Tall Ships....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just had to nip to B&Q, was canny heaving around the bridge and St Peters with people. Wise decision to keep traffic to a minimum with P&R, I didn't get stuck behind a load of out-of-towners who were lost in Sunderland's confusing lanes/roundabout system.

One observation, the Tall Ships brings a classier looking visitor than the Air Show. Nee pasty bairns or vest-wearing charvers to be seen.

Some cracking ships, had a close up of a few of them last night, canny crack some of the crew watching us train and waving at us

Looks great with all the masts and that in the river. Probably never looked like that down there since the late 1800's.

Bikes not allowed on the docks, not allowing dogs either. But both welcome on the other side of the river . sorry if already been said.

I hear it pretty regular if they're talking about near that area.
Maybe it's only people who are from there who use it now.
Don't know marra. It must be very local. Certainly can't recall hearing anything about it. It's not used in the same way the Newcastle town moor is anyway.

Just had to nip to B&Q, was canny heaving around the bridge and St Peters with people. Wise decision to keep traffic to a minimum with P&R, I didn't get stuck behind a load of out-of-towners who were lost in Sunderland's confusing lanes/roundabout system.

One observation, the Tall Ships brings a classier looking visitor than the Air Show. Nee pasty bairns or vest-wearing charvers to be seen.

Looks great with all the masts and that in the river. Probably never looked like that down there since the late 1800's.

The main point that every daft idiot on Facebook is completly missing! You couldn't park at Hartlepool, nor Blyth or on the quayside so why should Sunderland be any different, is everyone that lazy that they have to park as near as possible.

The main point that every daft idiot on Facebook is completly missing! You couldn't park at Hartlepool, nor Blyth or on the quayside so why should Sunderland be any different, is everyone that lazy that they have to park as near as possible.

P&R buses were plentiful and coming from all directions. A tenner for 4 people to park up, get transported in, then transported around the sites seems like a bargain to me. The lengths some people gan to to avoid paying for any kind of parking is ridiculous.

Don't know marra. It must be very local. Certainly can't recall hearing anything about it. It's not used in the same way the Newcastle town moor is anyway.

It was greatly reduced with the advent of the railways (Sunderland's first main station was nearby).

P&R buses were plentiful and coming from all directions. A tenner for 4 people to park up, get transported in, then transported around the sites seems like a bargain to me. The lengths some people gan to to avoid paying for any kind of parking is ridiculous.

It was greatly reduced with the advent of the railways (Sunderland's first main station was nearby).

People pay it for the airshow and they know they can't park on the seafront so I don't get why it's come as such a surprise. We've been to all the local tall ships and its cost us the same if not more to park. £10 for a guaranteed space on the seafront to watch them sail away is a bargain, I'm just gutted it's landed on the same weekend as my birthday so we'll miss it

Ah right so never really been a recent thing?

Well a small part of it has always been there since the mid-1800's and has remained in use ever since. It's just big enough to hold horse racing and stuff like that now.

In spite of the pressure surrounding it, much of the town moor remained, and parts remain still, open ground. Its seaward side was transformed and protected, and lost territory reclaimed, by the building of South Dock, and other docks and railways, from the mid-19th century. Before that, the coast was under constant attack from ‘old Neptune’. Erosion quickened after the south pier was built in the 1720s, for the rocks disappeared under sand and tide, and the sea launched a direct assault on the low cliff. Grassmen working for the new parish took charge of the moor from 1718. A fence dividing the coney warren from the moor was replaced by a wall, while a ‘stunted thorn hedge’ enclosed the intake. There were ponds on all three parts of the commons, and the moor itself drained into three ditches, crossed by small bridges. The grassmen also maintained Spaw or Spa well, a spring approached by half a dozen stone steps, protected by a brick arch open to the east. Repaired in 1718, it was presumably older still. Spaw well and the neighbouring Lowther’s hall, along with one of the ponds, and the herdsman’s house near what became Barrack Street, were washed away by the sea before 1817, and the battery near the harbour entrance required frequent rebuilding.

