Term Time Holiday Dad Loses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where will the 'huge' increase in demand come from for 2 person cottages during the school easter holidays? The people booking these places don't have kids so don't have to take them into account when holidaying.
There's loads of 2 person 1 bedroom cottages I book them all the time.

Its because couples who might ordinarily go to another hotel will avoid that hotel during holiday season because its flooded with kids... therefore they look for options where there are not going to be any kids and they end up looking at things like 2 person cottages (That they might not have considered outside of the school holidays because most places are kid free outside the hols). This means more people than normal are interested in the 2 person cottage... supply and demand means that the owners stick the prices up.

You just don't get it, do you?
I get that you're a dull boars-head who is arguing for the sake of arguing.. I'm out of this now I can't read any more shit from you or reply to your meaningless soundbites.

Its because couples who might ordinarily go to another hotel will avoid that hotel during holiday season because its flooded with kids... therefore they look for options where there are not going to be any kids and they end up looking at things like 2 person cottages (That they might not have considered outside of the school holidays because most places are kid free outside the hols). This means more people than normal are interested in the 2 person cottage... supply and demand means that the owners stick the prices up.
The extra demand doesn't exist because as I said earlier they aren't getting bookings. Places on Sykes are reducing their prices for next week due to no take up. I suppose that is one way around the problem and book at the last second to get a reduction.

Last edited:
I get that you're a dull boars-head who is arguing for the sake of arguing.. I'm out of this now I can't read any more shit from you or reply to your meaningless soundbites.
That's me, and the other people who also can't believe how you can't understand it :lol:

One last try, now that I'm not on a phone.

Situation 1: Not in school holidays / peak times
  1. There's some couples and some families wanting a cottage holiday
  2. There's a fixed number of 1 bedroom cottages, and 2 bedroom cottages
  3. Prices are fairly cheap, so some of the couples are happy to pay a little premium to get the bigger places, some wouldn't be happy to do so
  4. Everyone gets a cottage that suits them - everyone is happy

Situation 2: In School holidays / peak times
  1. There's some couples (probably more than in Situation 1 - its Easter, factory fortnight, bank holiday weekend, whatever) and lots of families wanting a cottage holiday
  2. There's the same number number of 1 bedroom cottages, and 2 bedroom cottages available as Situation 1
  3. The demand for the 2 bedroom cottages is far higher than before. Prices shoot up and eventually they all become booked
  4. The couples who, in situation 1, were happy to pay a little bit extra for a larger cottage either don't want to pay the inflated price, or simply can't book one as they are sold out
  5. Those couples now need to book a 1 bedroom cottage
  6. Demand for 1 bedroom cottages has gone up

I literally can't make it any more clear for you.

Where will the 'huge' increase in demand come from for 2 person cottages during the school easter holidays? The people booking these places don't have kids so don't have to take them into account when holidaying.
There's loads of 2 person 1 bedroom cottages I book them all the time.
Teachers, teaching assistants, people taking advantage of the bank holidays Good Friday and Easter Monday....

Reactions: PTR
Teachers, teaching assistants, people taking advantage of the bank holidays Good Friday and Easter Monday....

which will be offset by those avoiding school holidays. I think he does have a point mind.
August fair enough, weather is nicer, but easter shouldn't cost more than june for 1 bed cottage in scotland

which will be offset by those avoiding school holidays. I think he does have a point mind.
August fair enough, weather is nicer, but easter shouldn't cost more than june for 1 bed cottage in scotland

Most one bed cottages sleep 4, I'd imagine this would mean they'll cost more during school holidays. The only reason it would cost more is supply and demand. He hasn't linked to a single cottage that only sleeps two though.

The extra demand doesn't exist because as I said earlier they aren't getting bookings.

What's your point then?

Last edited:
Most one bed cottages sleep 4, I'd imagine this would mean they'll cost more during school holidays. The only reason it would cost more is supply and demand. He hasn't linked to a single cottage that only sleeps two though.

What's your point then?
Most don't sleep 4, that is nonsense. Some do with put up beds and convertible sofas but if I was away with my kids I'd want them in a proper bedroom not virtually dossing on the floor. I didn't link anywhere because I couldn't be bothered with another pedantic wum and the search I had been doing no longer applied as it was after Saturday.
My point was pretty obvious really if you weren't just looking for an argument you'd see it. They try to get the increased prices but nobody takes it up. I'm amazed I had to explain that. Here's a 1 bed that sleeps 2

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cott...html#duration=7&calendar=2017-04&changeover=6

Most don't sleep 4, that is nonsense. Some do with put up beds and convertible sofas but if I was away with my kids I'd want them in a proper bedroom not virtually dossing on the floor. I didn't link anywhere because I couldn't be bothered with another pedantic wum and the search I had been doing no longer applied as it was after Saturday.
My point was pretty obvious really if you weren't just looking for an argument you'd see it. They try to get the increased prices but nobody takes it up. I'm amazed I had to explain that. Here's a 1 bed that sleeps 2

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cott...html#duration=7&calendar=2017-04&changeover=6

Beggars can't be choosers. Some families won't be wealthy enough, especially during school holidays.

Also, look at the prices, they still drop significantly once the schools are back. Supply and demand and all that.

Logon or register to see this image

I've got no idea what your argument is, so can't really argue my point. Are you saying prices go up during school holidays? If so, I agree.

