Term Time Holiday Dad Loses

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, you don't think demand goes up when the schools are off? I don't even know where to start this time.

Course I'm not happy about it. But I understand that any business, where there is no monopoly, can chose to charge what it likes in order to make a decent profit. If the prices were truly artificially inflated, then someone else would come in and under cut them.

See Uber
Demand for 2 person adults only cottages or other accommodation goes up because the schools are off? And you can see why that should happen?
What sort of increase would school workers with no kids put on accommodation of that type? Miniscule I'd say and certainly not enough to warrant the price increases I've seen.
You constantly choose to ignore what I'm talking about here and talk about holidays generally. I'm not on about a trip to Disneyland or anywhere else where younger couples go with their family. This conversation has become pointless.

Last edited:

Demand for 2 person adults only cottages or other accommodation goes up because the schools are off? And you can see why that should happen?
What sort of increase would school workers with no kids put on accommodation of that type? Miniscule I'd say and certainly not enough to warrant the price increases I've seen.
You constantly choose to ignore what I'm talking about here and talk about holidays generally. I'm not on about a trip to Disneyland or anywhere else where younger couples go with their family. This conversation has become pointless.

Demand for everything goes up
Which means more people wanting everything.
Means less choice for people

You can't see how this also impinged on the situation you've outlined above?

Let me put it another way.

3 times as many people come to town in February for "reasons"
There's lots of types of bread in the only shop in town
Some bread is good for kids and adults
The families buy all of that type - none left
Some adults also like the family break, but also like the adult-only bread
But there's no family break left
All the single adults now only have adult break to pick from
Demand for adult break also goes up

I'm pretty sure you already know how this works, but you're lying to yourself now that you've got too deep to back out gracefully.

If they spread the school holidays over longer periods the holiday industry will just increase their prices over a longer period.
Pricing is a big scam really and even accommodation for 2 where kids are not allowed have price increases during school holidays. I was looking to rent a cottage near Ayr for a few days this week and found some prices had more than doubled for this week and next week. They are cottages for 2 some even specify no children so why increase the price like that at this time. Thankfully I noticed very few had bookings so their greed has cost them.

We had a stay in a holiday cottage in Scotland no that long ago, the owner charges a flat rate throughout the year. The cottage is brand new & it's something owner has just got into, in order to promote the cottage she signed up with one of these holiday cottage websites. But she had to abide by their pricing structure, which offered discounts off peak (less than she normally charges, providing you go for a full week), but massively overcharged if you didn't want to go for a full week.
So depending if you booked direct, or booked via agents there were 2 completely different pricing structures.
In the end she manage to wrangle out of the contract, as they were being arseholes. People have mentioned before that it's not the travel agents who over charge, in this example it was the travel agent

Imagine if we all decided to take our kids out at the same time,might as well shut schools down.
All about principles and respect .
Something that has gone out of our society.
Think the judges made a very good point saying not fair on parents who respect the rules.

Demand for everything goes up
Which means more people wanting everything.
Means less choice for people

You can't see how this also impinged on the situation you've outlined above?

Let me put it another way.

3 times as many people come to town in February for "reasons"
There's lots of types of bread in the only shop in town
Some bread is good for kids and adults
The families buy all of that type - none left
Some adults also like the family break, but also like the adult-only bread
But there's no family break left
All the single adults now only have adult break to pick from
Demand for adult break also goes up

I'm pretty sure you already know how this works, but you're lying to yourself now that you've got too deep to back out gracefully.
Adult only bread what a shit analogy.:lol::oops:
I'm not talking about a cottage that loads of people can stay in but there is only me and the mrs so i want a 2 person price. The places I'm talking about can't take more than 2 people, some even state unsuitable for children.
Fuck me your desperation to be proved right is getting embarrassing marra. There is no reason on this planet to up prices in the circumstances I've stated. Well there is a reason it's called greed, good old fashioned greed. As for your last paragraph.:lol:

I'm not talking about a cottage that loads of people can stay in but there is only me and the mrs so i want a 2 person price. The places I'm talking about can't take more than 2 people, some even state unsuitable for children.
Fuck me your desperation to be proved right is getting embarrassing marra. There is no reason on this planet to up prices in the circumstances I've stated. Well there is a reason it's called greed, good old fashioned greed. As for your last paragraph.:lol:
More demand for adult only getaways during school holidays due to people wanting to holiday away from the kids that other resorts will be crawling with?

