The demise of a good chant.

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve never been more upset. Might start shouting at random shops.
I'm reliably informed that it's better to shout at a specific shop, particularly if it's one that financially supports the club you support. Then again complete random selection does keep you on the edge :)

One thing that hasn't helped over the past few seasons is how most of our players have been totally shite mercenaries who have had no allegiance to the club and didn't deserve songs. Also it's been fuckin terrible watching us, not the best atmosphere to get new chants going.

Maybe there should be a sticky on here with the words to all our chants in, so if people don't know the words to a certain chant it's easy to source it if they want to join in. Imo it's bloody difficult to pick up the words of chants you don't know the words to at home games.

One thing that hasn't helped over the past few seasons is how most of our players have been totally shite mercenaries who have had no allegiance to the club and didn't deserve songs. Also it's been fuckin terrible watching us, not the best atmosphere to get new chants going.

Maybe there should be a sticky on here with the words to all our chants in, so if people don't know the words to a certain chant it's easy to source it if they want to join in. Imo it's bloody difficult to pick up the words of chants you don't know the words to at home games.
Canny idea that.

Sadly - chants of "soft as shite" and "get off the f***ing pitch" are no longer sung to opposition players when they are injured.:lol:

On a slightly different note why did we stop singing come on you reds at corners the fulwell knocked that out great and also around when and why did we stop Sunderland aces?? I'm coming up 35 in January and always like the song but seemed to have dropped it in the past 10 to 15 year

Gone is "you'll never walk alone" as well.:cry:
Always looked good when the Fulwell sang it with their scarves held aloft.

Last edited:
imagine pulling off like a 7/8 line chant man, all our fans would learn the song overtime and would be brilliant and more exciting when sung.
On the same line as this, how about using the South American 'Sos Cagon' tune. (Make Juan feel at home ;))
I remember we had a one when the SFG were about but it never got off the ground.

Tin hat on but a lot of new chants come from lads on a bus to a game who are pissed up. They're listening to some tunes and randomly a chant comes out of it. Generally this is done by the younger lads, not many over 30 invent chants in my experience. Trouble is, quite a few younger lads nowadays don't seem to get pissed, certainly not as much as the previous generation. I feel like this is hindering our chant development

On the same line as this, how about using the South American 'Sos Cagon' tune. (Make Juan feel at home ;))
I remember we had a one when the SFG were about but it never got off the ground.

Too many changes in tempo. Would turn into a grunt

How does a person get a new song started anyway?

Do you have to stand up during a quiet period of a match and sing it yourself in front of 30,000 people and hope someone joins in?
Nowadays, as @Guinness Guzzler says, it tends to be pissed up lads on the way to matches in coaches, minibuses, cars etc. The video goes on Twitter & Facebook and becomes a thing.
I quite liked the idea of a new chant thread pinned on this board for any suggestions/improvements etc.

Too many changes in tempo. Would turn into a grunt
:lol::lol:
Make it easy enough for even our lot

Nowadays, as @Guinness Guzzler says, it tends to be pissed up lads on the way to matches in coaches, minibuses, cars etc. The video goes on Twitter & Facebook and becomes a thing.
I quite liked the idea of a new chant thread pinned on this board for any suggestions/improvements etc.

:lol::lol:
Make it easy enough for even our lot
Good idea imo.

We are hitting a one word limit for chants though.

Red and White Army and Ha'way The lads are two that gets more crowd participation.. I would love our crowd to learn and sing all the words to Wise Men Say and sing it with scarves and flags raised high..

Isn't this is how it's always been? Obviously not the Twitter/Facebook thing, but lads on coaches, then in to the pubs then on to the terraces.
I was mainly aiming it at the Twitter/Facebook element. A good few years ago though, it was fan's groups creating and publishing them or just a group in the stand. Now you could be on the way to the match, upload a vid to Twitter and it could be sung by the entire away end by kick off time

How does a person get a new song started anyway?

Do you have to stand up during a quiet period of a match and sing it yourself in front of 30,000 people and hope someone joins in?
you have to first propose it to the SMB and take some grief, get it started on a bus with a few of your mates and watch nee one join in, sing it in the stands for nobody to join in then give up mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back