Technology for offsides

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if they can't see a problem in the x amount of seconds before the restart but it transpires there was one?

Even if it sucks some of the joy out of the game?

Where does the handball fit in?
I didn't see it as I didn't watch the game

And it's not as binary as offside so probably leave to referee judgement

Managers should get three challenges. If they get their challenge wrong, the lose one of their substitutions.

They'd only then use it when they knew it was a complete fuck up by the ref.
Like Hawkeye. Be the best system.

You can

You can have technology for binary decisions and judgement for others

Sorry mate but that would be absolute chaos. Imagine ignoring a decision in the build up but then making a decision based on technology a couple of seconds later.

For a start I don't think it will, secondly for those who get triggered by a very brief delay once in a blue moon would be far more unhappy knowing the goal they scored was written off.

Look at the Arsenal goal yesterday; that's a good example of what it would be like when a goal is scored. Nobody quite sure what to do, having to check and wait 15-20 seconds or so. How can that not take some of the joy out of it as a fan? The best moment is when the ball hits the back of the net.

Last edited:
Sorry mate but that would be absolute chaos. Imagine ignoring a decision in the build up but then making a decision based on technology a couple of seconds later.

Look at the Arsenal goal yesterday; that's a good example of what it would be like when a goal is scored. Nobody quite sure what to do, having to check and wait 15-20 seconds or so. How can that not take some of the joy out of it as a fan? The best moment is when the ball hits the back of the net.
Disagree

You just set the terms behind what technology does. Now it has goal line. That's not chaos

The rules need changing back to when football was good. No second phase shite and players three yards offside in the middle of the box being classed as not interfering. It's f***ing bollocks.

What always gets me about this "not interfering" shite is that it doesn't seem to apply to defenders. I remember a few years ago, Ringo had been dumped on his arse out by the corner flag yet he was deemed to have played the goalscorer onside. I think he may have even needed treatment.

Because I don't think that what happened in that game represents how it will actually work. It will be more akin to goal/no goal decisions that takes a second or two. Plus, if my team scored a goal and it wasn't allowed due to an incorrect offside decision, I'd be 100x more pissed than a 1-5 second delay.

Disagree

You just set the terms behind what technology does. Now it has goal line. That's not chaos

Goal line is black and white and instantaneous. This wouldn't be either.

Fwiw, I don't think they'll introduce it until it's pretty much foolproof so hopefully when it does eventually happen, they will have thought of a way that actually works without the controversy.

Because I don't think that what happened in that game represents how it will actually work. It will be more akin to goal/no goal decisions that takes a second or two. Plus, if my team scored a goal and it wasn't allowed due to an incorrect offside decision, I'd be 100x more pissed than a 1-5 second delay.

But what if there was a handball in the build up but that got ignored because it's not what was being looked at? If the mags had a goal disallowed for offside against us, but then it got overturned despite the handball, would you accept that?

Last edited:
Whatever the rights and wrongs it is question of when not if.

In 20 years time it will looked upon,how daft it was that decisions effecting possibly millions of pounds were left to just the hunan eye.

It's time football moved into the 20th century and with all the money flowing in and clever people in this world there should be a way to make techology work.

It's simply unfair that a team could lose a big game because of a mistake by a ref and also unfair that a ref gets loads of grief for a entirely understanable mistakes

Goal line is black and white and instantaneous. This wouldn't be either.

Fwiw, I don't think they'll introduce it until it's pretty much foolproof so hopefully when it does eventually happen, they will have thought of a way that actually works without the controversy.

But what if there was a handball in the build up but that got ignored because it's not what was being looked at? If the mags had a goal disallowed for offside against us, but then it got overturned despite the handball, would you accept that?
Why couldn't it be instantaneous? It's the same concept if the rule is simple.

Ball kicked freeze frame with line of last defender.

The technology is already there.

The celebrations would be a bit naff though

You score a goal peel away to celebrate hang on marra have to check see if your offside

Wait for replay to be shown you were onside marra continue your celebrations :rolleyes:
Think of it the other way. Most goals have no hint of offside

It's the rugby example "is there a reason I can't give this?"

It's literally seconds if you simplify the rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back