More demand for adult only getaways during school holidays due to people wanting to holiday away from the kids that other resorts will be crawling with?
Those resorts won't have kids at any time so whether they go during g the school holidays or outside of them there won't be kids. Again no need to increase price because the schools are off, children don't come into the equation.
Anyway I'm talking about a holiday cottage which isnt a resort and where there won't /can't be any kids there at all.

Those resorts won't have kids at any time so whether they go during g the school holidays or outside of them there won't be kids. Again no need to increase price because the schools are off, children don't come into the equation.
Anyway I'm talking about a holiday cottage which isnt a resort and where there won't /can't be any kids there at all.
But won't there be increased demand for that sort of place during school holidays as anyone looking for a child free breaks would dismiss resorts or other places they may go to during term time?
I don't know the answer.

Loads of people without kids have to go away during school holidays too. Certain factories, anyone who works in schools and colleges etc

But won't there be increased demand for that sort of place during school holidays as anyone looking for a child free breaks would dismiss resorts or other places they may go to during term time?
I don't know the answer.
He thinks that demand only goes up in places that take kids. He doesn't realise that people without kids have both options.

Loads of people without kids have to go away during school holidays too. Certain factories, anyone who works in schools and colleges etc
The second piece of his argument that doesn't work.

Thank fuck its not just me who sees this

I'm honesly struggling to make it any easier for you. You are a challenge. As a clever man once said, if you make something idiot-proof, the world will create a better idiot.

Last edited:
Even back in the good old days of the shipyard fortnight when we had factories and industry of any note, I doubt anywhere closed for 2 weeks at easter. So any extra demand for a 2 person cottqge would be from school workers who don't have kids and want to book a cottage in this country at that time. Hardly enough to warrant big price increases, is it?

He thinks that demand only goes up in places that take kids. He doesn't realise that people without kids have both options.

The second piece of his argument that doesn't work.

Thank fuck its not just me who sees this

I'm honesly struggling to make it any easier for you. You are a challenge. As a clever man once said, if you make something idiot-proof, the world will create a better idiot.

The irony of you calling me an idiot is staggering considering your constant sideways moves to points I haven't made. You're the idiot after I posted about booking a cottage in Ayr waffled on about flying and holiday resorts that I made no mention of. Then back you come trying to dig yourself out of the entrenched position youve put yourself in, and of course reverting to type by trying to insult me. You calling me an idiot has actually made my day I'm still, laughing at the irony.
Look I'll say it again because your castle wall thick skull can't take it in. There is no need to massively bump prices for a 2 person cottage for the easter school holidays because there are no kids going to be staying there. The only reason is greed, there is no other reason. Fair enough a slight increase as the year goes on is fair enough because the weather is getting better which will create more demand.
There you go mush you've had some of your insults back, enjoy.

Last edited:
Even back in the good old days of the shipyard fortnight when we had factories and industry of any note, I doubt anywhere closed for 2 weeks at easter. So any extra demand for a 2 person cottqge would be from school workers who don't have kids and want to book a cottage in this country at that time. Hardly enough to warrant big price increases, is it
Huge increase in demand otherwise prices wouldn't rise. It's obvious that more people want to go away during school holiday times.

If there wasn't increased demand then prices wouldn't rise.

There is no need to massively bump prices for a 2 person cottage for the easter school holidays because there are no kids going to be staying there
Then the market won't be open to a rise as the people in question would simply go the week earlier/later. In reality prices tend to rise in the sort of places where demand increases. You can call it greed, they could easily charge less, or you can call it the going rate.

You don't tend to see two many two person cottages mind. Even the smallest tend to sleep four which puts then in family territory.

Last edited:
Huge increase in demand otherwise prices wouldn't rise. It's obvious that more people want to go away during school holiday times.

If there wasn't increased demand then prices wouldn't rise.

Where will the 'huge' increase in demand come from for 2 person cottages during the school easter holidays? The people booking these places don't have kids so don't have to take them into account when holidaying.
There's loads of 2 person 1 bedroom cottages I book them all the time.

Last edited:
Where will the 'huge' increase in demand come from for 2 person cottages during the school easter holidays? The people booking these places don't have kids so don't have to take them into account when holidaying.

I'd imagine prices won't increase much on these sort of places. Can you link me to a two person cottage as an example.

You just don't get it, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back