The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same criticism often levelled at the male refs at the mens' world cups actually.
This is true, we need the best officials full stop, not making up quota’s to keep everyone happy. The present set up is not fair on the players and the paying public who pay a lot of money and deserve better.

I’ve had a conversation with @janiep about this in the past and I think this is her view too - the best refs in the world right now are men - that’s just fact because of where the game has come from. While I understand that having female refs is the best thing for female refs, it’s not necessarily the best thing for the women’s game.

What we need is probably a focus on getting female refs up to a good standard and working in the men’s game (like tennis for example) but in the meantime, a world class tournament needs world class refs. At the moment, those are men.
I completely agree HellsBells.
Though referees, both male and female, are prone to mistakes now and then, this tournament is getting so much tv coverage around the world, the WWC deserves to have the best referees for a tournament of this magnitude.

I’ve had a conversation with @janiep about this in the past and I think this is her view too - the best refs in the world right now are men - that’s just fact because of where the game has come from. While I understand that having female refs is the best thing for female refs, it’s not necessarily the best thing for the women’s game.

What we need is probably a focus on getting female refs up to a good standard and working in the men’s game (like tennis for example) but in the meantime, a world class tournament needs world class refs. At the moment, those are men.

As the women's game grows then the female refs will become better. At the minute it's not at the point where the female officials are used to officiating under such pressure and not only is it showing but it's portraying a poor image of the womens game.

I must add, as someone who couldn't watch women's football 10 years ago, that I've thoroughly enjoyed this tournament and how much the game has progressed. I'll even watch the semi in the pub if our lasses get there.

I know the linos are told to err on the side of caution for offside decisions, but if it is definitely offside, why don't they flag straight away?

Good save by wall wall.

Last edited:
As the women's game grows then the female refs will become better. At the minute it's not at the point where the female officials are used to officiating under such pressure and not only is it showing but it's portraying a poor image of the womens game.

I must add, as someone who couldn't watch women's football 10 years ago, that I've thoroughly enjoyed this tournament and how much the game has progressed. I'll even watch the semi in the pub if our lasses get there.

I’ve decided my likelihood to watch football depends less on the standard of the ability on show and more on the camera work/production.

That said the quality on show has been decent.

Have the VAR teams been mainly men or has it been a mix?

Am impressed by China, here.
They're playing some good attacking football, and have come close to scoring, a number of times.

China have had a lot of decent possession, but look wanting when it gets to the penalty box.

Still - just one goal in it.

Keeper just a bit slow to get back into the middle.

- posts merged ! -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back