Switching energy supplier - how does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aye but end result is British gas have one more customer.

But, the comparison site wouldn't get the benefit from all it's work and investment.

If people could make the comparison then buy direct, site's like Uswitch would lose bargaining power to negotiate a discount. It could evntually lead to the model becoming unviable, so no comparison sites - no discount - higher prices

But, the comparison site wouldn't get the benefit from all it's work and investment.

If people could make the comparison then buy direct, site's like Uswitch would lose bargaining power to negotiate a discount. It could evntually lead to the model becoming unviable, so no comparison sites - no discount - higher prices
So we're admitting the energy providers are running a cartel

The big companys have a strange buisness sence. Fleecing customers who stick with them. Seriously, change supplyers, its a doddle.
I have. Took about 2 minutes. Npower are f***ing disaster.

If you like, or you could consider the comparison site a salesman passing on some of its bonus to the customers it finds. Iirc, that's how they originally started, giving back a share of affiliate earnings.

NPower an absolute nightmare of a Company to deal with.
Worst Customer experience in my lifetime. Mistake after mistake almost laughable. Would never use them again.
Green Energy now and saved a fortune. Easy to deal with as well.
Already £100 in credit on my bill.
It is also my experience that NPower have the worst customer service in the World.

N power have had the worst customer satisfaction rating seven years on the trot.

Like many others, I found it a nightmare trying to switch away from them due to their ridiculous unjustified demands.

Beware !!!
Didn't you say that the other day in the other thread? You really don't like Npower do you, Len. ;)

I got a great deal on Npower. Leccy comes to about £1 a day. Cheapest I've had in years. Worst I had was Southern Electric, the fucker would eat electricity like it was going out of fashion. Stay away from SE.

Didn't you say that the other day in the other thread? You really don't like Npower do you, Len. ;)

I got a great deal on Npower. Leccy comes to about £1 a day. Cheapest I've had in years. Worst I had was Southern Electric, the fucker would eat electricity like it was going out of fashion. Stay away from SE.[/QUOTE]

What, they skimped on the electrons? Or maybe there was a leak in their cables?

The quote from British gas on a comparison website is significantly different from the quote on the British gas website. To the tune of 20%. Called bg and they won't match the lower rate.
thing to remember is use actual readings for about a years usage. That way you can be sure it is reasonably accurate. Can never be totally accurate as it depends on actual usage.
normally it is cheaper if you go dual fuel and pay by direct debit. Don't be fooled by just setting up a lowish direct debit. That doesn't do anything but cause heartache later.
Have a think about what sort of plan you want. want it too last a year or 3 years
some companies will offer a low costing based on a particular agent and use that agent to get you signed up (sounds like what happened to you). That's fine if you are happy but make sure you know when that cheap deal ends and that you don't get 6 months cheap deal and 6 months at a higher rate and you have to sign up for 12 months with a exit fee if you want to end it sooner.

use on the comparison sites, like

uswitch

Compare Energy Prices | Cheapest Gas and Electricity - uSwitch.com

or

MSE

Compare Energy Prices – Electricity, Gas and Dual fuel deals | Switch Energy Supplier{h1}&gclid=&msclkid=099401ffcc7a15bba6ab5df3cfcdaec5&aff_sub=google&aff_sub2=FPC+-+UK+-+EN+-+Generics+-+Money+Saving+Expert+-+Exact&aff_sub3=Energy&aff_sub4=money%20saving%20expert%20energy%20suppliers&aff_sub5=

they are all buying from the same suppliers. some have their own suppliers mind even if they owned by the same group they have to be ran as though different companies

in fairness most of the companies are much of a muchness when you compare like with like. Biggest disaster for most people is when they ignore plan closing date and go onto standard. some refuse to send in readings.

problem with npower is that their software is a disaster and nothing is easy. everything is a major task

The quote from British gas on a comparison website is significantly different from the quote on the British gas website. To the tune of 20%. Called bg and they won't match the lower rate.

This happened to me in January this year, signed up to BG through Uswitch, and signed the contract with the agreed unit rates on. I signed into online account management just after the switch and noticed that the unit rates were about 20% more than the ones in the contract. Contacted BG who blamed Uswitch for having incorrect pricing, Uswitch said the prices were correct, and it was BG who were wrong. BG then said that they'd given the incorrect region rates to Uswitch (However, the price still being quoted on uswitch 2 weeks later was the same price I'd signed up to even after both companies had been informed). I argued with BG for quite a while asking them to honour the contract that I had signed, and it took about a week, and me speaking to a manager, until they agreed to do something about it.

The fact that most people probably won't double check these things mean that they were probably making fortunes. They were the cheapest on USwitch at the time, so would have had loads sign up, and only a certain percentage would realise they were being charged more than they thought.

