The great Durham cricket shuffle 2018

They are a strange bunch. I remember a few years ago in the NTSL they were one of the main reasons for not getting the start earlier than 2pm as 2 or 3 of their lads worked on the carpets. I know they win that league virtually every year, but it must genuinely get boring after a while. Not sure about the past couple of years but they splashed out a fortune back in the day, at the expense of a junior section, with very little chance of making your way into the 1st team as a young player.

With Shotley and Ashington going that league is really weak now, surely they will decide to move on at some point.

Didn't they lose their junior system to Greenside in 2017 though?

Have they started it up again?

Didn't they lose their junior system to Greenside in 2017 though?

Have they started it up again?
Said person has left (or maybe pushed) Greenside now too as well i think. Something not quite right if you hawk your kids around all the local clubs and then try and take over then leave within a couple of years

I think Nicky Phillips runs the juniors now

South Hetton?

Then that leaves Stanhope, Coundon, Tantobie, Simonside or Kibblesworth.

Plus Kimblesworth promoted subject to two criteria. A team is relegated to the DCL And a ground inspection tomorrow.

Last edited:
Purely playing devils advocate if Brandon can apply to the DCL whats stopping South Hetton or Wearmouth ?
That's kind of my point. A few clubs in the NEDCL have show interest in moving up the leagues e.g. Kimblesworth / Burnhope

Kimblesworth have a right to enter the DCL because they were champions, I can imagine Burnhope not being overly happy if just any club can apply to join the league.

That's kind of my point. A few clubs in the NEDCL have show interest in moving up the leagues e.g. Kimblesworth / Burnhope

Kimblesworth have a right to enter the DCL because they were champions, I can imagine Burnhope not being overly happy if just any club can apply to join the league.
Having said all of that - I'm hearing that Brandon are set to go in Division 2. Not confirmed yet though obviously.

Last edited:

Burnhope voted to not go up. As it wasn't sustainable for the club, that's from club officials.
As far as I'm aware Kimblesworth passed their ground inspection. So looks like they will be promoted.

What I meant to say is there has been no applications to the NEDCL from outside clubs ie Brandon.
I'd find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be taken into the DCL, ie relegated.

Back