Taking someone to court

Had a similar thing many moons ago, but uninsured driver/car rather than rent. Went through small claims court, won the case easily. Guy got a CCJ, but we never got a penny. Couldn't do an attachment of earnings, his mother said he didn't live at the house any more. We gave up in the end. It was only £600 but back in the day that was a lot of money.

Probably best to save yourself the ag and just move on.

Seems she already has! If she’s on uc I doubt you’re going to get much joy even from small claims.

We'll see.
Move on. Life is too short.

Might have to. I've e-mailed moneyclaims anyway.
I know people who have lost more through no fault of their own. I think it's just more frustrating because we were doing her a favour and she took the piss.
Guy got a CCJ, but we never got a penny.

Thing is if she gets a CCJ and we don't get any money - albeit the court fees back from her - I'd take that as a victory

Last edited:
Maybe she will get her come-uppance one day

I suspect you could say she has for other things. She's fucked up many elements of her life already and she's not even 30.
However this was the fresh start she said she was so grateful for and then basically fucked that up too.

We'll see.

Might have to. I've e-mailed moneyclaims anyway.
I know people who have lost more through no fault of their own. I think it's just more frustrating because we were doing her a favour and she took the piss.

Thing is if she gets a CCJ and we don't get any money - albeit the court fees back from her - I'd take that as a victory
We will indeed but getting a payment plan of a quid a week isn’t really a victory there mate, suck it up move on and choose your tenants more wisely next time

We will indeed but getting a payment plan of a quid a week isn’t really a victory there mate, suck it up move on and choose your tenants more wisely next time

Fear not. Already have!

Like I said, it wasn't a case of being unwise. We were doing her a favour. In fact it was at the suggestion of her Auntie.
Said Auntie is absolutely fuming she's been made to look like an idiot for suggesting said niece.

Fear not. Already have!

Like I said, it wasn't a case of being unwise. We were doing her a favour. In fact it was at the suggestion of her Auntie.
Said Auntie is absolutely fuming she's been made to look like an idiot for suggesting said niece.
Get the aunt to cough up then, I’m sure she’d want to settle and then get the money off the niece, she’s have more luck than small claims id bet😂

Fear not. Already have!

Never let to friends and family, sure to end up falling out

This Universal Credit must be putting hundreds, or thousands of people in the same situation as you are in. Some people just can't manage their finaces.

This Universal Credit must be putting hundreds, or thousands of people in the same situation as you are in. Some people just can't manage their finaces.

There's a difference between not managing their finances and deliberately choosing to not pay what they owe
Get the aunt to cough up then, I’m sure she’d want to settle and then get the money off the niece, she’s have more luck than small claims id bet😂

I suspect she will be having very strong words should she see her in future!

This is the problem
Who the fck thought it was a good idea to hand some of the fckwits out there a lump of cash and trust them to act responsibly

Went through something very similar about 20 years ago. Looked into the process of chasing down the money and the odds of some success were just not worth it. Put it down to experience and moved on which I think was the best thing for personal happiness. As Rabbit would say - 'a lesson that life isn't fair'.

This is the problem
Who the fck thought it was a good idea to hand some of the fckwits out there a lump of cash and trust them to act responsibly

It was changed because there were some unscrupulous landlords who would take the DSS money and not do anything about the properties.
Now for me it would have made more sense to come down hard on them, rather than hand over a stack of cash to the financially irresponsible, BUT and this is important, if you're going to teach people responsibility, you need to let them try to be responsible. I imagine there are (sadly) thousands on UC who DO use their money properly, it's just this bint doesn't and it's going to be her undoing.

It was changed because there were some unscrupulous landlords who would take the DSS money and not do anything about the properties.
Now for me it would have made more sense to come down hard on them, rather than hand over a stack of cash to the financially irresponsible, BUT and this is important, if you're going to teach people responsibility, you need to let them try to be responsible. I imagine there are (sadly) thousands on UC who DO use their money properly, it's just this bint doesn't and it's going to be her undoing.
At least you now have a little snippet to go on... ;)

I totally agree with hitting unscrupulous landlords hard, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, outside of those thousands that do act responsibly there are far too many that don't.

I know this myself from personal experience

Back