Taking someone to court

She's already on UC. I've told them she's not been using the money she's been given for the purpose it was intended.
I'd take £2 a week for however long if it means she gets a weekly reminder that she's an absolute shithouse

Have a good look at what you have posted.

She’s on UC ,if she hasn’t paid the rent it confirms she’s got no assets

Take it on the chin regardless of your principled stance.

Principles cost you money, engage your brain and think it through before you go further.

Trust me I’ve been there.

Pick your tenants better next time , with a larger deposit is the best advice I can give you

To be honest I’m the same as you I’d be inclined to waste time, money and effort even for something as little as her getting a CCJ against her. Then again, I’m quite petty in these types of situations so maybe I’m not the best to listen to :lol:

Could always go rogue and start shitting through the letterbox, send countless takeaway to their door, let down the car tires etc.

Even better, do both.

At least you now have a little snippet to go on... ;)

Indeed I do! Although at this stage if she continues to stonewall me, she'll alienate herself from the rest of the entire family so that'll end well
To be honest I’m the same as you I’d be inclined to waste time, money and effort even for something as little as her getting a CCJ against her. Then again, I’m quite petty in these types of situations so maybe I’m not the best to listen to :lol:

Could always go rogue and start shitting through the letterbox, send countless takeaway to their door, let down the car tires etc.

Even better, do both.

I would. Except the takeaway thing. It's not fair to see someone else lose money.
Have a good look at what you have posted.

She’s on UC ,if she hasn’t paid the rent it confirms she’s got no assets

Take it on the chin regardless of your principled stance.

Principles cost you money, engage your brain and think it through before you go further.

Trust me I’ve been there.

Pick your tenants better next time , with a larger deposit is the best advice I can give you

Again, it was doing her a favour. It wasn't a case of picking. We could have let the letting agent find someone else and this may never have happened.
Or it could have happened with a shite tenant we didn't know. I think it's worse that we know who it is.

Last edited:
No address is pointless. If you find her address, then still doesn't pay, you then pay for bailiffs, then when she doesn't pay them...what are you going to do?

Fear not. Already have!

Like I said, it wasn't a case of being unwise. We were doing her a favour. In fact it was at the suggestion of her Auntie.
Said Auntie is absolutely fuming she's been made to look like an idiot for suggesting said niece.

Sounds to me like you instantly came across as a doormat and she rightly took advantage.

Absolutely diddled you :lol:

Hard I know but doesnt seem worth the hassle, put it down to a learning experience and hope they come to some form of sense. Someone might have better experience but even if you win, they will probably say they have nowt and get told to pay back 5 quid a month (with no recourse if they dont).
Sadly that's probably dammed good advice.

Universal credit payments can be decreased if you have rent arrears to pay them off. You could go down this route?

Also if you're on Facebook there's a group called time wasters and scammers they're very good with advice on this kind of thing

Last edited:
Afternoon O HiveMind of the SMB,

I've never had to do this before - thankfully - but unfortunately a situation has arisen, where some kernt owes me a fair chunk of money.
They've been given numerous opportunities to repay it - even in instalments, but for some reason they've decided ignoring me is a better idea.
More fool them.

Have any of you had to take anyone to court because they owed you money? To say Citizens Advice (or their phone line anyway) have been useless would be an understatement.
I've e-mailed the solicitors we used who did the conveyancing for our house to see if they have anyone there who might be able to help, but as with many of life's quandaries, I thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the SMB.

Any ideas?

My sister managed to successfully take a former friend to small claims court and won. They had booked a holiday together. My sister payed for it on her credit card and said the lass could give her the money over the 6 months they had before they went. They fell out in the mean time so they didn't go on the holiday. She did get the money back but it was in dribs and drabs over about a year. Not much help you like.

Fear not. Already have!

Like I said, it wasn't a case of being unwise. We were doing her a favour. In fact it was at the suggestion of her Auntie.
Said Auntie is absolutely fuming she's been made to look like an idiot for suggesting said niece.
Pics?
How do we know the Op's not some shithead landlord trying to extort money out of a perfectly reasonable tenant that they had blackmarked because they fancied a little bonus? Cuts both ways ;)
I know you’re kidding but this a real problem for the courts. They turn up with stories of damp and mould sometimes pictures. Their scum friends turn up as witnesses the lot. Plus some damage is expected (especially if evicted) depending on how long she lived there and if she had kids and pets. It’s got to be ransacked on purpose too claim successfully in most cases. My mate went through it last year the poor sod. Scum.

Last edited:
I've been there, and got the T-shirt. (Yes, scummy landlord).

There are people tracing companies that can find her. Cost about £60 last time I did it about 18 months ago.

