The decline of British pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going to the local for a few us one of the simple pleasures in life.
£3.20 for a nice pint, sit and talk shite for a few hours, nowt better.

I'm one of the youngest that goes out in our village (40) and that's part of the problem.
Young people are shit.

Yes happy to pay it in that bar as it's an occasional situation

Bar over the road is a Star Wars type bar good pint for £2 guess they both have a place

Same for me, choice of a decent premium lager at a fiver amongst decent folks (albeit the pub is mainly real ale types) or a £2 Sammy Smiths across the road amongst the orks.

I like to frequent my local pubs as much as possible surprisingly.. however we have incidents like today: walked to the bar just before 12, nobody behind said bar. A barman came through from the restaurant after a few minutes. No big problem. I then went for a second pint only to find the bar 6 deep in women all greeting each other with 'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' and encouraging each new arrival to 'come and get served with us'. Blokes buy in rounds, but each one of these once a year pub regulars was paying individually by card. 1 in 3 were ordering cappucinos etc. which adds time to the process, and those ordering food had no idea what their table number was or whether they wanted chips or curly fries, baguette or bap and so on until I gave up and left.
The upshot of my rant is that bar managers should stop being tight and put loads of bar staff on during busy times. Not fair to expect one or two bar staff to keep a seething crowd of 30 folk with no idea of bar etiquette happy, which leads to regulars staying away.

Younger people around my age (23) tend to stay in until about 11 drinking cans/vodka from the shop before going to a club for a few hours.

I much prefer going to a pub but a lot of young people have only ever really turned out this way.

I'm no Rockafella but the times i go out i'm not change counting.If its a fiver its premium stuff .

There's a difference between mass produced "premium" lager and a proper craft (and I hate that term) ale/beer

Younger people around my age (23) tend to stay in until about 11 drinking cans/vodka from the shop before going to a club for a few hours.

I much prefer going to a pub but a lot of young people have only ever really turned out this way.

Seems a bit daft that mind. I mean it works from a financial perspective, but not going out until 11, probably already pissed is a bit mental.
Is this mid-week or weekend?
I think some of the nights I went to didn't start til 9 mind

Last edited:
There's a difference between mass produced "premium" lager and a proper craft (and I hate that term) ale/beer
Yeah they all taste different ,your point is ? Most craft stuff is now bulk made nowhere near a cosy small brewery,its all marketing .My point is generally the stonger or more select the drink the price goes up

Yeah they all taste different ,your point is ? Most craft stuff is now bulk made nowhere near a cosy small brewery,its all marketing .My point is generally the stonger or more select the drink the price goes up

Nah I think he means by definition the word 'craft' means made in small batches.

The craft brews you used to drink will have expanded and been bought out as popularity grew, meaning they're no longer 'craft'.

Soft arses. We used to have a load of cans/vodka from the shop before going out for 7:30 and drinking till kicking out time at 2am.

Reactions: KST
I like to frequent my local pubs as much as possible surprisingly.. however we have incidents like today: walked to the bar just before 12, nobody behind said bar. A barman came through from the restaurant after a few minutes. No big problem. I then went for a second pint only to find the bar 6 deep in women all greeting each other with 'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' and encouraging each new arrival to 'come and get served with us'. Blokes buy in rounds, but each one of these once a year pub regulars was paying individually by card. 1 in 3 were ordering cappucinos etc. which adds time to the process, and those ordering food had no idea what their table number was or whether they wanted chips or curly fries, baguette or bap and so on until I gave up and left.
The upshot of my rant is that bar managers should stop being tight and put loads of bar staff on during busy times. Not fair to expect one or two bar staff to keep a seething crowd of 30 folk with no idea of bar etiquette happy, which leads to regulars staying away.
Would he have expected it to be that busy at 12 on a wednesday afternoo ?

Seems a bit daft that mind. I mean it works from a financial perspective, but not going out until 11, probably already pissed is a bit mental.
Is this mid-week or weekend?
I think some of the nights I went to didn't start til 9 mind

Both really mate. I agree with you. I enjoy the crack with mates in a pub before that's rendered impossible in a noisy bar/nightclub.

I was trying to explain the difference between a pub and a bar to a yank lass the other day. I know it gets slagged off on here, but you can't knock that London for it's pub quota. Loads of really good proper old pubs as well as the myriad poser bars.
This.

My point is generally the stonger or more select the drink the price goes up

I agree, and I said that earlier too. Back in the day you wouldn't get many beers over 4% right?

Both really mate. I agree with you. I enjoy the crack with mates in a pub before that's rendered impossible in a noisy bar/nightclub.

I think I always prefer pub over club. I mean I enjoyed club for music etc, but speaking to people is nigh on impossible

I agree, and I said that earlier too. Back in the day you wouldn't get many beers over 4% right?

I think I always prefer pub over club. I mean I enjoyed club for music etc, but speaking to people is nigh on impossible
Not on draught and we've seen them reverse recently .My drinking started 1979 and quite soon after you could grab a nice can to save yoiyrself from dreadful draft lagers (red stripe,fosters export etc ).Off licence wise,the one on grangetown always had german stuff you'd never heard of,all 5% plus

Yeah there are a few that i have been told about. They tend to be in smaller villages.

Unfortunately i cant get any names as work firewall stops me looking

Smaller villages that are reasonably affluent is exactly where I can see them making sense. You need the affluent people to back it. Affluent areas that aren’t rural won’t have a major issue with people supporting the local pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back