TEST MATCH :: England v Pakistan

Terrible, yes. In the slips where the most damage has been done. But honestly: how bad a fielder is Stoneman? He's shocking.

What do you think to the idea in the media that they were toying with another experiment: Bairstow as opener.

Would probably have to give Buttler the gloves then.

It's not ideal, but I'm not completely against it. We have no quality at opener whatsoever - though you'd have to bring in a proper number three if you tried it and push Root back down to four. And I've no idea who that number three could be: maybe Jennings, but if he's good enough, then why not just bring him in in his proper position.

It was interesting that Bairstow opened for Yorkshire last month mind

Bairstow plays far too many shots to open IMO, but I have no doubt he would get the odd score.

Jennings and Gubbins are the options

Jennings will go to Sri Lanka and probably open IMO. I do think we get rid of openers too early IMO, you have to remember they spend half their time opening in England, the hardest place to do so in the world, and play a lot of tests early season.

Last summer for example every game was played in bowler friendly conditions against world class bowlers from SA

No surprise Hameed and Jennings looked better in India.

There's no pressure here though. Games gone. Like when Leaning gets nice meaningless 50s for Yorkshire when the game is gone.

Maybe, but you don't think he could do this anyway? The first innings was rash, seems like he has realised he doesn't need to do it.

I know what you mean, but I think he could do this type of innings any time, its just whether he can go big

There's no pressure here though. Games gone. Like when Leaning gets nice meaningless 50s for Yorkshire when the game is gone.

You good point mate, was merely saying Buttler has ice running through his blood, and is excellent under pressure, and that will never be a issue with him, it's more his technique at test level that is rightly under scrutiny.

Buttler barely played a shot in anger to be fair to him.

This is how I want him to play, I am the same as you if he is going to come and try and do a one day innings, will never work
The challenge has always been two fold with him

1) does he have the technique when it’s doing a bit?
2) can he play an innings for the situation, sensibly when needed and attacking when needed?

As I say I haven’t seen it, but he’s answering number 2

The challenge has always been two fold with him

1) does he have the technique when it’s doing a bit?
2) can he play an innings for the situation, sensibly when needed and attacking when needed?

As I say I haven’t seen it, but he’s answering number 2

I think he has the technique, basically it was doing a bit when he came in, he has been batting outside the crease and just outside off stump to completely take LBW out of the equation, so that is him thinking about adapting.

Brilliant by Bess, looks a genuine player.

I think he has the technique, basically it was doing a bit when he came in, he has been batting outside the crease and just outside off stump to completely take LBW out of the equation, so that is him thinking about adapting.

Brilliant by Bess, looks a genuine player.
I’m not convinced yet, especially when it’s on a 4th stump line.

We all know my views, but I am very happy to be wrong!!

Back