The current reality of how long it could be before we are back in the Premier league

As the older and experienced posters on here will confirm, first and foremost, we need the right manager who must also be a top motivator. Secondly a modern and effective coaching team and finally due diligence on all transfers to get players with the ability and the mentality for the fight.

Jordan Willis, Jon McLaughlin, Chris Maguire - free

Will Grigg - Somewhere around £3m

Money helps but it's more about being smart and finding value.
Will Grigg seems like a massive mistake when actual money was spent. A Donald error which has proved costly but compared to trying to stay in the championship by finding Jordan Pickford's replacement was nothing short of criminal.

Just been reading about Leeds on Wikipedia. We could experience the same. Especially with the owner merry go round situation.

I'm 50 this year and have been fortunate enough to see us play top flight/premier league football for many years

In the past few times we've been relegated from the Premier league we've managed to go back up pretty much straight away. But looking at big clubs like Leeds, Notts forest, Sheff Wed etc they've been down in the championship for years on top of clubs like Stoke, , Huddersfield who were playing in the Premier league not so long ago but are really struggling to even stay up

It seems even harder these days to make a real fist of it in the championship. Even if we are taken over in the summer by someone or a group of people with serious money the reality of us being back in the Premier league could be a long way away
Sheff Utd ,Leicester , wolves and Southampton have all rose again . And got back quite quick , well sheff Utd wasn’t that quick I suppose

I think too many people (mostly the people who run the club) care about playing in the PL and not having a proper football team...what good is it to play in the Premier League just to get bent over week after week? Even in League 1 we struggle to play consistent football...in my opinion, we are a long way of having a decent PL squad that can compete in the top 10.

Seriously, you don’t think a side sitting 5th in League One are close to pushing top 10 in the Premier League? You bloody maverick.

I agree with your first point. It’s an obsession for many, but the reality is far removed from the dream. The higher up the pyramid you go, the more out of touch with the fans the players and club become. You end up paying a fortune to watch millionaires go through the motions, before the inevitable ‘fall from grace’ ensues.

Seriously, you don’t think a side sitting 5th in League One are close to pushing top 10 in the Premier League? You bloody maverick.

I agree with your first point. It’s an obsession for many, but the reality is far removed from the dream. The higher up the pyramid you go, the more out of touch with the fans the players and club become. You end up paying a fortune to watch millionaires go through the motions, before the inevitable ‘fall from grace’ ensues.

Good point. I’d say safc supporters on the whole at this very moment in time are happier than West Ham fans for example. Subject to change obviously with a bad/good result.
Fortunately we seem to have bottomed out at last at the end of 2019.

I really don’t miss it though. I was sick to the back teeth of watching arseholes like Kone go through the motions whilst earning £60k p/w.

It’s a broken league. 2/3 of the clubs are there to be cannon fodder for the “big 6”.
Wolves, Sheff Utd and Leicester aren't.

I'm 50 this year and have been fortunate enough to see us play top flight/premier league football for many years

In the past few times we've been relegated from the Premier league we've managed to go back up pretty much straight away. But looking at big clubs like Leeds, Notts forest, Sheff Wed etc they've been down in the championship for years on top of clubs like Stoke, , Huddersfield who were playing in the Premier league not so long ago but are really struggling to even stay up

It seems even harder these days to make a real fist of it in the championship. Even if we are taken over in the summer by someone or a group of people with serious money the reality of us being back in the Premier league could be a long way away

True enough but a lot of teams in that division have been living above their means and things could be about to come crashing down.

If you want to set your club up through the Transfer Market then that is exactly what you’ll get...you’ll get mercenaries and players with no ties to the club other than a wage or a chance to use the club as a stepping stone. If you set the club up through the Academy and bring players through to the first team, that seems to be a more solid and sustainable foundation for the club, IMO.

We lack vision, innovation and process to be a successful club...we are a paper over the cracks type of club. There’s nothing we’re doing now that hasn’t failed with previous management...we have management. supporters and posters on this board who don’t care about anything but getting promoted. Fuck the Academy, fuck the football on display, just get promoted and then we’ll figure it all out. That can’t be the thinking anymore...someone get in there and fix the f***ing thing, ffs!!!

one step at a time eh? Championship is a cracking league and I'd take promotion this year and a stint there while we get our shit together under a new owner.

As the older and experienced posters on here will confirm, first and foremost, we need the right manager who must also be a top motivator. Secondly a modern and effective coaching team and finally due diligence on all transfers to get players with the ability and the mentality for the fight.
Fuck me the awld boy's got it cracked here lads.

Any other insightful pearls of wisdom you'd like to share with the younger fraternity?

Back