Last edited:
Beggars can't be choosers. Some families won't be wealthy enough, especially during school holidays.

Also, look at the prices, they still drop significantly once the schools are back. Supply and demand and all that.

Logon or register to see this image

I've got no idea what your argument is, so can't really argue my point. Are you saying prices go up during school holidays? If so, I agree.
That one I linked to was trying to charge £533 for next week. The week after when the schools return the price is £447 even though no children will be staying there so kids holidays shouldn't apply as a price increase factor.
I don't have an argument, i just made the point of this kind of scam price increase. An argument was created for me by the usual argue in an empty room crowd. Read my posts my point is pretty clear for anybody who wants to see it.
Yes I'm saying prices go up but they shouldn't when the cottage doesn't accept children. Hope you understand now

That one I linked to was trying to charge £533 for next week. The week after when the schools return the price is £447 even though no children will be staying there so kids holidays shouldn't apply as a price increase factor.
I don't have an argument, i just made the point of this kind of scam price increase. An argument was created for me by the usual argue in an empty room crowd. Read my posts my point is pretty clear for anybody who wants to see it.
Yes I'm saying prices go up but they shouldn't when the cottage doesn't accept children. Hope you understand now

Does the cottage accept teachers/teaching assistants/factor workers etc? It's still clearly supply and demand, or prices wouldn't be able to sustain a rise as people would simply go the week later. There's nowt to argue, this is simple stuff.

Does the cottage accept teachers/teaching assistants/factor workers etc? It's still clearly supply and demand, or prices wouldn't be able to sustain a rise as people would simply go the week later. There's nowt to argue, this is simple stuff.
How many of those you quote will have no children and have a week away at easter? I know a couple of teachers my son is one but they never go away at easter. Factory workers, maybe 40 years ago.
You're right it is simple stuff which is why I can't understand anybody arguing that it is fair to charge a premium in the circumstances I've said. Well I can understand, on here it's how it is, par for the course.

How many of those you quote will have no children and have a week away at easter? I know a couple of teachers my son is one but they never go away at easter. Factory workers, maybe 40 years ago.
You're right it is simple stuff which is why I can't understand anybody arguing that it is fair to charge a premium in the circumstances I've said. Well I can understand, on here it's how it is, par for the course.

Fairness doesn't come into it. They will only successfully charge more for school holidays if people are willing to pay it. The only people usually willing to pay it are those with no choice. Without people willing to pay it then prices will level off.

I think we are in agreement?

Love the fact that he's totally ignoring the perfectly clear example I gave of how demand increases for 1 bedroom places. Yet still peddles his same bullshit that there is no reason for demand to go up:

1. Increased demand of larger properties does actually filter down to smaller ones, as I detailed
2. Loads of people have holidays in - the f***ing holidays - so general demand is up

He simply doesn't want to admit to being wrong.

I wonder if as much of a fuss would have been kicked up if this bloke had taken the kids to like Rome or somewhere on a cultural where they might learn something.

Love the fact that he's totally ignoring the perfectly clear example I gave of how demand increases for 1 bedroom places. Yet still peddles his same bullshit that there is no reason for demand to go up:

1. Increased demand of larger properties does actually filter down to smaller ones, as I detailed
2. Loads of people have holidays in - the f***ing holidays - so general demand is up

He simply doesn't want to admit to being wrong.

I've noticed before he seems incapable of reading and stuff. His heart's in the right place though iirc.

I've noticed before he seems incapable of reading and stuff. His heart's in the right place though iirc.
I'm all for cheaper holidays for everyone.
Which is why I mention ideas that myself and others have had, that might help a little bit - rather than just moaning like a tosser with my fingers in my ears.

I'm all for cheaper holidays for everyone.
Which is why I mention ideas that myself and others have had, that might help a little bit - rather than just moaning like a tosser with my fingers in my ears.

Staggering school holidays might work. Allowing schools to cancel half term and have an extra week at the end of term might work. Even saving up teacher training days and using them in a block rather than randomly might be an option.

Or each school could designate a week or two a year where they do stuff not on the main curriculum so that people could take holidays without missing out then. Unless things have changed, schools pretty much did this unofficially during the last week of term anyway.

Reactions: PTR
Staggering school holidays might work. Allowing schools to cancel half term and have an extra week at the end of term might work.

This is what most people are saying but the government are not listening.

The only thing that can't change during a school year is the final exams and specific holidays like easter and xmas. If they said 50% of schools had the two weeks before easter and the other 50% the two weeks after easter, likewise with Xmas and other bank holidays and move the start and end of the six weeks to vary by at least 3 weeks. Maybe that would work as it would potentially double the amount of time that becomes peak and therefore the holiday companies would be able to reduce the costs due to people being able to shop around.

This is what most people are saying but the government are not listening.

The only thing that can't change during a school year is the final exams and specific holidays like easter and xmas. If they said 50% of schools had the two weeks before easter and the other 50% the two weeks after easter, likewise with Xmas and other bank holidays and move the start and end of the six weeks to vary by at least 3 weeks. Maybe that would work as it would potentially double the amount of time that becomes peak and therefore the holiday companies would be able to reduce the costs due to people being able to shop around.

I think it might have happened a bit recently as my kids just started their holidays today whereas I'm sure other council areas are on their second week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back