Testimonial 'derby' double header 1975..........unbelievable !

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1971 we played them in a friendly at the council tip on FA Cup 4th rd day as we were both knocked out in the 3rd. 1-1 and a crowd of over 16000. More than most 4th round ties that day.
If I remember correctly.... Sunderland played in an all red strip and the News of the World football reporter called us “the thin red line”.

Anyone know why the lad left where it says deleted member? He's put some cracking posts on this thread always seems a shame to lose good posters on here

Anyone know why the lad left where it says deleted member? He's put some cracking posts on this thread always seems a shame to lose good posters on here

He fell on his sword after posting some stuff that turned out to be bollocks - he felt bad about it and left.

Wasnt Frank Clarke's testimonial NUFC v SAFC at St James maybe 1977?
PS "the Match was played at St James Park on 28th April 1976 between Newcastle United and Sunderland which the Magpies won 6-3."

Frank Clark was our manager / assistant manager for a while a bit later

Last edited:
PS "the Match was played at St James Park on 28th April 1976 between Newcastle United and Sunderland which the Magpies won 6-3."

Asst Manager to Ken Knighton

Must have been the last testimonial to be allowed between the 2 sides ?
Real shame as Pitt n Park had to make do with AZ 67. Gate was about 8000 iirc.

Monty v mags got over 29000 (yeah I know, Monty is in a different legend class), Martin Harvey got over 13000 (bad timing as we'd just lost promotion to Norwich 75).

Didn't wee Bobbler have game v Leeds? Think there was over 40,000?

I was at the home testimonial game at Roker in 1980, which we won 2-1, but there was hell on before, and after the game, with mass battles up near the Fort before the game and outside RP after the game. (I remember seeing plenty of the Mags, involved in the fighting up by the Fort, were wearing kilts for some reason)
I was stood in the Roker when a bog seat was hoyed frisbee style, into our fans, by a Mag.
It narrowly missed me, but it hit some unfortunate lad in the face, and he was a hell of a mess, with blood all over the place.
Kenton Bar Boys with the kilts iirc

I remember the Denton Burn lot wearing kilts.
All these "agrro boys" as they were called then had their own place in the Leaves End....As I've mentioned Denton Burn ..Newbiggen Hall.. Walker..Big Lamp....but none of them tried to "move" the North Shields lot.
Strange days.
All these "agrro boys" as they were called then had their own place in the Leazes End....As I've mentioned Denton Burn ..Newbiggen Hall.. Walker..Big Lamp....but none of them tried to "move" the North Shields lot.
Strange days.

Last edited:
How u know that like?
Was Shaun iirc
All these "agrro boys" as they were called then had their own place in the Leaves End....As I've mentioned Denton Burn ..Newbiggen Hall.. Walker..Big Lamp....but none of them tried to "move" the North Shields lot.
Strange days.

Were NS top lads of the LE occupying the centre?
When me n Jeff went in there for the AS game Aug 75 for our own safety (long story) - won 2 nil, I remember at half time there was a big scrap obvly between 2 rival groups on the concourse below the stand. Mental.
Must have been the last testimonial to be allowed between the 2 sides ?
Real shame as Pitt n Park had to make do with AZ 67. Gate was about 8000 iirc.

Monty v mags got over 29000 (yeah I know, Monty is in a different legend class), Martin Harvey got over 13000 (bad timing as we'd just lost promotion to Norwich 75).

Didn't wee Bobbler have game v Leeds? Think there was over 40,000?

Checked statcat, crowd for Bobbler was 24000.
Logon or register to see this image

Even had a double header ''friendly' in 1981 despite the problems of the 70s

Last edited:
How u know that like?

Were NS top lads of the LE occupying the centre?
When me n Jeff went in there for the AS game Aug 75 for our own safety (long story) - won 2 nil, I remember at half time there was a big scrap obvly between 2 rival groups on the concourse below the stand. Mental.

Checked statcat, crowd for Bobbler was 24000.

Even had a double header ''friendly' in 1981 despite the problems of the 70s
Your memory is spot on sir...yes the North Shields lads used to have the centre...underneath Dunc...which somebody had spray painted on the roof.
Forgot to mention the Benton lads ..they were pretty mental......was madness at times when you think that they used to battle each other.....The North Shields lads seemed a bit older at the time .

I was at the home testimonial game at Roker in 1980, which we won 2-1, but there was hell on before, and after the game, with mass battles up near the Fort before the game and outside RP after the game. (I remember seeing plenty of the Mags, involved in the fighting up by the Fort, were wearing kilts for some reason)
I was stood in the Roker when a bog seat was hoyed frisbee style, into our fans, by a Mag.
It narrowly missed me, but it hit some unfortunate lad in the face, and he was a hell of a mess, with blood all over the place.

Because I was there m8 and what I was told by older people who were there, I remember them all on the bit grass opposite the blue Bell

fair enough
Your memory is spot on sir...yes the North Shields lads used to have the centre...underneath Dunc...which somebody had spray painted on the roof.
Forgot to mention the Benton lads ..they were pretty mental......was madness at times when you think that they used to battle each other.....The North Shields lads seemed a bit older at the time .

This is the game I was at when your eejits thought it would be good to have a barney downstairs at half time:rolleyes::lol:
Me and Jeff had to be very careful not to smile as the goals went in
Aye, I seen plenty of large scale battles that day, before & after the match at Roker.

This one was quite painless, mind only 9000 there - probs about 500 safc - centre section of LE only and the walk up from station was event free on a nice balmy evening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back