Taking someone to court

Some insurance policies cover unpaid rent.

Landlords need to skim off some of the income for short term cash flow.
It’s not about cash flow or insurance though is it, it’s the thought of someone taking the piss out of you and not respecting your property, they just get away with it. Why should we allow people to be like that?

It’s not about cash flow or insurance though is it, it’s the thought of someone taking the piss out of you and not respecting your property, they just get away with it. Why should we allow people to be like that?
It shouldn’t happen I agree. It’s why there are inventories, deposits, contracts.

Shite landlords shouldn’t rent out shite properties either.

Safc should always have a decent team.

Etc.

Last edited:

i dont see it a lot different to some scruffy twat pickpocketing £1500, infact it feels worse drawn over months/years.

no defence whatsoever. Bar on the smb.

Isn’t this part of being a landlord?

shouldn’t your letting agent be providing advice and help?
Letting agents are worse than rubbish.
Their standard business model is get tenant in as quick as possible, any tenant, it's no risk to them.
Collect rent each month, deduct their cut (usually 15%), two weeks later pay landlord.
Any problems at house, ring landlord ask him what should be done?
Problem tenants, ring landlord, ask him what should be done?
Problem with boiler, ring preferred supplier (usually a mate) fix it, charge landlord twice going rate and keep a cut.

I use agents on a "Find" tenant only basis and I only let out a property after I've reviewed the credit and personal references. Some agencies don't like to do this. I don't use those agencies.

Fingers crossed only the one bad tenant in ten years.

She might be ‘scum’ but she’s also probably got fuck all to her name and living month to month just scraping by in life.

You’ve said her bloke abuses her.

You should write it off.

What was the property damage? Have you got appropriate landlord insurance? Sounds like you don’t and you’re probably not declaring it for tax either. You’re no better.
Sexy :cool:

Afternoon O HiveMind of the SMB,

I've never had to do this before - thankfully - but unfortunately a situation has arisen, where some kernt owes me a fair chunk of money.
They've been given numerous opportunities to repay it - even in instalments, but for some reason they've decided ignoring me is a better idea.
More fool them.

Have any of you had to take anyone to court because they owed you money? To say Citizens Advice (or their phone line anyway) have been useless would be an understatement.
I've e-mailed the solicitors we used who did the conveyancing for our house to see if they have anyone there who might be able to help, but as with many of life's quandaries, I thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the SMB.

Any ideas?
Was owed £1800 rent by some tenants, I had legal cover and ended up getting a money order against them, the next step was taking them to court but given the amount I was advised against it given that they would plead poverty and end up getting it by very small payments over a very long time.

Just learn from it and move on, unless you can slyly get revenge on them some how.

This has always put me off buying another place to rent out.
My brother got stung before and just sold it and threw the towel in.

I wonder why she might be avoiding contact with you?
On a serious note, you know she’s with someone who is an abuser. Do you think perhaps he could be taking her money? I know you want your money back, but you’ve already said earlier you’d take £2 a week. Why not tell her family members that? Maybe she’ll get I touch with you.

Her phone has magically come back on! She's said she'll set up a standing order to start paying back.
I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I've seen on FB, it looks like the stupid bint has got engaged to this meathead now. They've barely been together. She's already lost so much so I'm guessing she's decided to go all in with this berk.
Her family members all know what she's been doing and are absolutely incredulous. They've tried to get her to sort herself out but she's ignored them too.
She might be ‘scum’ but she’s also probably got fuck all to her name and living month to month just scraping by in life.

You’ve said her bloke abuses her.

You should write it off.

What was the property damage? Have you got appropriate landlord insurance? Sounds like you don’t and you’re probably not declaring it for tax either. You’re no better.

Her decisions have put her in the position she's now in.

I've no proof he abuses her - not my business - but he he's been in the nick for assaulting his mother. He's not allowed to see her anymore I believe.
She's not allowed to see her lad because of what she's been up to AND because she's with him.

I won't go into the full extent of the damage but considering it was spotless when she moved in, it was considerably not so when she was evicted. It'll take more than a lick of paint.
Never mind. It's getting sorted now.
Sounds to me like you instantly came across as a doormat and she rightly took advantage.

Absolutely diddled you :lol:

Rightly? Fuck off you daft bastard.
Isn’t this part of being a landlord?

shouldn’t your letting agent be providing advice and help?

Believe it or not, once they've been evicted that's where the letting agents help ends. It's up to you to get your own legal advice etc
Need some pics of the property so the SMB can decipher wether the op is a slum landlord or not.

I used to live there until last July you berk :lol:

Last edited:

Back