The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

I’ve watched none of this apart from highlights of the Cameroon’s game

Are England in with a decent shout of winning this?
Got arguably the best finisher in the competition which counts for an awful lot. On team showings England look less polished and accomplished than no 3 in the World would suggest. But so do the other top seeds look less convincing than their respective rank as well, so.

Norway probably produced the most impressive single display out of any team so far.

All footballers should know nothing can stop the final whistle apart from a penna and Canada win a corner after the freekick. So what do they do? The lass who took the freekick runs across the other side of the pitch to take it.

There's 7 mins extra time and that free kick was at 6:57 so basically seconds left. The free kick is taken and the ball goes out at 8:11 for a corner and the lass gets the ball in the corner at 8:24. Even then she pisses about and takes until 8:42 to kick the ball in so another 30 seconds before the ball is in play? How f***ing thick can players be as refs have blown for full time regardless of a corner/throw in not being taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got arguably the best finisher in the competition which counts for an awful lot. On team showings England look less polished and accomplished than no 3 in the World would suggest. But so do the other top seeds look less convincing than their respective rank as well, so.

Norway probably produced the most impressive single display out of any team so far.
Thanks. Might have a look if they get to the semis

I would suggest janiep is a touch too pessimistic. Ok - USA are favourites, but I'd put is in the next tier, so that's surely 'in with a decent shout'?

And it's not a league, but a knockout tournament, and we look very determined and strong - almost Germanic. :eek::D

Aye Norway will be tough - it's a quarter final, you expect that.

All footballers should know nothing can stop the final whistle apart from a penna and Canada win a corner after the freekick. So what do they do? The lass who took the freekick runs across the other side of the pitch to take it.

There's 7 mins extra time and that free kick was at 6:57 so basically seconds left. The free kick is taken and the ball goes out at 8:11 for a corner and the lass gets the ball in the corner at 8:24. Even then she pisses about and takes until 8:42 to kick the ball in so another 30 seconds before the ball is in play? How f***ing thick can players be as refs have blown for full time regardless of a corner/throw in not being taken.
Clive Thomas likes this post.
Logon or register to see this image

I would suggest janiep is a touch too pessimistic. Ok - USA are favourites, but I'd put is in the next tier, so that's surely 'in with a decent shout'?

And it's not a league, but a knockout tournament, and we look very determined and strong - almost Germanic. :eek::D

Aye Norway will be tough - it's a quarter final, you expect that.
It's Norway that makes me stop and pause. They were very good.

Who are left in and the likely winners are?
Confirmed quaterfinalists so far: France, Norway, USA, Sweden, Germany, Engalnd
Remaining q'finalists to come from: China, Italy, Holland, Japan (they all play tomorrow)

It still remains very open. Out of the above, I can't see China or Japan progressing to the final. Can't see Sweden winning it. But all of the others, on their day - I can't call it.

It's Norway that makes me stop and pause. They were very good.

Confirmed quaterfinalists so far: France, Norway, USA, Sweden, Germany, Engalnd
Remaining q'finalists to come from: China, Italy, Holland, Japan (they all play tomorrow)

It still remains very open. Out of the above, I can't see China or Japan progressing to the final. But all of the others, on their day - I can't call it.
Thank you. That’s me fully genned up

I've watched about ten live games so far of the tournament and I just can't get in to it. I'm watching it, hoping that as the rounds go on, the quality of play, entertainment and on pitch drama will increase, but it just doesn't. I don't see how the women's game, on an international level will ever become a genuinely competitive and entertaining sport, unless they make fundamental changes. I am glad England are doing well, but it's not really gripping the nation as I thought it would considering the hype. I don't think throwing money at the game (in this current format) will improve it either, changes need to be made.

So are you are trying to say VAR is worse as it uses a single frame of time that isn't precise yet a human eye from 1 unique viewing angle that has been proven to have a huge margin of error is more acceptable?

VAR can't be precise to the mm, there's no debate on that but it can narrow the margin of error right down.

VAR can’t be precise to the mm so why enforce it as if it is. Hence introduce the margin of error as determined by the accuracy or lack thereof of the technology

VAR can’t be precise to the mm so why enforce it as if it is. Hence introduce the margin of error as determined by the accuracy or lack thereof of the technology
It's pretty obvious why they enforce it even though it's not perfect because the margin of error with VAR is far less than the margin of error using the human eye.

If nobody was bothered about officials making genuine mistakes given the hard task of trying to see what's going on with 1 viewing angle, quite often at distance with numerous players running various directions and differing speeds along with trying to see when a ball is hit and also a sometimes limited view of players are partially in the way we'd be fine.

Not every VAR offside decision will be 2 players crossing paths. With the Man City goal against Spurs in the Champions League Final, Aguero was never onside in the move so it didn't matter when they froze the play at the point of the pass to check the offside officially. The linesman didn't even flag so that would mean Man City would have got the Final and Spurs would have missed out.

It's not only fans who have moaned about officials for years about incorrect offside decisions, it's managers and players and now they've brought in a method to reduce the margin of error by a considerable amount people still aren't any happier and if anything moaning even more! :lol:

Back