Test Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that say Ballance has proved he is not a test player, let's not forget he still averages 40 near enough

He has had some major technical issues. It will be fascinating to see if he has worked them out

Problem is he's gonna bat at 3. It's unfair on the lad. He's a middle order player

Me too. Your best batsman should bat 3 if he's in any way suited to the role. And Root is.

No he shouldn't. Total myth. Best player should bat 4

Problem is he's gonna bat at 3. It's unfair on the lad. He's a middle order player

No he shouldn't. Total myth. Best player should bat 4

There's no right and wrong answer and sometimes there's just on delivery difference between batting at either. History is littered with the best batman in a team batting at 3 or 4 and sometimes elsewhere in the batting order.

The question about Ballance is not what number he should bat but is he good enough against top quality test match bowling. The same could be said for one or two others as well.

What I think is more nonsence is that one position in the order makes that much difference.

Root scores runs because he is good not where he is in the order.

Don't want him in the first over potentially

Why you think most players come in at 4

So we could play Bairstow 3 too on your theory?

Don't want him in the first over potentially

Why you think most players come in at 4

So we could play Bairstow 3 too on your theory?

The best players score runs because there in form,confident and have quality.

Whether they bat 3 or 4 makes very little difference what is important is the above.

Steven Smith and Kohli when they went through their purple patches what have still did what they done whether they had batted 3 or 4

Last edited:
The best players score runs because there in form,confident and have quality.

Whether they bat 3 or 4 makes very little difference what is important is the above.

Steven Smith and Kohli when they went through their purple patches what have still did what they done whether they had batted 3 or 4

Kohli bats 4

There are two sides to the argument. Some may argue that batting at 3 could expose your best player to the new ball too quickly, too often. Its equally valid to say if that player is really your best batsman he is better equipped to do that than a less talented player. Its just down to a point of view and there is no right or wrong answer.

A top class batsman like Root will score runs where ever he bats.
Hmmm.

Hard to disagree but I think he's had to work harder batting up the order. I maybe wrong but that's how it seems o me when I watched him. I just think no 4 is the ideal slot for him, he won't have to (usually) deal with the new ball but it's high enough up the order to require a proper batsman and he'd have enough partners to score big, normally.

Also I think it's a good place for a captain who would have enough to deal with.

So I'd give him a break.

But, if we're talking Balance, which I suppose we are I don't see him as a number 3 either ........ all of which brings me back to the 1, 2 and 3 I mentioned earlier as Cook, Jennings and Stoneman.

I'd not advocate playing 3 openers and surely our number 3 would be in at least an hour into most games if we've any confidence in Keaton which I have. Root at 3 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back