The Hum

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
When I was little in SR3, on a very cold winter morning, like about -5 or less, you could definitely hear a hum, although I always used to think it was the buses going up Durham Road.

When I was little in SR3, on a very cold winter morning, like about -5 or less, you could definitely hear a hum, although I always used to think it was the buses going up Durham Road.
if it was -5 the roads would be frozen and the buses wouldn't be running

100% it used to keep me awake and drive me crackers (here in Grangetown). My Lass could just about hear it but it didn't bother her. I.bought some class ear plugs for sleeping with, they were about £20 and did the trick. I used to search all over for the source of the noise. Turned every single electric appliance off in the house. Go outside and you couldn't hear it. Always thought it was coming from the docks or the gas works down hendon. I always described it as a diesel engine car standing still, like a taxi waiting outside of a house. Haven't heard it for months thank God

100% it used to keep me awake and drive me crackers (here in Grangetown). My Lass could just about hear it but it didn't bother her. I.bought some class ear plugs for sleeping with, they were about £20 and did the trick. I used to search all over for the source of the noise. Turned every single electric appliance off in the house. Go outside and you couldn't hear it. Always thought it was coming from the docks or the gas works down hendon. I always described it as a diesel engine car standing still, like a taxi waiting outside of a house. Haven't heard it for months thank God

How close did you live to the old paper mill?

I used to be able to hear something but only in the bairns bedroom, and only then if I sat on one end of his bed. Same as you, turned the whole house off at the consumer unit but the noise remained

Grangetown too by the way.

The one down hendon Grange? 2 minutes walk

It may have something to do with that now that both the paper mill has gone and so too has the hum.

If you could hear it indoors, it’s possible that the rooms react to a particular frequency of sound wave. Wind blowing through the old mill (broken windows, open doors and plant inside) can travel, then appear to amplify inside of rooms with the same or similar natural harmonic frequencies (resonance).

It may have something to do with that now that both the paper mill has gone and so too has the hum.

If you could hear it indoors, it’s possible that the rooms react to a particular frequency of sound wave. Wind blowing through the old mill (broken windows, open doors and plant inside) can travel, then appear to amplify inside of rooms with the same or similar natural harmonic frequencies (resonance).

aye i always thought it could possibly be wind related, but when ever i heard it, it never seemed to come in waves like you would think. some nights it was just there, and some nights it wasnt

I used to be able to hear something but only in the bairns bedroom, and only then if I sat on one end of his bed. Same as you, turned the whole house off at the consumer unit but the noise remained

Grangetown too by the way.

aye i couldnt hear it at all downstairs, or in the bairns room which faces away from the coast. only in the rooms upstairs facing towards to sea. windows open or closed it seemed to be the same level, which is why i always thought it was coming from inside the house. i'd walk around ear-first in the dark trying to follow it to the source, but it just seemed to be in the air

Last edited:
aye i couldnt hear it at all downstairs, or in the bairns room which faces away from the coast. only in the rooms upstairs facing towards to sea. windows open or closed it seemed to be the same level, which is why i always thought it was coming from inside the house. i'd walk around ear-first in the dark trying to follow it to the source, but it just seemed to be in the air

Same here, weird.

Back