The decline of British pubs

Sorry just re-read that if your talking net profit nothing like 40p on any pint much much less!

Really? That's a shame. Always saw my retirement as buying a pub and an antiques business in some leafy Cotswolds village.

Would have to make sure its an Inn to make money off the rooms/food

Good to see some honesty on here. Well done.
How much was a pint in sunderland mid late 80s then ? give or take

Really? That's a shame. Always saw my retirement as buying a pub and an antiques business in some leafy Cotswolds village.

Would have to make sure its an Inn to make money off the rooms/food
Got to be a front for village cocaine ? no one buys anything ,overpriced tac

tell him Tyne Bank cherry stout is on tonight...it wont last long

was about 76p for a pint of stones in about 1987 at the County in Shields
I'd probably push my year to early 80s,left school in 79 and i can still hear my mate moaning "its a £1 a pint owa there " ...Ku was doing 40p a pint tuesdays mid80s and that was an absolute give away

I'd probably push my year to early 80s,left school in 79 and i can still hear my mate moaning "its a £1 a pint owa there " ...Ku was doing 40p a pint tuesdays mid80s and that was an absolute give away
Actually 60p a pint then a double vodka for 40p to top it up

Last edited:

Actually 60p a pint then a double vodka for 40p to top it up

Just hit a quid a pint here and introduced the smoking ban - absolute scenes with the oldies

Fair enough, there was always time for a few pints with your mates and a game of pool in the local in those days.

That's how our nights always started. Out as sharp as you can for a few in the local and a game of pool. Taxi booked to go to town for 7:30/8:00. Get into a few quieter bars where you could have a bit craic, then a few more lively ones before going to a club. Kebab and a Taxi home at 2:30.

The young'uns these days (christ I sound like me dar!) don't go out until 10:30. Have pre-drinks in the house and then probably rely on the old Columbian marching powder rather than spending any money on drink once they get into town.

Just hit a quid a pint here and introduced the smoking ban - absolute scenes with the oldies

Where I live
Miners
The Jug
The Foundry
Eston Tate
Eston California
Labour club
The Wellington
The beacon
The Whale Hill social

All in about a mile of each other & going strong dearest is the Whale hill £3 a pint

Yet we have about a dozen off licences in the same area

Where I live
Miners
The Jug
The Foundry
Eston Tate
Eston California
Labour club
The Wellington
The beacon
The Whale Hill social

All in about a mile of each other & going strong dearest is the Whale hill £3 a pint

Yet we have about a dozen off licences in the same area

Everything is closed 24-26th here, bars, shops the lot so my shopping order from tesco was 90% lager mind

How much was a pint in sunderland mid late 80s then ? give or take

Got to be a front for village cocaine ? no one buys anything ,overpriced tac
Dunno. Twas about 50-60p in Sunderland when I moved to London in 1983 iirc. I remember being shocked when we could no longer find a pint for under a quid in West London.

Edit naaah it’ll be less than that in Sunderland in 83 I’m sure. Problem is I nivver just bought one. We were in big rounds and you’d buy your round then not gan to the bar again for hours if at all.

Last edited:
That's how our nights always started. Out as sharp as you can for a few in the local and a game of pool. Taxi booked to go to town for 7:30/8:00. Get into a few quieter bars where you could have a bit craic, then a few more lively ones before going to a club. Kebab and a Taxi home at 2:30.

The young'uns these days (christ I sound like me dar!) don't go out until 10:30. Have pre-drinks in the house and then probably rely on the old Columbian marching powder rather than spending any money on drink once they get into town.

Good times mate!
No fake tan.
No selfies.
No spending all night looking at your phone.
Getting a phone number off a lass and ringing up the next day hoping it was the right one.
Leaving the pub to go to a club only to find that the q was too long, you didn't have a q jumper and have to go to a shit club instead.

Dunno. Twas about 50-60p in Sunderland when I moved to London in 1983 iirc. I remember being shocked when we could no longer find a pint for under a quid in West London.

Edit naaah it’ll be less than that in Sunderland in 83 I’m sure. Problem is I nivver just bought one. We were in big rounds and you’d buy your round then not gan to the bar again for hours if at all.
Was 50p in 79/80. Reckon would be 60p by 83.

Lasses started going out en masses in the mid 90s!? Wtf?

Smoking ban finished pubs as an every night thing for me and I nivver smoked ever. You’d be in conversation at the bar and the smokers would go outside for a fag. Ten mins later they’d come back and the conversation had moved on to summit else. Neet out consisted of a bunch of half conversations.

Ha ! What I meant was lasses going out en masse encouraged the development of a different type of bar/pub. As for prices , I started going to pubs and clubs in 1981, it was around 35p a pint in a club on average , add 5p on for a pub, that was in East Durham like

Back