Testimonial 'derby' double header 1975..........unbelievable !

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

Brilliant newspaper clippings - I remember it well. As a 16 year old kid it was exciting.
I suppose in the days where travel was less convenient it made sense to have a friendly against a team from 8 miles away

Under normal/sensible circumstances definitely, but given that on BH Aug 68 trouble started brewing big time between safc and nufc and then went to new 'heights' on GF 1970, it now seems madness that so many testimonials and friedlies went ahead.
Even for testimonials and friendlies they'd bring anything from 500 {MH testimonial to 3000 [Texaco Cup 74] and there was always bother. That so called friendly at RP in 81 - a crowd of under 11,000 inc 500-1000 skunks saw 65 arrests ! The police bill must have been huge and probably exceeded takings on the gate !
Logon or register to see this image

I was at Milburn's testimonial in 67. George Mulhall played for opposition along with the Charltons and Ferenc Puskas. Georges Kinnell and Herd and Neil Martin played for the mags. Big crowd, miserable wet night. The programme was just in a pocket full of maché. Still got it. Puskas was in his 40s by then.

You didnt brave the ollie burton one did you, that was when safc fans were advised by police not to leave the confines of the station and go back to sunderland as they couldnt guarantee their safety ?
Apparently the skunks were a bit jealous of us WINNING a TOP competition which they hadnt done since 1955 and were not going to allow our fans to laud it over them - as if !:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at Monty's with me Dad in the clock stand seats. Remember them bunched up in the middle of the Roker End with a NUFC Union Jack. On the way out saw a lad from our school who'd been scared witless and given a twatting by the fuckers. Always thought we got beat 1-2, not 2-3.

Was at Monty's with me Dad in the clock stand seats. Remember them bunched up in the middle of the Roker End with a NUFC Union Jack. On the way out saw a lad from our school who'd been scared witless and given a twatting by the fuckers. Always thought we got beat 1-2, not 2-3.

There was about a thousand of them. Was in the RE with my then girlfriend and a mate. At half time my mate went to get a cuppa and a tosser took his scarf but fortunately didnt knack him:evil:. We were 13 at time.

You didnt brave the ollie burton one did you, that was when safc fans were advised by police not to leave the confines of the station and go back to sunderland as they couldnt guarantee their safety ?
Apparently the skunks were a bit jealous of us WINNING a TOP competition which they hadnt done since 1955 and were not going to allow our fans to laud it over them - as if !:lol:
I did, but living in Gateshead I got the bus to the town and walked via Blackfriars with no colours. Not that daft, I'd just had my car wipers and aerial done the time before.

I did, but living in Gateshead I got the bus to the town and walked via Blackfriars with no colours. Not that daft, I'd just had my car wipers and aerial done the time before.
Didnt a lad run onto the pitch with an safc flag ?

There was about a thousand of them. Was in the RE with my then girlfriend and a mate. At half time my mate went to get a cuppa and a tosser took his scarf but fortunately didnt knack him:evil:. We were 13 at time.
I love your terminology ‘ knack him’ , it was how we used to talk at school
Great memories of these games but different to today!
In those days it was easy to just jump on a train and go, yeah risky as well but exciting!
Nowadays it’s all insults and handbags from behind the lines!
I’m not condoning footie violence but there was a definite edge in 70s and 80s!

In those days it was easy to just jump on a train and go, yeah risky as well but exciting!
Definite edge :lol: Thats one way of putting it !
Even tho there was always violence threat, I went to most at sjp if not all between 74 and the michael owen game which finished me off.
Thankfully missed Ollie burton and david craig testimonials. Schoolfriends went to Craigs and got chased all over.
Went to 75 texaco cup game and one of lads was with got assaulted by 3 big uns. Least we won 2 nil.
Hairy days.

Under normal/sensible circumstances definitely, but given that on BH Aug 68 trouble started brewing big time between safc and nufc and then went to new 'heights' on GF 1970, it now seems madness that so many testimonials and friedlies went ahead.
Even for testimonials and friendlies they'd bring anything from 500 {MH testimonial to 3000 [Texaco Cup 74] and there was always bother. That so called friendly at RP in 81 - a crowd of under 11,000 inc 500-1000 skunks saw 65 arrests ! The police bill must have been huge and probably exceeded takings on the gate !

A much younger Buster was told by the Police to get back on the train that day , to be perfectly honest I was f***ing shitting myself , hundreds of the fuckers just waiting the other side of the road , as I’ve mentioned on here a few times on here , they always seemed a lot older than us back in the day.

Was in the RE with my then girlfriend

Hang your f***ing head in shame .

Last edited:
A much younger Buster was told by the Police to get back on the train that day , to be perfectly honest I was f***ing shitting myself , hundreds of the fuckers just waiting the other side of the road , as I’ve mentioned on here a few times on here , they always seemed a lot older than us back in the day.

Hang your f***ing head in shame .

Why, she was canny:lol:?
I was 13 and a bit naive tbh - going in RE when mags are up sort of proved that

@hullmackem clear your inbox !

First time I ever saw lads wearing those long white butchers coats was skunks outside RP in 74 montys testimonial. Seemed huge to a 7 stone dripping wet 12 yo. Huge sideburns obvly the order of the day around then too.

Didnt a lad run onto the pitch with an safc flag ?
@Monkey Hanger

Last edited by a moderator:
Why, she was canny:lol:?
I was 13 and a bit naive tbh - going in RE when mags are up sort of proved that

@hullmackem clear your inbox !

First time I ever saw lads wearing those long white butchers coats was skunks outside RP in 74 montys testimonial. Seemed huge to a 7 stone dripping wet 12 yo. Huge sideburns obvly the order of the day around then too.

@Monkey Hanger
Ok

Definite edge :lol: Thats one way of putting it !
Even tho there was always violence threat, I went to most at sjp if not all between 74 and the michael owen game which finished me off.
Thankfully missed Ollie burton and david craig testimonials. Schoolfriends went to Craigs and got chased all over.
Went to 75 texaco cup game and one of lads was with got assaulted by 3 big uns. Least we won 2 nil.
Hairy days.
Went to most of those games, still have the Ollie Burton programme, a bit worse for wear as in the seventies I used to plaster my bedroom wall with them with sellotape

Didn't go the testimonials but I went to the 2 friendlies in the early 80s home and away, we won 2-1 at home and drew 1-1 at their place. we only had the middle section of the leazes end that night

Always someone who remembers, the past always catches up! I ran on the pitch at Ollie Burtons testimonial. Never spoke about since then, bit embarrassed tbh! Me and a lad from Gateshead got jumped on after the game. He managed to leg it and I got kicked to pieces. (My own fault I guess for my earlier antics). Ended up in the RVI with a suspected fractured skull, concussion and a fractured eye socket. Still got a lump on my eye brow and 50% vision from the injury! Love Newcastle me like!

Back