The difference a good manager can make

:cool:

Imagine a manager had signed this lot, would he be peddled ? i think so.

Bishop
Triantis
Seelt
Hjelde
Styles
Pembele
Mundle
Aouchiche
Dack
Mayenda
Rusyn
Hemir
Burstow
Burstow looks poor. They’re all kids apart from Rusyn iirc.Some already look good enough for top half championship football, some may take a year or two. Some possibly won’t make it.
The owners are working to a time scale whether we like it or not. Looking at the list on the owners terms there’s nowt to sack a manager with there. Yet.

Last edited:
I'm sure Steven Gerrard would have got Villa in to the top 4 if they just gave him time.
Not a lot of people realise this, but Alex Ferguson almost got sacked early on in his Manchester United career and look what happened there.
I've a feeling Villa might regret sacking Gerrard as they may have missed out on the next Alex Ferguson.

I'm sure Steven Gerrard would have got Villa in to the top 4 if they just gave him time.
Not a lot of people realise this, but Alex Ferguson almost got sacked early on in his Manchester United career and look what happened there.
I've a feeling Villa might regret sacking Gerrard as they may have missed out on the next Alex Ferguson.
We shoulda kept Beale then on that rationale. Ferguson will have benefitted from teams giving managers longer to come good back in the day but that’s not a luxury they can afford in the modern game with so much money at stake and social media criticism if they aren’t seen to be proactive when the manager isn’t performing

Last edited:
Didn't Steve Gerrard have control over transfers and appointment his backroom staff though?
What a weird thing to bring up in this instance
Precisely. A manager should have a say of course but you can't give them free reign on everything.
I thought everyone knew how close Ferguson was to getting the sack?! Or is it an age thing?

Last edited:
Tried that here, almost bankrupted us
I think the model where the coach has a huge if not total input into who we sign and get rid off is the way to go with the caveat that they have to work within the budget of the club...... buying players just because they might make a profit down the line without an eye on the needs of the team/squad will lead to footballing disaster if not a fiscal one!

Allowing a manager control over transfers and able to appoint his own backroom staff.

Priceless.
Yeah agreed, he has a vision and I think as big a thing for Villa and Emery is them having Monchi as Director of Football. What they did in Sevilla is being replicated and bettered now. It was a fantastic appointment by them.

I think the model where the coach has a huge if not total input into who we sign and get rid off is the way to go with the caveat that they have to work within the budget of the club...... buying players just because they might make a profit down the line without an eye on the needs of the team/squad will lead to footballing disaster if not a fiscal one!
Managers will always look into the short term
Why would a manager be looking at players for 3-4 years time. Why would a manager be caring about a clubs finances in 3-4 yrs time?most managers
The average manager over all 4 divisions lasts 11 months .
Managers don't look at long term and that's why it's ludicrous that managers have autonomy in transfers
That's the football and fiscal disaster

Last edited:
Only if you get the appointment right so they're at the club long term. During Shorts reign giving managers full control of transfers bit us in the arse. Especially with Moyes.

Out of all the managers we’ve had, you’d have thought moyes would have been the one you could have trusted to do that. He’d had good success previously been trusted to build with full control but he shit himself and rebuilt the team with people he knew regardless of how bad a fit they might have been

Out of all the managers we’ve had, you’d have thought moyes would have been the one you could have trusted to do that. He’d had good success previously been trusted to build with full control but he shit himself and rebuilt the team with people he knew regardless of how bad a fit they might have been
He also seemed to just discard all of Allardyces January signings that had ended the season so well.

Back