taking kids on holiday outside of school holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can all spend time together as a family without leaving the country you know.
There were 6 kids 2 parents and 2 dogs. Foreign holidays all together weren't really feasible.
I do understand where you're coming from. I too came from a family with 5 kids and never went abroad, usually going camping etc. I was never taken out of school either. I also believe that a good education is important. Where we differ is that I don't think education is the 'be all and end all'.

It wasn't a put down when I mentioned not having kids. It's difficult to appreciate spending quality time as a family away when you don't get to experience it. I work away and don't spend as much time with my kids as I would like.

A year ago we took the two boys on a Interrail trip taking in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Slovakia visiting Christmas markets, experiences different cultures and seeing some fantastic scenery. We took a rucksack and had some fantastic adventures. This was well worth a week off school when we could get time off together :D.

Just playing devils advocate but rather than pulling your kids out of school could you not ring in sick? It amounts to the same thing but is arguably less selfish as you’re taking the flack for the cheaper holiday rather than potentially impacting your kids education?

You'd need a sick note for anything more than a week. Plus a lot of people would lose money then.

A year ago we took the two boys on a Interrail trip taking in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Slovakia visiting Christmas markets, experiences different cultures and seeing some fantastic scenery. We took a rucksack and had some fantastic adventures. This was well worth a week off school when we could get time off together

Sounds great that, it's something I'd like to do when they're a bit older.

Maybe they should have thought about that before "breeding" so often. You seem to think my family is oversized, even though it's half the size of yours.

You say you don't have kids, so based on that you have no idea what it's like to be a parent, or what it's like to take your kids on holiday, or probably how much more it costs during the school holidays. Basically you know nowt.

It wasn't a problem for my family having so many kids. We never complained about not having foreign holidays etc

Loved it.

What do you do with your children during the actual school holidays then?

You'd need a sick note for anything more than a week. Plus a lot of people would lose money then

Did you not think about these things before breeding?

I just don't understand this mentality that you must have foreign holidays.

Parenting involves sacrifice to the parent usually. Not the child

What do you do with your children during the actual school holidays then?

I'm mostly at work Monday-Friday so they're with the wife, so the usual sort of stuff kids these days do. Usually have the odd weekend away, other than that it's just normal stuff.

Did you not think about these things before breeding?

Did I not think about what things? I'm not sure what your point is. I considered financial matters before having kids, I had kids in my 30s (yay me). I knew we could afford a foreign holiday, that hasn't changed, we didn't go abroad for a couple of year when the youngest was born, but that was more logistical than anything else.

I just don't understand this mentality that you must have foreign holidays.

I don't have that mentality, if I couldn't afford one, I wouldn't go. I can, so I do. The kids enjoy it, but they think Butlins in Skeggy is amazing too.

Parenting involves sacrifice to the parent usually. Not the child

I'm sacrificing about £10k so they can meet randoms dressed in costumes. They're sacrificing nothing at their age - the head teacher was fully supportive too, although we'll get fined for my eldest as there's nothing they can do about the law.

At the end of the day Cat, you're not a parent so you aren't in the best position to judge others, everyone has a different situation, it doesn't make me a better parent going to Disney than I was before when we tended to go to Skeggy instead, nor does it make me any worse. You make these sort of decisions as a parents, it's certainly nothing selfish, there's plenty of places I'd rather be personally and loads of other ways I'd prefer to drop £10k.

Last edited:
I don't have that mentality, if I couldn't afford one, I wouldn't go. I can, so I do. The kids enjoy it, but they think Butlins in Skeggy is amazing too.

I'm sacrificing about £10k so they can meet randoms dressed in costumes. They're sacrificing nothing at their age - the head teacher was fully supportive too, although we'll get fined for my eldest as there's nothing they can do about the law.

At the end of the day Cat, you're not a parent so you aren't in the best position to judge others, everyone has a different situation, it doesn't make me a better parent going to Disney than I was before when we tended to go to Skeggy instead, nor does it make me any worse. You make these sort of decisions as a parents, it's certainly nothing selfish, there's plenty of places I'd rather be personally and loads of other ways I'd prefer to drop £10k.

Loads of BEAK and Hookers for me like and a mad weekender

@CatRyan on a Serious note are you on a wind up....or are you just an obnoxious twat like most over-educated cockneys

I think you read things that aren't there. If I can't afford to holiday, how come I'm taking them away?

she probably thinks you took out a massive wonga loan to cover the costs us poor folk in the North couldnt afford to save and pay for a holiday abroad surely

Last edited:
she probably thinks you took out a massive wonga loan to cover the costs us poor folk in the North couldnt afford to save and pay for a holiday abroad surely

Aye, she seems to presume lots of stuff. The expert aunt who thinks she knows how best to be a parent. If she ever did have kids then maybe her outlook would change. I know the sort of holiday I go on now is not one I would care about prior to having kids.

Aye, she seems to presume lots of stuff. The expert aunt who thinks she knows how best to be a parent. If she ever did have kids then maybe her outlook would change. I know the sort of holiday I go on now is not one I would care about prior to having kids.

too right, a week in IBIZA...with ya jaw going all directions of the compass whilst raving to noise

i have to admit im dying to go to Disney and Universal etc etc like im a big kid tho...i keep having to stop myself from buying the lego ghostbusters tower for the bairn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back