Testimonial 'derby' double header 1975..........unbelievable !

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always someone who remembers, the past always catches up! I ran on the pitch at Ollie Burtons testimonial. Never spoke about since then, bit embarrassed tbh! Me and a lad from Gateshead got jumped on after the game. He managed to leg it and I got kicked to pieces. (My own fault I guess for my earlier antics). Ended up in the RVI with a suspected fractured skull, concussion and a fractured eye socket. Still got a lump on my eye brow and 50% vision from the injury! Love Newcastle me like!
It’s funny looking back at what we did back in the day!
I guess running on the pitch might have made you stand out - quite a few people suffered various degrees of kickings in those days, thankfully most did not suffer the degree of injuries you sustained! To be honest while I’m enjoying this thread your comments about injuries brings a sense of realism!

Always someone who remembers, the past always catches up! I ran on the pitch at Ollie Burtons testimonial. Never spoke about since then, bit embarrassed tbh! Me and a lad from Gateshead got jumped on after the game. He managed to leg it and I got kicked to pieces. (My own fault I guess for my earlier antics). Ended up in the RVI with a suspected fractured skull, concussion and a fractured eye socket. Still got a lump on my eye brow and 50% vision from the injury! Love Newcastle me like!
:eek::eek:

A recent thread I started about RELEGATION HANGOVER 1970 - 1973, brought a cracking comment by someone about Martin Harvey, an ex SAFC stalwart, and an excellent player to boot.
I knew he'd had a testimonial game v Mags, so I did some investigating in the statcat.
I wondered why the gate was so disappointing - less than 14000 for a Sunderland legend, and although the threat of violence was prevalent, the game was played 2 DAYS AFTER we had lost 2 nil at A. Villa, and with it our promotion chances died. Poor Martin, the timing turned out to be awful, with so many still gutted at losing out. Imagine the gate if we had beaten Villa to go up !!
I did attend the game and recall standing in a queue at the FE to get in around 7pm. Around 300 mags came down Osborne St and along leeds Road chanting ''Villa Villa''. We in the queue responded with ''Chester Chester'' whom they'd lost to in the LEAGUE cup iirc !
It looked like they were going to come steaming in, but the 4/5 cops on duty must have frightened them.
We won 3-2
Anyway, on the statcat investigation, I discovered that only 2 days later {!!!!}, there was a return game at SJP, for their stalwart right back David Craig whom if I remember correctly, was, like Martin, a NI international ?
There were just over 21000 at SJP and they won 5-3.
I managed to get the Echo report of the MH game, but the report for the return would have been on May 1st - a BH, so the Echo wasnt printed that day.

anyone got any memories to share ???
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image
I was at Martin Harvey game

Will never forget standing in the middle of the Gallogate End trying to be totally discreet and seeing this Sunderland idiot running across the pitch and then realising WTF is my brother doing, no wonder he ended up in hospital. Going to SJP just brings out the worst in some people :lol::lol:

Didnt a lad run onto the pitch with an safc flag ?
His name was Lambert, he came from Consett and he waved his red and white scarf around when he ran on the hallowed turf of St James’.

Can’t honestly remember which match it was but it was a mid week, evening kick off and would be around 75/76 so was pre segregation days. I remember looking for him at school the next day as he nearly got me filled in after the match. We’d be either 15 or 16 year olds and it could have been a testimonial, as was common back then

I had gone down with him on the service bus with another Mackem from Consett - Philly B and we , with their scarves well hidden, called into the Durham Ox when we got off the bus at Marlborough where some of the Blaydon Mags kindly went to the bar for us and then told us to sit next to them and they’d get our beers for us when ready. Good lads and sound crack, and none of them suspected Bertie or Phil to be red and white - just as well coz they were all big f***ing docker types.

Just before kick off, from my spot in the old Leazes End ( when it had a roof ), I saw a young lad/mad bastard run from the Gallowgate and start waving his red and white scarf around. I didn’t rate his chances of surviving too long as being surrounded on all four sides by, by now, some very pissed off rabid Mags I couldn’t work out where he could run to so I settled down to watch his dismemberment. It was then that I realised it was Lambert and I couldn’t work out why the fuck he would do such a thing - he wasn’t a fighter and was usually very placid. The police got to him before anyone else could.

