/early mornings, could be those?
Possibly, when you say drones - just randoms flying drones?

Been a lot of reports on here of hearing a hum around the Sunderland area. Q, is it the hum or just some factories or drones? The hum cant be explained.

Whatever I heard wasnt a drone. Unless it was hovering in exactly the same spot for hours on end, night after night.

This was like a big diesel generator that was in a warehouse far away, just at the right distance that if it had been another 10 yards further away It wouldn't have been heard. I.e it was just within earshot. And drove me round the bend some nights. Dont think I've heard it for 6 months

My ‘constant hum’ is unfortunately more of a high pitched squeal or ringing. It’s not associated with a town or location but is in my brain and probably emanates from close proximity to Marshall stacks in the 70s and 80s.

Back