Getting a judgement through the small claims track of County Court is fairly straightforward, just costs money and a bit of time filling in forms.

Getting the money once you have the judgement isn't quite so easy. Bailiffs are no use if the scrote has no assets. Getting an attachment to earnings is a pain in the arse.

I currently have a former tenant who owes me about £7k. Court ordered him to pay me £200 per month. I get random amounts, always less than £200, occasionally. Just enough to keep the courts off his back.

I'll get some of it back over time. I've effectively written off the debt but knowing I've caused him some grief is a small compensation.

With a CCJ against him he'll struggle to get any credit.

On a side note. When I was eventually successful in evicting him he put me down as a referee for his next landlord.

I refused to give one to the agent but suggested the potential new landlord call me directly. He didn't get that house.

I know where he lives and where he works, I'll get some of what is owed eventually.

Good luck in chasing her down. For less than £3k I wouldn't bother apart from the satisfaction of screwing their credit history.

She might be ‘scum’ but she’s also probably got fuck all to her name and living month to month just scraping by in life.

You’ve said her bloke abuses her.

You should write it off.

What was the property damage? Have you got appropriate landlord insurance? Sounds like you don’t and you’re probably not declaring it for tax either. You’re no better.

She might be ‘scum’ but she’s also probably got fuck all to her name and living month to month just scraping by in life.

You should write it off.

What was the property damage? Have you got appropriate landlord insurance? Sounds like you don’t and you’re probably not declaring it for tax either. You’re no better.
Oooof. If he’s going through an agent it’s probably legit.

Pics?

I know you’re kidding but this a real problem for the courts. They turn up with stories of damp and mould sometimes pictures. Their scum friends turn up as witnesses the lot. Plus some damage is expected (especially if evicted) depending on how long she lived there and if she had kids and pets. It’s got to be ransacked on purpose too claim successfully in most cases. My mate went through it last year the poor sod. Scum.

You wouldn't. And if you saw the meathead she was with, you'd be even more put off
Sounds to me like you instantly came across as a doormat and she rightly took advantage.

I do hope your next shit is a pineapple

Last edited:
If she's on UC and you take her to court you may well win @Keawyeds , but bear in mind she'll probably end up paying you back £5 a month and won't be all that arsed about the CCJ. Did you not get a bond when she moved in ? guarantor ? references etc ?

You should write it off.

:lol:
Although the landlord insurance is a valid point I was going to make.our tenant fucked off back to Ireland we think. Just packed her suitcase and just stopped paying rent. Took us a month to get access. We actually lost the first hearing to gain access to our own property and there wasn't anyone contesting ffs !!!
They left everything bar their clothes. Washing machine, dryer, tv, heaters beds, fridge. We gave a load to charity but our landlord insurance covered 80-90% of costs, lost rent, clean up, painting etc. Lesson learnt, no more Irish/Brits unless they're citizens.

Last edited:
I've been there, and got the T-shirt. (Yes, scummy landlord).

There are people tracing companies that can find her. Cost about £60 last time I did it about 18 months ago.

Getting a judgement through the small claims track of County Court is fairly straightforward, just costs money and a bit of time filling in forms.

Getting the money once you have the judgement isn't quite so easy. Bailiffs are no use if the scrote has no assets. Getting an attachment to earnings is a pain in the arse.

I currently have a former tenant who owes me about £7k. Court ordered him to pay me £200 per month. I get random amounts, always less than £200, occasionally. Just enough to keep the courts off his back.

I'll get some of it back over time. I've effectively written off the debt but knowing I've caused him some grief is a small compensation.

With a CCJ against him he'll struggle to get any credit.

On a side note. When I was eventually successful in evicting him he put me down as a referee for his next landlord.

I refused to give one to the agent but suggested the potential new landlord call me directly. He didn't get that house.

I know where he lives and where he works, I'll get some of what is owed eventually.

Good luck in chasing her down. For less than £3k I wouldn't bother apart from the satisfaction of screwing their credit history.

Done some work for a jewish lad who has about 200 buy to lets.
Had someone in court every week. Same judge often awarded him £400 to sort/redecorate a fecked house. Clueless.

Must be soul destroying doing this for a living.

Yeah fecking scream isnt it mate, some scratter doing an honest grafter out of loads of cash.

Done some work for a jewish lad who has about 200 buy to lets.
Had someone in court every week. Same judge often awarded him £400 to sort/redecorate a fecked house. Clueless.

Must be soul destroying doing this for a living.

Yeah fecking scream isnt it mate, some scratter doing an honest grafter out of loads of cash.
It’s the risk/reward of the rental market.

Did rigsby complain when his buy to let dumps have tripled in price?

Back