Test Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCat

Striker
Apparently Broad, Woakes and Stokes all doubtful for 1st test? I'd expect Stokes to play, even if it was just as a batsmen. Does Hameed come straight back in? Jennings? Quite a few slots up for grabs in Root's top 7 you'd think

Apparently Broad, Woakes and Stokes all doubtful for 1st test? I'd expect Stokes to play, even if it was just as a batsmen. Does Hameed come straight back in? Jennings? Quite a few slots up for grabs in Root's top 7 you'd think

While it would be against normal policy to bring in a young player such as Hameed, see him do well and then drop him, his form has been so abysmal I don't think he will be selected. Might see Cook, Stoneman and Jennings as a top 3.

Lots of talk around Headingley about Ballance being given yet another chance. Personally I'd give it another year. Ridiculous to be (rightly) dropping him for not performing at Test level then picking him again as soon as he goes back to county cricket and lo and behold starts scoring runs again. Plus we really would be fucked without him, such is the dreadful form of our other batsmen .

alot depends on where root fancies batting

Where've you heard this about Stokes? He's been told to play for Durham next week against Worcestershire in the day-night Championship game and has been bowling on the pitch during intervals (of the Glamorgan game). Nothing to suggest there's owt the matter with him or that there'll be any limitation to his capabilities in that game.

Lots of talk around Headingley about Ballance being given yet another chance. Personally I'd give it another year. Ridiculous to be (rightly) dropping him for not performing at Test level then picking him again as soon as he goes back to county cricket and lo and behold starts scoring runs again. Plus we really would be fucked without him, such is the dreadful form of our other batsmen .

I really wasn't a fan the last time he was picked, I thought he'd been found out and didn't feel he was good enough at Test level. I was quite angry that he was picked for the subcontinent tour over blooding other lads.

However, all he can do is score runs in the championship and he's doing just that.

Last edited:
Where've you heard this about Stokes? He's been told to play for Durham next week against Worcestershire in the day-night Championship game and has been bowling on the pitch during intervals (of the Glamorgan game). Nothing to suggest there's owt the matter with him or that there'll be any limitation to his capabilities in that game.

I really wasn't a fan the last time he was picked, I thought he'd been found out and didn't feel he was good enough at Test level. I was quite angry that he was picked for the subcontinent tour over blooding other lads.

However, all he can do is score runs in the championship and he's doing just that.
The BBC article about Broad's injury says Stokes is a doubt but I'd guess that's still in relation to the injury that stopped him bowling as much as he'd have liked in the ICC trophy so he'd play as a batsman only. Obviously that's only an assumption....

Good to see Anderson picking up a few wickets today.

While it would be against normal policy to bring in a young player such as Hameed, see him do well and then drop him, his form has been so abysmal I don't think he will be selected. Might see Cook, Stoneman and Jennings as a top 3.
I think Hameed needs to get some runs in the Lions match, if Stoneman and Jennings get them instead I think England might look to make a change. They have been loyal to players in the past which has been good to see but his record this season is so bad and he is so young you wonder if he's been found out a bit. He wouldn't be the first to burst on to the scene then need to take a year or two to work things out and kick on.

Last edited:

Its not the same, he wasn't scoring runs on his recall was he. He was averaging mid 30s.

Hameed 0 and 2 for the Lions.

There really is no way he should open ahead of Jennings.

Expect he still will though.

#FTECB

Hameed 0 and 2 for the Lions.

There really is no way he should open ahead of Jennings.

Expect he still will though.

#FTECB
Thing is, England selection over the recent years has been based on form for England rather than counties. So, Hamed played well.for England in the winter and (you could argue) has done nothing wrong in an England shirt to deserve being dropped. His county form is a worry however.

Of course, you could also make the argument that Jennings has done more in an England Shirt and is even less deserving to be dropped

Ballance has been picked to captain the Lions against SA. Read into that what you will. I suspect Hameed will be out if Ballance performs in the lions match.

Ballance has he too many chances at international level, but I fully agree with the we would be fucked without him comment, Yorkshire's batting performances this season have been nothing short of shite

I think it would be very harsh on Hameed given his last performance in an England shirt. With Root potentially dropping to 4 I think Jennings will bat 3. Batting there in the Lions games could be an indicator.

I would go

Cook
Hameed
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

I think it would be very harsh on Hameed given his last performance in an England shirt. With Root potentially dropping to 4 I think Jennings will bat 3. Batting there in the Lions games could be an indicator.

I would go

Cook
Hameed
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

i'd probably have woody in for buttler there, bairstow keeping wicket. stokes' bowling is a bit too much of a risk for me atm

If Stokes is fit to bowl that's great, otherwise we are a seamer short. Wood has to play surely, whats the betting Finn plays for Woakes ?! He is shite now and has lost at least 5mph..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back