taking kids on holiday outside of school holidays

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Spennymackem1981, May 16, 2018.

1. Spennymackem1981

Spennymackem1981 Midfield

if you do it more than once in a year whats the worst that can happen do social services really get involved?

2. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

It's the workhouse for you, you depraved monster

HoxtonMackem and box2box like this.
  3. Le Chuck

Le Chuck Striker

You go to jail.

Think you're generally allowed 10 days, so 2 one weekers is fine.

Some schools / councils are stricter than others

4. dangermows

dangermows Striker

No :lol:

Daffy likes this.
  5. Sunlun79

Sunlun79 Reserve Squad

I've done it for the last 7 years no issues always told the school the truth. The worst that can happen would be a letter unless it's more than 10 days in a term then it's a fine.

6. Spennymackem1981

my lass was saying we will get done haha shes missing a week in september and reckons we will get done if we do it again in a calender year

7. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

Doing this next week

Ha'way the absconders!

Lewberry pie and HoxtonMackem like this.
  8. SAFCGardian

SAFCGardian Midfield

We have the last few years, and we are doing it this year as well, in 20 days. this is after the SAT's and when the kids are on a wind down anyway so its not as though they are going to be missing out on a lot at the end of the year.

9. dangermows

dangermows Striker

Nah.

And worst is a telling off and a poxy fine.

Just send the dick heads a postcard.

10. Sunlun79

Sunlun79 Reserve Squad

I've always struggled to get holidays when the kids are off as there's only 2 people allowed off out of 40! Don't see why the bairn should have to miss out. Go for it!

11. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Depends on the age of the kids and for how long you're taking them out for but frankly, if they're meant to be in school, that's where they should be.
    I suspect I may change my opinions slightly when ours gets to school age, but I doubt it.

12. Spennymackem1981

well the you

ones not 2 yet the other is 9.....dont get me wrong if she was doing exams i wouldn't do it..but missing 5 days of school at 9 is going to do no harm...where as a holiday ive looked at for May 2019 half term is £360 PP more a week than 2 weeks earlier.

the school can get fucked

Mackem DJ and Epping like this.
  13. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

Selfish pigs. If I go on holiday outside school holiday times I don't expect to have to be around your horrible little brats. Take them away during the school holidays so we all know the score.

Grumble.......mumble.....discontent.....

darius likes this.
  14. You probably will mate when you see the hike in prices ;)

I've took my eldest out a couple of times for a week..........now she's in high school I'm more reluctant to do it mind......then again a few days at the right time wont do any harm.

15. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

That's not the school. That's the holiday companies for taking advantage of necessity of education.
    It's wrong that it's that the difference is that much.

16. CatRyan

CatRyan Striker

Let's see... role modelling to your child that education isn't as important as application, turning up, taking part, being equal to everyone else, not expecting special treatment.... depends on what you want for your child. If you think dropping out of uni because you don't see why it's important to turn up and end up stacking shelves in your 30s through lack of options as a result is a good outcome you should definitely go for it.

Just saying

peachbum and zwartekat like this.
  17. AndrewP

AndrewP Striker

No they don't. Yo can be fined though.

I'm taking my kids out for a second time in three months soon. Expecting a fine this time.

18. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Depends what we end up doing/where we end up going.

As my folks are/were (retired!) teachers, I think the possibility of me taking them out of school would end up with me being removed from the will!

That's a very fair point.

19. Legend

Legend Striker

Imagine the fuss if teachers took holidays during term time...

20. AndrewP

AndrewP Striker

Sunderland only "allow" 9.5 days in any two rolling terms. So two weeks should see you fined by the rules.

£120 fine or extra £2500 on the holiday cost. No brainer for me like. They may miss out on finger painting catch up or some shit, but oh well, they'll learn more on their culturally fulfilling holiday. ;)

Brexit, PTR, Upthere and 2 others like this.