Testimonial 'derby' double header 1975..........unbelievable !

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6830

A recent thread I started about RELEGATION HANGOVER 1970 - 1973, brought a cracking comment by someone about Martin Harvey, an ex SAFC stalwart, and an excellent player to boot.
I knew he'd had a testimonial game v Mags, so I did some investigating in the statcat.
I wondered why the gate was so disappointing - less than 14000 for a Sunderland legend, and although the threat of violence was prevalent, the game was played 2 DAYS AFTER we had lost 2 nil at A. Villa, and with it our promotion chances died. Poor Martin, the timing turned out to be awful, with so many still gutted at losing out. Imagine the gate if we had beaten Villa to go up !!
I did attend the game and recall standing in a queue at the FE to get in around 7pm. Around 300 mags came down Osborne St and along leeds Road chanting ''Villa Villa''. We in the queue responded with ''Chester Chester'' whom they'd lost to in the LEAGUE cup iirc !
It looked like they were going to come steaming in, but the 4/5 cops on duty must have frightened them.
We won 3-2
Anyway, on the statcat investigation, I discovered that only 2 days later {!!!!}, there was a return game at SJP, for their stalwart right back David Craig whom if I remember correctly, was, like Martin, a NI international ?
There were just over 21000 at SJP and they won 5-3.
I managed to get the Echo report of the MH game, but the report for the return would have been on May 1st - a BH, so the Echo wasnt printed that day.

anyone got any memories to share ???
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:

IIRC we used to play the mags every season in some ones testimonial or the Texaco cup pre season, the only one I remember Ollie Burton after winning the Cup lost 2-1 hell on for most of the time but when the gates opened the back of the Gallowgate were hundreds looking for us and you had to be real care full getting out alive.

I was at the game at SJP but I don’t recall any trouble!
I also remember about 1981 playing a double header of pre season friendlies
Wed night at Newcastle was a 1-1 draw ( Pickering scored for your lot), then Saturday at Roker Park where Sunderland prevailed 2-1!
The Saturday game was however anything but trouble free as the police lost control outside!

What year was Harvey's? No recollection of that.

Went to monty's, 76? Lost 3-2, loads of trouble

april 27 1975 with Craigs 2 days later

What year was Harvey's? No recollection of that.

Went to monty's, 76? Lost 3-2, loads of trouble

burtons was 73 - over 35000 came to see the fa cup winners

montys was 74 - april iirc

Wed night at Newcastle was a 1-1 draw ( Pickering scored for your lot), then Saturday at Roker Park where Sunderland prevailed 2-1!
The Saturday game was however anything but trouble free as the police lost control outside!

65 arrests when the attendance was less than 11000:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Milburn's testimonial in 67. George Mulhall played for opposition along with the Charltons and Ferenc Puskas. Georges Kinnell and Herd and Neil Martin played for the mags. Big crowd, miserable wet night. The programme was just in a pocket full of maché. Still got it. Puskas was in his 40s by then.

The 81 game was indeed mental, skunks were out early ambushing Sunderland fans, people were pouring back over the bridge away from the trouble, we went forward as the police on horseback were forcing their fans towards the ground.

I remember going to Dicky Ord's testimonial.I cannot recall the attendance but it wasn't many.Lovely left peg had Dicky
He was one of my favourite players when I was younger, but by "lovely left peg" the only thing you could possibly mean is "predominantly left footed." He was not what you would call a cultured defender.

IIRC we used to play the mags every season in some ones testimonial or the Texaco cup pre season, the only one I remember Ollie Burton after winning the Cup lost 2-1 hell on for most of the time but when the gates opened the back of the Gallowgate were hundreds looking for us and you had to be real care full getting out alive.

I went to that match with my Dad - first away game I suppose. Some old gadgee said to me at the end that I'd be wanting to change my scarf to a black and white one - I said no thanks. I think my Dad was proud of me.

In 1971 we played them in a friendly at the council tip on FA Cup 4th rd day as we were both knocked out in the 3rd. 1-1 and a crowd of over 16000. More than most 4th round ties that day.

In 1971 we played them in a friendly at the council tip on FA Cup 4th rd day as we were both knocked out in the 3rd. 1-1 and a crowd of over 16000. More than most 4th round ties that day.

A noisy following from Sunderland there according to argus and no doubt a bit lively outside the ground to and from station.

Brilliant newspaper clippings - I remember it well. As a 16 year old kid it was exciting.

Back