The difference a good manager can make

A good manager makes all of the difference. Him and the chairman are the most important people at the club. A good manager galvanises the squad, makes the better players more settled at the club and less likely to want to leave. I wonder when it is our turn to appoint a good manager. Do we think this chairman has what it takes to get it right?
We’ve appointed two decent ones fairly recently to be fair in Neil and Mowbray. I could’ve saw Neil staying for years if he hadn’t saw the pound signs when Stoke came calling.

He only joined Villa last summer
Aaaaaaah. Every days a school day on here.
First two posts n posters on this thread looking a bit meh now.
We’ve appointed two decent ones fairly recently to be fair in Neil and Mowbray. I could’ve saw Neil staying for years if he hadn’t saw the pound signs when Stoke came calling.
Aye. He needs to stick to HCing as he seems very good “in game” but shite in the transfer market.

For me Allardyce stood out like a sore thumb amongst some of the other managers we appointed around that time, never seen anything like the 2nd half of that season, only lost twice from Jan onwards iirc...would be a great figurehead to work within the current coaching model imo.
I liked him
Yes but I’m talking about two levels above them. That’s what we need in reality to be really good.

Last edited:
Only if you get the appointment right so they're at the club long term. During Shorts reign giving managers full control of transfers bit us in the arse. Especially with Moyes.
I think the money squandered under Advocaat was the most damaging long-term.

And tin hat on here, but Allardyce's spending didn't help matter either going into the summer.

I liked him

Yes but I’m talking about two levels above them. That’s what we need in reality to be really good.
Aye, realised that after I saw another post you’d made after mine. To be fair though, how many clubs achieve that? Even the top clubs struggle and only get it right from time to time. And the sad reality for anyone except about 3 clubs in this country is that any manager of that calibre you do appoint will be poached and snapped up by a team further up the pyramid before they get a chance to stay and build anything long term.

Aye, realised that after I saw another post you’d made after mine. To be fair though, how many clubs achieve that? Even the top clubs struggle and only get it right from time to time. And the sad reality for anyone except about 3 clubs in this country is that any manager of that calibre you do appoint will be poached and snapped up by a team further up the pyramid before they get a chance to stay and build anything long term.
This is the problem, but if you do get it right by either making a lucky appointment or by design (which in our case seems unlikely) then the managers relationship with the chairman, staff and fans is paramount. Then it’s can be the heart string effect which can make a person want to stay.

Two levels above isn’t coming here. Ever.
The best we can hope for is to catch one on the rise. Unless a local lad turns out to actually be one and is happy to stay in the NE.
Agree, we need to catch one at the beginning of his career. I think that is why they are holding out for Will Still, they might think he is one of those alpha managers in the making

Agree, we need to catch one at the beginning of his career. I think that is why they are holding out for Will Still, they might think he is one of those alpha managers in the making
Read an article the other day saying West Ham were interested in him and he’s also a boyhood fan. Not sure if it has any substance or just speculation.
Moyes was due to sign a new 2.5 year deal in December but apparently he’s on thin ice now given recent results

Decent compo anarl when Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG and the rest of the ESL clubs are scrapping ower him.

Read an article the other day saying West Ham were interested in him and he’s also a boyhood fan. Not sure if it has any substance or just speculation.
Moyes was due to sign a new 2.5 year deal in December but apparently he’s on thin ice now given recent results
He is definitely a West Ham Fan. Let’s hope moyes sticks around a bit longer the tit.

Allowing a manager control over transfers and able to appoint his own backroom staff.

Priceless.
We went through numerous managers who we gave control over transfers & basically started again year on year, with bloated squads, overpaid players & a horrendous record of making losses on every single player, apart from two I think.

Allowing the manger input into the conversations would be more appropriate, but we seem to have universally blamed Mowbray for Dack.

The back room staff, aye, think we need to be a bit more flexible there. As long as they’re not bringing in all of their mates for a jolly.

Back