The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 1.5M people attended the last World Cup in Canada. Mostly Locals
The average attendance was 26,000 and over 54,000 attended Canada v England. Tiny attendance for a World Cup and cheap tickets

Tonights opening game between France and South Korea, at the Parc des Princes, is a sell-out. Cheap tickets and gave loads away free

Check out some of the attendances at the men's World Cup before football became fashionable. It was a developing game

The 1990 semi-final v Germany wasn't even a sell-out. And?

Ah you're right, it's only worth supporting your team if they win. That's why I love this Manchester City message board.
Haway man. It’s womans football. Utter wank.

The average attendance was 26,000 and over 54,000 attended Canada v England. Tiny attendance for a World Cup and cheap tickets

That was just the seventh ever women's World Cup.

At the seventh men's World Cup, the average attendance was just over 24,000.

Check out some of the attendances at the men's World Cup before football became fashionable. It was a developing game

Much like the women's game then.

Realistically England to win by a couple, but I think we have a chance of sneaking a draw. I'm going for an optimistic 1-1

That's why they play the match, I can see this going one of two ways:

Scotland plays for a draw and hangs on 90+ minutes for a 0-0, frustrating the England lasses ... or

Neville subs Beth Mead at 65' and she scores within 5 minutes, for what should be a 1-0 win. But Scotland tries for the equalizer and gets caught in a counter and concedes another late goal for 2-0.

Women's football was doing O.K. until the F.A. banned it because it was becoming a bit too popular. They're starting from scratch again.

It doesn't cost the clubs 'a bomb'. If it did they wouldn't run women's teams. According to David Sullivan, it costs 'peanuts' to run West Ham's women's team.
It costs somewhere between 1m and 3.5m per annum to run a WSL team and at the moment there’s no upside. Everyone is desperate to make it wash its face. Which it may if this is a good WC. Lot riding in England, I sometimes fear too much.

Scotland plays for a draw and hangs on 90+ minutes for a 0-0, frustrating the England lasses ... or

Neville subs Beth Mead at 65' and she scores within 5 minutes, for what should be a 1-0 win. But Scotland tries for the equalizer and gets caught in a counter and concedes another late goal for 2-0.
I reckon nil nil.

It costs somewhere between 1m and 3.5m per annum to run a WSL team and at the moment there’s no upside. Everyone is desperate to make it wash its face. Which it may if this is a good WC. Lot riding in England, I sometimes fear too much.

^ THIS.
Hope for bigger television revenues (bigger audiences) for the league matches, plus boost of corporate sponsorship from WC glow.

^ THIS.
Hope for bigger television revenues (bigger audiences) for the league matches, plus boost of corporate sponsorship from WC glow.
The manager and his team, particularly the sports psychs, need to be doing all they can to ringfence the players from it.

I'd be happy with 0-0. Get a win against maybe Argentina. Could well be enough to get through the group.

Are you in Nice now? We noticed a fan zone yesterday and we're going to look for it again later this afternoon.
That was a bit rubbish. They wouldn't let us in with water bottles. Might try again on Sunday before the game.

I'd be happy with 0-0. Get a win against maybe Argentina. Could well be enough to get through the group.

That was a bit rubbish. They wouldn't let us in with water bottles. Might try again on Sunday before the game.

The best set of third place teams make it to the group stage iirc, so Scotland does not have to finish first or second.

The best set of third place teams make it to the group stage iirc, so Scotland does not have to finish first or second.

Edit: four third places teams advance (so the group stages eliminates all 6 last place teams and 2 of the worst 3rd place teams; 24 teams down to 16).

Last edited:

Edit: four third places teams advance (so the group stages eliminates all 6 last place teams and 2 of the worst 3rd place teams; 24 teams down to 16).
A single win would probably be enough then. In typical Scotland style we'll probably miss out on goals scored because of some stoppage time own goal somewhere :lol:

The scotch are shit at everything apart from whisky there wee jock poppycock. We will smash you at anything we want.

Hopefully we will be knocked out ASAP. Absolute joke.

Look at the state of it man :lol:

Sunderland men's team have been awful to watch for ten years now.
As far as goalkeepers are concerned it took probably the worst keepers howler in Wembley history for safc to manage a goal a few weeks back......and the keeper looked a bit gadgyish to mr.

It’s like putting Ronny Corbett in goal to face Barcelona. They’d take the piss. The whole thing let down by one player being shit.
Shame safc couldn't do it to charltobs donkey keeper

Last edited:
Think France is it.
England possibly.
Maybe Netherlands as a dark horse.

USWNT lacks team chemistry.

Have stuck a few quid on the Netherlands. Think they'll surprise a few. Plus they have Vivianne Miedema in their side and she's just come off a brilliant goalscoring season at Arsenal. She's one to watch out for. Will be keeping an eye out for the Arsenal lasses but supporting Scotland. Shelley Kerr has done brilliantly to get us to the World Cup and in Kim Little we have a player that would get into any women's team.

All the big kit manufacturers have FINALLY produced shirts that specifically fit women and done a good job - they look great and they haven’t gone down the “sex it up” path. The French one is superb and if I wasn’t supporting England I’d buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back