After the match, I called into the Durham Ox for a quick pint before the bus home and got a hard time from the Blaydon Mags who had recognised Bertie from earlier and now suspected me of being a closet Mackem too. They were f***ing raging but because I had a black and white scarf on plus a couple of badges, plus being able to name all our first team and reserves they let me off but not before giving me a right good bollocking for bringing Mackems into their pub and for not telling them were red and white before the match. The landlord then told me to fuck off and never come back. I think it was only because I was just a kid that I managed to get out of there in one piece.

Saw the daft bastard the next day at school and he explained that once he got into the ground he got split up from Phil and was quickly sussed out and had no other option but to run on the pitch to get himself arrested or ejected - thought he would take the opportunity to wave his scarf around while he was at it. All he got was a couple of size 10 police boots up his arse for the trouble and thrown head first out of the ground - better than the alternative though.

I remember going to Dicky Ord's testimonial.I cannot recall the attendance but it wasn't many.Lovely left peg had Dicky

my last game at roker park as I buggered off to Oz a week or so later. as you say very poor crowd (aprox 8000). we were interested in bogdan stelea(?) who was in goal for the opposition at the time. he wasn't that crash hot from what i remember.

Twas me who ran on the pitch at OBT with a scarf! Lambert must have done it at another match🤪
Hopefully Lambert might be on this site and he’ll be able to clear up which match it was - I haven’t seen him for decades but I occasionally see Phil and he may be able to clarify.

I went to both friendly derbies around 1980, we won the home game 2-1 & drew the away game 1-1. Both games were around 10,000.iirc there was a bigger away following for the mags than we took to sjp. We had the middle section of the leazes end. I'm sure Alan Brown scored our equaliser at the gallowgate end

Last edited:
Will never forget standing in the middle of the Gallogate End trying to be totally discreet and seeing this Sunderland idiot running across the pitch and then realising WTF is my brother doing, no wonder he ended up in hospital. Going to SJP just brings out the worst in some people :lol::lol:

didn’t he get a good kicking in the Geordie Pride pub one match ?

I think it might have been Monty's testimonial or the Texico cup, I remember it was a lovely summer night game. There was loads of bother at Seaburn station down Fulwell road and outside the Cambridge. Scarf grabbing was the trend and loads of that went on with both sets of fans losing their hats n scarfs. (The Rubettes type caps were either red n white or black n white) After going to games in the 70's & 80's it's easy to hate them up the road. Looking back as a younger lad it was exciting and you were expected that you got into bother if you attended games.

I went to both friendly derbies around 1980, we won the home game 2-1 & drew the away game 1-1. Both games were around 10,000.iirc there was a bigger away following for the mags than we took to sjp. We had the middle section of the leazes end. I'm sure Alan Brown scored our equaliser at the gallowgate end
I was at the home testimonial game at Roker in 1980, which we won 2-1, but there was hell on before, and after the game, with mass battles up near the Fort before the game and outside RP after the game. (I remember seeing plenty of the Mags, involved in the fighting up by the Fort, were wearing kilts for some reason)
I was stood in the Roker when a bog seat was hoyed frisbee style, into our fans, by a Mag.
It narrowly missed me, but it hit some unfortunate lad in the face, and he was a hell of a mess, with blood all over the place.

I was at the home testimonial game at Roker in 1980, which we won 2-1, but there was hell on before, and after the game, with mass battles up near the Fort before the game and outside RP after the game. (I remember seeing plenty of the Mags, involved in the fighting up by the Fort, were wearing kilts for some reason)
I was stood in the Roker when a bog seat was hoyed frisbee style, into our fans, by a Mag.
It narrowly missed me, but it hit some unfortunate lad in the face, and he was a hell of a mess, with blood all over the place.
81 mate, twas a, friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back