Several public buildings trespassed on the edges of the commons: the church in 1719, the school, a workhouse c. 1740, and soon after that the battery. A roper’s house on the boundary of the moor and warren was threatened with demolition in 1750, presumably because it was unauthorised. Plenty of open ground remained, though, for traditional activities: horse-racing, bowling and many other sports; religious and political meetings; fairs, for which booths were set up; and the more mundane drying of nets and clothes, and informal social gatherings. ii The Sunderland Dock Co. started building the South Dock in 1847. A coal-shipping dock for up to 350 vessels covered 18½ a., and had at its north end a tidal harbour and half-tide basin each of 2½ a. The works swallowed shoreline and a large part of the town moor. Other sections of the moor were lost to railways approaching from the south. The remaining town moor was finally surrendered by the freemen and stallingers in 1853, for which they received enough money to endow an Orphan Asylum, built 1856-61 on the moor itself.

Bikes not allowed on the docks, not allowing dogs either. But both welcome on the other side of the river . sorry if already been said.

Was over by the glass centre on my bike last night , going at about walking pace not really going close to folk, when some silly cow decided to tell me I shouldn’t be riding my bike on a pavement, politely pointed out the she was walking on the C2C cycle route , mysteriously she went very quiet.

Silly bitch.

Was over by the glass centre on my bike last night , going at about walking pace not really going close to folk, when some silly cow decided to tell me I shouldn’t be riding my bike on a pavement, politely pointed out the she was walking on the C2C cycle route , mysteriously she went very quiet.

Silly bitch.

There's a sign at the Bonnersfield telling cyclists to hop off and push when it's busy.

Well a small part of it has always been there since the mid-1800's and has remained in use ever since. It's just big enough to hold horse racing and stuff like that now.

In spite of the pressure surrounding it, much of the town moor remained, and parts remain still, open ground. Its seaward side was transformed and protected, and lost territory reclaimed, by the building of South Dock, and other docks and railways, from the mid-19th century. Before that, the coast was under constant attack from ‘old Neptune’. Erosion quickened after the south pier was built in the 1720s, for the rocks disappeared under sand and tide, and the sea launched a direct assault on the low cliff. Grassmen working for the new parish took charge of the moor from 1718. A fence dividing the coney warren from the moor was replaced by a wall, while a ‘stunted thorn hedge’ enclosed the intake. There were ponds on all three parts of the commons, and the moor itself drained into three ditches, crossed by small bridges. The grassmen also maintained Spaw or Spa well, a spring approached by half a dozen stone steps, protected by a brick arch open to the east. Repaired in 1718, it was presumably older still. Spaw well and the neighbouring Lowther’s hall, along with one of the ponds, and the herdsman’s house near what became Barrack Street, were washed away by the sea before 1817, and the battery near the harbour entrance required frequent rebuilding.

Several public buildings trespassed on the edges of the commons: the church in 1719, the school, a workhouse c. 1740, and soon after that the battery. A roper’s house on the boundary of the moor and warren was threatened with demolition in 1750, presumably because it was unauthorised. Plenty of open ground remained, though, for traditional activities: horse-racing, bowling and many other sports; religious and political meetings; fairs, for which booths were set up; and the more mundane drying of nets and clothes, and informal social gatherings. ii The Sunderland Dock Co. started building the South Dock in 1847. A coal-shipping dock for up to 350 vessels covered 18½ a., and had at its north end a tidal harbour and half-tide basin each of 2½ a. The works swallowed shoreline and a large part of the town moor. Other sections of the moor were lost to railways approaching from the south. The remaining town moor was finally surrendered by the freemen and stallingers in 1853, for which they received enough money to endow an Orphan Asylum, built 1856-61 on the moor itself.
Think it was also used for bear bating.

There was a school on the moor called the Ragged School I think. My Granda went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back