The demise of a good chant.

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

On a different note to the thread about the lack of atmosphere on Saturday; What's with the lack of originality when it comes to the chants on a match day? We used to be inventive with the likes of the Mignolet, Bent & Cisse songs.

On the whole it seems like if there's anything more than 5 words in a chant we can't handle it & just break down into a wild grunt. Noticed at the weekend when the South Stand tried to sing the Teachers had a dream song & a good proportion of people couldn't get the words right, breaking down into a grunt until the final line '6 league titles still going strong'. Everything gets sped up anarl, it's like we can't wait till we get to the end of the song.

We can do better than grunting out songs or 1 word chants for players like Gooch & Hume because we can't come up with anything else. Definitely feel like the lack of a good chant is hurting the atmosphere.

Good shout, this is an absolute class chant
should be our number 1 song from now on, tells our our history of 140 years in 20 seconds

Good shout, this is an absolute class chant
should be our number 1 song from now on, tells our our history of 140 years in 20 seconds
As long as it's the "and then one day in 1879,it all came along, and Sunderland we're born" then yes.
That one knicked word from word for Rangers is poor like

The musical timing of football fans has never been the best. "The Sunderland Boot Boys" never makes it to the end because it's so fast and out of time :lol:
The best chanters are the scots, Rangers & Celtic have some cracking ones and always stay in time. Shame their league is shit but they still have a passionate support.
I went to a celtic league game about 15 years ago and it was brilliant from 20 minutes before kick off, singing loads of different songs until about 30 minutes in when 3-0 up and then it just died cos the opposition were so shite. Celtic stopped trying, 2nd half was dull as dishwater and it finished 3-0

The best chanters are the scots, Rangers & Celtic have some cracking ones and always stay in time. Shame their league is shit but they still have a passionate support.
I went to a celtic league game about 15 years ago and it was brilliant from 20 minutes before kick off, singing loads of different songs until about 30 minutes in when 3-0 up and then it just died cos the opposition were so shite. Celtic stopped trying, 2nd half was dull as dishwater and it finished 3-0
Did you wear a balaclava while singing your Fenian bile?

its because people won't try and get new songs going, aye if someone comes up with a chant and you dont like it then lets make an improvement. if someone posted on here with the cisse chant, mignolet chant or even the bent chant lately it would get shot down in 5 posts.

its because people won't try and get new songs going, aye if someone comes up with a chant and you dont like it then lets make an improvement. if someone posted on here with the cisse chant, mignolet chant or even the bent chant lately it would get shot down in 5 posts.
Ultimately, this

look at songs Celtic sing, all wordy long songs (Scott Sinclair song) they all learnt it and sing it perfect....our fans cant handle more than 5 word chants, we are our own worst enemy for the shite atmosphere and lack of chants

THIS TOPIC GETS ME FUMING LIKE

look at songs Celtic sing, all wordy long songs (Scott Sinclair song) they all learnt it and sing it perfect....our fans cant handle more than 5 word chants, we are our own worst enemy for the shite atmosphere and lack of chants
Again, this.

The fact that our fans seem to want to get every song at 10x speed doesn't help.

What I've noticed is that many of our chants that now get off the ground have been started in minibuses, coaches, pubs on the way to matches and the videos spread on social media.
You get very few from us that are posted on here and actually make it

imagine pulling off like a 7/8 line chant man, all our fans would learn the song overtime and would be brilliant and more exciting when sung.
Perseverance is key

What I've noticed is that many of our chants that now get off the ground have been started in minibuses, coaches, pubs on the way to matches and the videos spread on social media.
You get very few from us that are posted on here and actually make it

Perseverance is key
it is my aim to get a good one going by Christmas through the busses first ;)

imagine pulling off like a 7/8 line chant man, all our fans would learn the song overtime and would be brilliant and more exciting when sung.

This could be a starter for a song for Denver Hume for example

This could be a starter for a song for Denver Hume for example
I hindsight, might be too slow to get of the ground but the "in my room" bit fits his name perfectly.

There's a world where I can go and tell my secrets to
In my room, in my room
In this world I lock out all my worries and my fears
In my room, in my room

Last edited:
I actually think all these "new" chants ruin the atmosphere. Mainly because most are a bit shite. The odd 1 that is canny, generally tends to take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back