The Hum

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Look into Brown noise. It’s the homogeneous effect of multiple sound frequencies. Derived from White noise but modified to reduce higher frequency sounds. This could be almost anywhere there is background sound at low frequencies. It’s also possible that some humans don’t detect such low frequencies at a distance as others which would go some way to explaining why some hear it, others don’t.
I always thought the brown noise was the one that made you shit yourself.

Cheers southpark.

Yeah, in my bedroom at night, nowhere else in the house or outside. I figure it might be something in Newcastle Road Hospital, but why can’t I hear it outside?
My wife insists that she hears this hum everywhere. She's even gone for an audiology exam but they didn't find any problems. I have never heard it myself.

If never heard of it but my first thought, without reading the description of the sound itself, was I've had that before, inside on a night, like a distant diesel engine but can't hear it when I open the window to listen /figure out where it comes from.

:eek:

Its changed again.

I don't want to cause world panic but its probably those aliens I was banging on about.

edit: its just thunder.

Would have thought you'd be able to smell it first. For example, "that kid is humming" or "that old man hums".
That old man Hums

Who is editing the WIKI text on The Hum?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been telling our lass about it for a few years now, while in bed on a neet.
She can’t hear it but it’s sometimes drove me round the bend.
At times I’ve been up wandering around the house, looking outside trying to identify where it’s coming from.
Funnily enough lately I haven’t heard it.
Leechmere Industrial Estate is half a mile away so I’ve thought it may be from there.

I’ve been telling our lass about it for a few years now, while in bed on a neet.
At times I’ve been up wandering around the house, looking outside trying to identify where it’s coming from.
Leechmere Industrial Estate is half a mile away so I’ve thought it may be from there.
Can you record it?

Steve Punt did a full investigation of it in his Punt PI series a while back:

Punt PI - Series 9 - There's A Kind of Hum - BBC Sounds

Very interesting.
Just finished this, canny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hear it when I lived beside Whitburn Cricket Club. It sounded like some massive engine idling deep underground or far away. I thought it might be the sound of ships' engines on the Tyne or Wear.

I found out it was the chiller fans in the Cricket Club cellar harmonising to produce low-frequency hum.

In the light of my experience, could it be the cellar fans at that big pub on Leechmere Road?

Last edited:
I used to hear it when I lived beside Whitburn Cricket Club. It sounded like some massive engine idling deep underground or far away. I thought it might be the sound of ships' engines on the Tyne or Wear.

I found out it was the chiller fans in the Cricket Club cellar harmonising to produce low-frequency hum.

In the light of my experience, could it be the cellar fans at that big pub on Leechmere Road?
Could be mate. You’ve got The Holymere at the top and The Harvester at the bottom and a load of factories in between.

Back