Swimming

I can swim all day doing breast stroke and never get tired. Gets boring after a while. I've done a couple of sprint triathlons where the swim is only 6 lengths (quarter mile?) but I'm rubbish at crawl and it knackers me out after just a couple of lengths.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom as to how to 'break through' and get past this? I try to 'coach' myself ie being aware of form and trying to be efficient, not thrash around etc but not much progress. Any help appreciated.

I can swim all day doing breast stroke and never get tired. Gets boring after a while. I've done a couple of sprint triathlons where the swim is only 6 lengths (quarter mile?) but I'm rubbish at crawl and it knackers me out after just a couple of lengths.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom as to how to 'break through' and get past this? I try to 'coach' myself ie being aware of form and trying to be efficient, not thrash around etc but not much progress. Any help appreciated.

Practice is probably going to be the main thing. Get some floats so you can concentrate on kick and pull separately. Also, if you can swim breast all day it probably means you could swim it an awful lot faster so try doing more of your lengths of that flat out to build your general fitness.

If you can get someone to watch you and give you some pointers on your stroke that may be very useful too.

Practice is probably going to be the main thing. Get some floats so you can concentrate on kick and pull separately. Also, if you can swim breast all day it probably means you could swim it an awful lot faster so try doing more of your lengths of that flat out to build your general fitness.

If you can get someone to watch you and give you some pointers on your stroke that may be very useful too.

Good points some of which I've thought about. Cheers marra.

The most important part of front crawl is getting your breathing right.Once that is right everything falls into place. Get a float hold with one hand and use one arm and breathe after every stroke , but don't forget to use your legs. Legs don't need to be kicked hard just gently to keep your body stable.
Streamlined body ,breathing by just a small turn of the head ,and it helps to exhale.The moment the head comes up high ,the stroke is disrupted.
And just do a length at a time concentrating on breathing and stroke and not on speed.Good Luck.

Just started swimming again myself, struggle with the front crawl, building it up gradually. Just feel like I am thrashing about some times, I find trying to concentrate on breathing, kicking legs and direction hard after a few lengths. I'd be ower the moon to do half a mile non stop front crawl.

Just started swimming again myself, struggle with the front crawl, building it up gradually. Just feel like I am thrashing about some times, I find trying to concentrate on breathing, kicking legs and direction hard after a few lengths. I'd be ower the moon to do half a mile non stop front crawl.
Concentrate on breathing first .Slight turn of the head to breathe . The rest will follow.Good Luck

With a change of diet and swimming 4 times a week my weight went from 15 stone down to 12.5 stone. I gradually built the distance up and the longest swim was 5,000 metres in 84 minutes. Not bad for a 56 year old who's a bit too fond of beer. Tend to stick to a 2,000 metre distance now as any longer is tedious and knackering :) Having said that I've just returned from a holiday and have ate and drank to excess for 2 weeks. Not looking forward to tomorrow's swim :-(

Went swimming with my 17 year old. He managed 24 lengths and I did 46. He kept saying "how the hell are you still going?" :lol:

Aquatic centre pool programme is changing from Monday. They're reducing the number of lanes and saying not enough guards to swimmers ratio. I don't know the full details, but worth checking before you go.

:D

Stamina from running and I've been going regular for a few months now. He's just been coming with me for a couple of weeks since he finished college.

I'm 27, consider myself in good shape and fit, but could I hell swim for that long! I don't get it.

Back