When I told them that I would go to both a solicitor and the press (and strangely enough the moneysavingexpert website) and tell them about it, they seemed to listen a bit more. The manager still refused to honour the unit prices/standing charges, however, I had worked out exactly what the difference in cost would be to me over the term of the contract for both the gas and electric and he agreed to credit my account with that amount. Was about £500 over the years contract. He did this with no extra tie-ins and put it through as a goodwill payment. Which was ridiculous really, because as soon as it was credited, I switched to EDF energy, and received a bank credit for about £400 once the final bill was settled.

thing to remember is use actual readings for about a years usage. That way you can be sure it is reasonably accurate. Can never be totally accurate as it depends on actual usage.
normally it is cheaper if you go dual fuel and pay by direct debit. Don't be fooled by just setting up a lowish direct debit. That doesn't do anything but cause heartache later.
Have a think about what sort of plan you want. want it too last a year or 3 years
some companies will offer a low costing based on a particular agent and use that agent to get you signed up (sounds like what happened to you). That's fine if you are happy but make sure you know when that cheap deal ends and that you don't get 6 months cheap deal and 6 months at a higher rate and you have to sign up for 12 months with a exit fee if you want to end it sooner.

use on the comparison sites, like

uswitch

Compare Energy Prices | Cheapest Gas and Electricity - uSwitch.com

or

MSE

Compare Energy Prices – Electricity, Gas and Dual fuel deals | Switch Energy Supplier{h1}&gclid=&msclkid=099401ffcc7a15bba6ab5df3cfcdaec5&aff_sub=google&aff_sub2=FPC+-+UK+-+EN+-+Generics+-+Money+Saving+Expert+-+Exact&aff_sub3=Energy&aff_sub4=money%20saving%20expert%20energy%20suppliers&aff_sub5=

The problem I had was not that the quote was inaccurate, it was that the unit prices and standing charge BG wanted when the switch completed were about 20% more than I signed up to on Uswitch.

This happened to me in January this year, signed up to BG through Uswitch, and signed the contract with the agreed unit rates on. I signed into online account management just after the switch and noticed that the unit rates were about 20% more than the ones in the contract. Contacted BG who blamed Uswitch for having incorrect pricing, Uswitch said the prices were correct, and it was BG who were wrong. BG then said that they'd given the incorrect region rates to Uswitch (However, the price still being quoted on uswitch 2 weeks later was the same price I'd signed up to even after both companies had been informed). I argued with BG for quite a while asking them to honour the contract that I had signed, and it took about a week, and me speaking to a manager, until they agreed to do something about it.

The fact that most people probably won't double check these things mean that they were probably making fortunes. They were the cheapest on USwitch at the time, so would have had loads sign up, and only a certain percentage would realise they were being charged more than they thought.

When I told them that I would go to both a solicitor and the press (and strangely enough the moneysavingexpert website) and tell them about it, they seemed to listen a bit more. The manager still refused to honour the unit prices/standing charges, however, I had worked out exactly what the difference in cost would be to me over the term of the contract for both the gas and electric and he agreed to credit my account with that amount. Was about £500 over the years contract. He did this with no extra tie-ins and put it through as a goodwill payment. Which was ridiculous really, because as soon as it was credited, I switched to EDF energy, and received a bank credit for about £400 once the final bill was settled.

The problem I had was not that the quote was inaccurate, it was that the unit prices and standing charge BG wanted when the switch completed were about 20% more than I signed up to on Uswitch.

just seen above explanation and I get it.

the system wont allow individual amendments to tariff system. However you were right (and very crafty) to go for a one off payment as a goodwill gesture to make up for it. If the manager knows this will settle the issue, then it may be worthwhile. If you were to take your complaint to the ombudsman it cost the energy company £400 (or it used too when I worked for one) immediately. That's £400 gone lost. So if they know you have a reasonable case, then not much to haggle over. Problem is once it gets transferred to a certain stage then things get very strict so you seem to have got it settled before then

just seen above explanation and I get it.

the system wont allow individual amendments to tariff system. However you were right (and very crafty) to go for a one off payment as a goodwill gesture to make up for it. If the manager knows this will settle the issue, then it may be worthwhile. If you were to take your complaint to the ombudsman it cost the energy company £400 (or it used too when I worked for one) immediately. That's £400 gone lost. So if they know you have a reasonable case, then not much to haggle over. Problem is once it gets transferred to a certain stage then things get very strict so you seem to have got it settled before then

To be honest with you, I just wanted BG to honour the contract, and didn't want the goodwill payment. I would have preferred to have stayed with them but the way they gave me the run around to just get what I signed up to meant that I didn't feel bad about leaving them. I won't ever use them again either. They will have more than made up what they paid out to me by customers not double-checking their unit rates.

Because you’ve gone via Uswitch? Their business model will be to attract a greater number of customers to then further qualify for greater discount.
In turn their sales strategy will differ from BG, despite the energy coming from the same supplier.
It can't be difficult, even owld gits (our lass actually) can dee it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back