[The Ashes] first Test - Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just catching up with the highlights. Real shame not to get anywhere near 400 from 246-4.
Never rated Woakes and he's doing nothing to change my mind here. Looked like Malan was apologising to short leg when he hit him. Why?? Wrong mentality.

I'm still haunted by Ashes tours of the past, especially at the Gabba, when we've had them 4,5,6 or more down for not many only to let them get away from us. Would love to have got another 60-70 on the board. As it is I reckon 60-70 will be their lead and we'll struggle to save the game from there. Hope I'm wrong and we can blow them away in the morning but Smith doesn't look like he's going anywhere fast.

I'm still haunted by Ashes tours of the past, especially at the Gabba, when we've had them 4,5,6 or more down for not many only to let them get away from us. Would love to have got another 60-70 on the board. As it is I reckon 60-70 will be their lead and we'll struggle to save the game from there. Hope I'm wrong and we can blow them away in the morning but Smith doesn't look like he's going anywhere fast.
Two key points were always going to be: how will we play Lyon and how will we get Smith out. Both points have come into focus.

Think I’ll get up for the second session at 2:40. Hopefully Smith is gone and we aren’t too far off our second innings at that point.

Probably been discussed, but that obvious tactic of bowling basically bodyline short, was really disappointingly successful

I could just imagine the sky lads going off it, how we gifted them a few cheap wickets

Game is very level though and the first two hours on day three may decide the match

No Test batsman should be getting out to the short ball, I'm sorry. Just leave the f***ing thing or if you've really got some balls, even do a Closey.
Exactly, I've yet to see a short ball hit the stumps. That was pretty poor to allow the Aussies back in.

They were clueless on breaking Malan and modern but we gifted them back into the match imo

Looking back at the final total it was 9 batsmen nearly all bar woakes playing to their test average with our two top players failing. If root and cook had been average over 400 was on.

First two hours later will decide this for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back