The decline of British pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smaller villages that are reasonably affluent is exactly where I can see them making sense. You need the affluent people to back it. Affluent areas that aren’t rural won’t have a major issue with people supporting the local pub.
There is one in Ryton which was a brewery backed pub that shut down and now looking to open as community pub. £250 buy in for locals so not unreasonable.

6 days to Christmas day? Yes, I would say so. I've never managed a bar but I know a fuckton of bar managers.
Depends on the pub mind. A bar manager should know his crowd.
6 days to Christmas I know of plenty that would be dead. But others that will be stowed. If they have a restaurant you can estimate based on your bookings.

Depends on the pub mind. A bar manager should know his crowd.
6 days to Christmas I know of plenty that would be dead. But others that will be stowed. If they have a restaurant you can estimate based on your bookings.

I don't want to mention the bar by name as I don't want to hurt their reputation. It's certainly not the only one around that tries to keep staffing at the 'running about like blue arsed flies' level and they make their markup on bait anyway hence the death of the 'bar' where a working man could just drop in for a pint and chat to his mates. By the way @Wilfy I'm still thinking about it (opening the best pub in Sunderland) but it will have to run at a loss..

I put the blame on karaoke,nothing worse when entering a pub to have to put up with all them wannabe pop stars.
You quite plainly have not seen me in action. I'm all about The Pogues this year.

I like to frequent my local pubs as much as possible surprisingly.. however we have incidents like today: walked to the bar just before 12, nobody behind said bar. A barman came through from the restaurant after a few minutes. No big problem. I then went for a second pint only to find the bar 6 deep in women all greeting each other with 'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' and encouraging each new arrival to 'come and get served with us'. Blokes buy in rounds, but each one of these once a year pub regulars was paying individually by card. 1 in 3 were ordering cappucinos etc. which adds time to the process, and those ordering food had no idea what their table number was or whether they wanted chips or curly fries, baguette or bap and so on until I gave up and left.
The upshot of my rant is that bar managers should stop being tight and put loads of bar staff on during busy times. Not fair to expect one or two bar staff to keep a seething crowd of 30 folk with no idea of bar etiquette happy, which leads to regulars staying away.
Bet they were buying Cocktails anarl. A big bugbear of mine.

Bet they were buying Cocktails anarl. A big bugbear of mine.
the lakeside has gone down a certain route - vip area, velvet rope with paid for tables trying to encourage a certain type of punter... arseholes who want to pay uptown prices without going uptown. the result is that the bar service is shi"te as it takes them 10mins to mix one drink with half a tree in it, or blowing f***ing smoke into a bottle (what the actual fuck is that meant to be about?)...

I've never been a smoker, but smoking was always a fundamental part of pubs.

I think they should change the smoking ban to give pub and other property owners the right to enforce a smoking ban on their premises (I.e. keep it so that you can be fined for smoking in non-smoking premises), but not REQUIRE them to have a smoking ban.

Then you would have smoking and non-smoking pubs and people would have the choice.

I think they should change the smoking ban to give pub and other property owners the right to enforce a smoking ban on their premises (I.e. keep it so that you can be fined for smoking in non-smoking premises), but not REQUIRE them to have a smoking ban.

Then you would have smoking and non-smoking pubs and people would have the choice.
Will never happen.

So ban the legal ban but don’t ban banning. Allow a non-ban type ban? That people can decide for themselves if it’s a ban-ban or just a ban?

So ban the legal ban but don’t ban banning. Allow a non-ban type ban? That people can decide for themselves if it’s a ban-ban or just a ban?

You could put it like that :lol::lol:

Basically just let the pubs decide, and give them some legal backing if they decide to ban.

But it'll never happen, not until the revolution against all this nannying and interference comes anyway.

But it'll never happen, not until the revolution against all this nannying and interference comes anyway.
Not really nannying mate.

I smoked when the ban came in, I was in the minority, yet everyone had to inhale my harmful second hand smoke.

Why should you, or your kids, need to inhale my tabs? It's bollocks really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back