taking kids on holiday outside of school holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owa lass came grew up in a deprived household & never went away, not even a weekend to Blackpool. As a result she never had that interest stimulated & has very little geographical knowledge other than the North East, and the few places we've been to.
Me on the other hand did have family holidays (mainly UK ones) and developed an interest in different in different places.
I know where countries are, what the capital is, what currency they use etc, she knarrs sod all.

My Dad used to run Paris trips from school. He taught in split site school in Coxhoe and Bowburn. Some of the children there had never been out of Coxhoe/Bowburn. They'd not even been to Durham, so going to France was a massive thing for them.

True what you say about learning. My eldest recently said he was thankful that I've taken them places as they were growing up. He didn't realise how much he knew until he started doing pub quizes at uni and said he is ace at knowing "random obscure shit" :lol:

yeah were gonna get 30 hours thank fuck its such a rip off childcare like...i love the fact that single mothers on jobseekers get 15 hours free makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

maybe the thought that with such childcare in places cases like Baby P and Victoria Climbie could be prevented will make you feel even more warm and fuzzy

In mexico the hotels have bigger swimming pools ... I stayed in a great big huge resort with 5 hotels on the complex that had everything... including a dolphin encounter which I was really disappointed about.

my Tripadvisor review said it was the one thing that would make me reconsider satying there again. Hoping enough pressure over time will see them remove it
Let's hope so. I went whale watching when I went to Mexico and they were really strict about not interfering with the whales' lives etc. BUT, near where we went was a small pool with dolphins in for "swim with dolphins". it was dreadful. Hopefully enough people will not swim with dolphins and it will become a thing of the past.

We looked at an awful lot over a period of a few months Becs, it wasnt that we were short of ideas per say, more that we wanted something specific.

The thing we have looks ok, its just the drive that im dreading, and if its peaceful or not.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

That looks fabulous that mind. Can you break the journey up somewhere? My brother travels up here from Kent to visit, but they stop somewhere with a play park on the way. They have a leisurely picnic and the bairns and dog can have a run around. Breaks the journey up.

Let's hope so. I went whale watching when I went to Mexico and they were really strict about not interfering with the whales' lives etc. BUT, near where we went was a small pool with dolphins in for "swim with dolphins". it was dreadful. Hopefully enough people will not swim with dolphins and it will become a thing of the past.

I did it at Discovery Cove and while it was enjoyable I didn't feel as comfortable... they are all bred in capticity and have big lagoon type spaces bit still

the snorkeling with the rays and lazy river were better tbh

maybe the thought that with such childcare in places cases like Baby P and Victoria Climbie could be prevented will make you feel even more warm and fuzzy

Very obtuse post.

Were either of those cases living with single mothers?

Was the aim of 15 hours free childcare to prevent cases such as these ones.

Edit: Wasn't Victoria Climbie 8 or 9 years old?

Last edited:
Very obtuse post.

getting children who would otherwise be at home and unseen and might be getting abused was a big factor and argument for it at the time iirc

I've seen happier kids playing free on beaches and in rock pools than kids dragged round theme parks in the heat, crying and tired.

the simple stuff is often the best. Adults do it because they think the kids would prefer it... not to say they don't like theme parks but day after day can become too much.

its like when they take babies to the zoo.. bay couldt give a toss.. give it an hour pottering in a playground.. its the adults who want it thinking they are doing it for the baby

Very obtuse post.

Edit: Wasn't Victoria Climbie 8 or 9 years old?

I reckon it's designed to give the mother a break and chance to look for work.

We did an allocation on arrival caravan cheap in Scarborough once in May week. I knew we'd get the cheapo one with only a gas fire in the sitting room, so I took a plug in radiator with us for the bedrooms :oops:

We did that at primrose valley one year. It was that cold I'm sure I woke up hallucinating one night. Next year I went full on ,extra quilts thick socks dressing gowns and we ended up with radiators in the bedrooms as I paid a bit extra for a decent van that wasn't made from paper :lol:

Last edited:
I don't recall that, that's not to say it wasn't the case.

I'd suggest that if you are an abuser or feckless enough to let a partner abuse you 2-3 year old you probably aren't taking up the offer.

exactly.. its not compulsory and would mean getting their feckless arse out the house before 9am for some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back