Technology for offsides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each to their own I guess. If you take out the option for defenders to play offside then you also remove the need for the art of timing a run or timing a pass. It should be an equal balance or we risk becoming American.

Well yeah of course see your point, however if any doubt should go to the attacking team imo as want to encourage teams too attack rather then defend.

Well yeah of course see your point, however if any doubt should go to the attacking team imo as want to encourage teams too attack rather then defend.

I agree with borderline offsides going with the attacker but second phase stuff is ridiculous. You now see forwards standing four yards offside, a ball goes out wide, it's then squared to them in the middle and they are in the clear. It's barmy.

Errors will still happen but less errors that are in the game currently. We've had some fairly obvious offside decisions this season that have resulted in goals that should have been overturned and would have been with technology. Just depends how they implement it, a challenge system etc.
In tennis its point by point and the ball is either in or out.
In NFL it's play by play and the rules are fairly black and white.
In cricket it's ball by ball it's very black and white and technology is fairly divisive.
In rugby its phase by phase and the play can go back and be reset.

Football is fluid and the grey areas are massive. 'Experts' can't decide what is and isn't a dive or what is or isn't offside. Video replays really won't work. Technology works as proven with goal line technology but video replays will cause as many problems as they'll solve.

I agree with borderline offsides going with the attacker but second phase stuff is ridiculous. You now see forwards standing four yards offside, a ball goes out wide, it's then squared to them in the middle and they are in the clear. It's barmy.

Yeah I can see your point but certainly don't want to go back to old rules where good shots from outside the box are ruled out.

In cricket it's ball by ball it's very black and white and technology is fairly divisive.

Football is fluid and the grey areas are massive. 'Experts' can't decide what is and isn't a dive or what is or isn't offside. Video replays really won't work. Technology works as proven with goal line technology but video replays will cause as many problems as they'll solve.

I agree with that up to a point in the sense fans should accept without techology mistakes by officials are absolutely inevitable.

Problem been a lot of fans don't .

Last edited:
The off-side rule is a joke any player standing in an off-side position is seeking to gain an advantage the passive and active rule makes a simple decision complex. Change the rule back keep it simple. If a player scores a goal from 40 yards and a player is standing off-side it should be disallowed end of story. Keep it simple.

The off-side rule is a joke any player standing in an off-side position is seeking to gain an advantage the passive and active rule makes a simple decision complex. Change the rule back keep it simple. If a player scores a goal from 40 yards and a player is standing off-side it should be disallowed end of story. Keep it simple.

No it should not

I can agree with dives but offside is literally you are either off or on.

Was Sanchez goal on or off?
Fair point, 99% of the time it's not like that though. If we were playing Newcastle and they scored a goal against up a mile offside then I'd be rightly pissed off. I would like that cut out of the game.

It would take a couple of seconds and you check every goal quickly while the players are kissing each other

As long as they simplify the rule and if you are on the pitch you are interfering

It would be dreadful. Imagine them checking every penalty incident or if the offside is fractions in it. They'd be having a natter for ages and then people start complaining about the angle of the cameras ect.

Turn exactly into American football all the replays

Leave it as it is if it's a wrang call tough

Fair point, 99% of the time it's not like that though. If we were playing Newcastle and they scored a goal against up a mile offside then I'd be rightly pissed off. I would like that cut out of the game.
Again 99% of the time it's not like that though, it's fine margins, where replays need to be paused and lines put across the screen to tell.

I'm not against technology. I love goal line technology how it's instantaneous. If something similar could be implemented for offside I'd be all for it. I just feel replays aren't always definitive, football has too many grey areas, and compared to other sports where the nature of the game play is stop start anyway, the fluidity of football isn't something that should be messed with.

I can't understand why they can't just let play continue along with the goal celebrations, at the same time three judge referees with access to cameras must quickly decide if they should overrule the referee or not. Only in the case of when a goal is scored.

What if they can't see a problem in the x amount of seconds before the restart but it transpires there was one?

Correct results will always be better than wrong ones. End of Thread.

Even if it sucks some of the joy out of the game?

It would take a couple of seconds and you check every goal quickly while the players are kissing each other

As long as they simplify the rule and if you are on the pitch you are interfering

Where does the handball fit in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back