The Great North Run 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The charity places are still open according to the GNR page, I just want to know when I need to make the decision by as I'd like to at least do a couple of longer runs before I decide.

Right, I'd imagine you wouldn't have much longer left then. I didn't get one through the ballet but think I've managed to get one off someone who's injured and can't do it through work. Raising £300 is hard work like.

OK - looks like the 7th of July. Time for a couple of longer runs & then a ring around to see who has places left.

Right, I'd imagine you wouldn't have much longer left then. I didn't get one through the ballet but think I've managed to get one off someone who's injured and can't do it through work. Raising £300 is hard work like.

As it gets close to the deadline some of the charities are willing to lower their requirements rather than get nothing at all. I did it for Marie Curie Cancer Care about 10 years back & they were willing to accept a slightly higher deposit & then whatever I could raise.

Last edited:
As it gets close to the deadline some of the charities are willing to lower their requirements rather than get nothing at all. I did it for Marie Curie Cancer Care about 10 years back & they were willing to accept a slightly higher deposit & then whatever I could raise.

I've only collected for charity once when I did an ultra last year, I found that some people are quite reluctant to part with their cash even when I was doing something like running an extremely long race.

I've only collected for charity once when I did an ultra last year, I found that some people are quite reluctant to part with their cash even when I was doing something like running an extremely long race.

Yeah, I got stung for just over £280 in donations that were promised & then dodged £12 years back. I'd much rather pay a bit extra up front & have less fundraising pressure so I could only ask for donations from people I trust to pay up.

Yeah, I got stung for just over £280 in donations that were promised & then dodged £12 years back. I'd much rather pay a bit extra up front & have less fundraising pressure so I could only ask for donations from people I trust to pay up.

I just did it off my own back so had no target which wasn't too bad but some people see just so tight.

Im running for Heel & Toe Charity and im sure they still have some places left. You need to pay the £49 registration fee and then raise £225 (lowest ive seen about)

I know, I'm just struggling with motivation for the longer runs. 4-5 miles is fine but beyond that I just want to die. Always have difficulty reminding myself to keep it slower at the start rather than flying out of the blocks and ending up knackered before I cover any real distance.

17lb heavier than last years run and needed to prove to myself I could still do the distance so went out for a slow half marathon the other night. 2 hours 17, 15 mins slower than last years GNR. Still 6 weeks left to shift a few pounds and to improve.

This'll be my fourth run, the other three I got in through the ballot but missed out this year so I got a place through British Heart Foundation for whom I volunteer. I wanted to get in this year because it's the fortieth anniversary of my Grandma's passing from heart disease so I wanted to run in her memory as well as raising more money for the BHF. Go to justgiving.com and search for "Louisa Beek" if anyone wants to donate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back