The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have played well in any game yet but we keep on winning.
We are weak on the left wing due to a shortage of left footers. Meade and Duggan just aren’t getting early crosses in or having shots. Plus with our RB being the best in the world the opposition are targeting the other wing. Which as above is our weak side.
A LW of merely this teams average ability would fill me with more hope.

Last edited:

We are weak on the left wing due to a shortage of left footers. Meade and Duggan just aren’t getting early crosses in or having shots. Plus with our RB being the best in the world the opposition are targeting the other wing. Which as above is our weak side.
Duggan flatters to deceive and for me Kirby is the same, but we keep winning.

If it were me I’d be playing a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. It’s not played the same way as the men’s game so why play the same shape. Most of these matches are played in the middle of the pitch and a lot of the full backs aren’t great going forward. We’re the exception as bronze and greenwood look great going forward. Give them the flanks, load the centre midfield and shoot on sight!

Been surprised by the quality of passing in this tournament, in previous years its been bad but much improved this time. How many years has it been since safc did a pass like that sweden one for the goal 25 seconds?. Honeyman would have just held on to the ball in that postion then turned back and passed it to the left back... bring her home ;)

Women's World Cup 2019: Sweden beat Canada to set up Germany quarter-final

Last edited:
Been surprised by the quality of passing in this tournament, in previous years its been bad but much improved this time. How many years has it been since safc did a pass like that sweden one for the goal 25 seconds?. Honeyman would have just held on to the ball in that postion then turned back and passed it to the left back... bring her home ;)

Women's World Cup 2019: Sweden beat Canada to set up Germany quarter-final
I’ve been really impressed by the passing and control in general not sure if it’s increased recently or that I’ve just gotten used to watching Sunderland and League 1 for too long.

I just read that report that the ref chose not to give England a penalty and not to give a red card at the end both to avoid a Cameroon walk out.

Surely that can't be correct?

I just read that report that the ref chose not to give England a penalty and not to give a red card at the end both to avoid a Cameroon walk out.

You got any direct quotes from the ref in question or is it just speculation? It does sound possible though, she really was that bad.

Doesn’t surprise me.

I think the fact not one Cameroon player received a yellow card for the way they acted on speaks volumes.

That referee was a complete pushover.

In the same article they say ref was assessed as Good. If all this is true then may as well make laws up as they go along. Making this competition a joke

I don't believe that. It's an obvious suspicion that somebody might have but impossible to know unless the ref has said it, which she is obviously not going to. The tackle at the end was late but not the two footed lunge you need for a guaranteed red card. Plus, as it was in double added time already it barely mattered if they walked off then.

I think she was trying to appease the players and doing her best to avoid an extremely hostile scenario. She was probably intimidated and slightly fearful about repercussions as a result of their outrageous tantrums. People have slaughtered the ref and of course she should have been stronger but as she lacked experience of such a high profile game she probably wanted to back away from an all out flare up.

I think she was trying to appease the players and doing her best to avoid an extremely hostile scenario. She was probably intimidated and slightly fearful about repercussions as a result of their outrageous tantrums. People have slaughtered the ref and of course she should have been stronger but as she lacked experience of such a high profile game she probably wanted to back away from an all out flare up.
Then she should not be officiating at this level. This is a high profile competition and one way and another FIFA have made a dogs breakfast of the officiating. They should have had the best refs and assistants no matter what their sex is. The womens game cannot progress with poor referee’s.

Daily Telegraph
So just speculation at this stage then.

Then she should not be officiating at this level. This is a high profile competition and one way and another FIFA have made a dogs breakfast of the officiating. They should have had the best refs and assistants no matter what their sex is. The womens game cannot progress with poor referee’s.

The standard of the reffing has been poor, plenty of male refs are poor as well mind. At least with all female refs it avoids bullshit accusations a la Serena Williams of sexism. Who knows, perhaps female officials in this tournament will give the better ones some experience to allow them to officiate in men's tournaments.

So just speculation at this stage then.

The standard of the reffing has been poor, plenty of male refs are poor as well mind. At least with all female refs it avoids bullshit accusations a la Serena Williams of sexism. Who knows, perhaps female officials in this tournament will give the better ones some experience to allow them to officiate in men's tournaments.
Casey Stoney, (ex England player) has an article in the Daily Mirror today, saying that a high profile tournament like this World Cup tournament, needs the best referees, whether they be male or female.

Last edited by a moderator:
To much political correctness. It is obvious that some of the refs at this tournament have not officiated at this level or under the levels of scrutiny they are facing. This has been highlighted by the pundits who are almost exclusively female. A ref should not be afraid to make the correct decision because it may upset some players who may react adversely, it demeans the competition.

To much political correctness. It is obvious that some of the refs at this tournament have not officiated at this level or under the levels of scrutiny they are facing. This has been highlighted by the pundits who are almost exclusively female. A ref should not be afraid to make the correct decision because it may upset some players who may react adversely, it demeans the competition.
The same criticism often levelled at the male refs at the mens' world cups actually.

Casey Stoney, (ex England player) has an article in the Daily Mirror today, saying that a high profile tournament like this World Cup tournament, needs the best referees, whether they be male or female.
I’ve had a conversation with @janiep about this in the past and I think this is her view too - the best refs in the world right now are men - that’s just fact because of where the game has come from. While I understand that having female refs is the best thing for female refs, it’s not necessarily the best thing for the women’s game.

What we need is probably a focus on getting female refs up to a good standard and working in the men’s game (like tennis for example) but in the meantime, a world class tournament needs world class refs. At the moment, those are men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back