Swimming

I'm 27, consider myself in good shape and fit, but could I hell swim for that long! I don't get it.

Been again tonight and did 40.

I go when my youngest is in a swimming lesson, so I push myself to do as many lengths as I can in half an hour.

Swimming is something I should really try to do to get some exercise but not sure any pool would let me in with the state my leg is in at the moment. Mind, I've not swam for about 30 years, tried a couple of years ago on holiday, my arms and legs moved but the only direction I went was down!!

I can swim all day doing breast stroke and never get tired. Gets boring after a while. I've done a couple of sprint triathlons where the swim is only 6 lengths (quarter mile?) but I'm rubbish at crawl and it knackers me out after just a couple of lengths.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom as to how to 'break through' and get past this? I try to 'coach' myself ie being aware of form and trying to be efficient, not thrash around etc but not much progress. Any help appreciated.

Get yourself a waterproof MP3 player. Stops the boredom setting in for longer swims.

ie.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1704422.htm

cheaper at Amazon of course.

whats crack at the aquatic now ? have they reduced the numbers of lanes for proper swimming ? due to injury haven't been for while but have read couple of complaints in echo about new set up there ?
was half thinking going later in week but don't want to waste time if they've just turned it into a fun pool now or swimming lessons....

whats crack at the aquatic now ? have they reduced the numbers of lanes for proper swimming ? due to injury haven't been for while but have read couple of complaints in echo about new set up there ?
was half thinking going later in week but don't want to waste time if they've just turned it into a fun pool now or swimming lessons....
Aye number lanes reduced. Everyone active have played the health and safety card. I go on a Wednesday and it's down from 9 to 5 lanes. Peak times are pain in the arse, so if you can get there during the day.

Aye number lanes reduced. Everyone active have played the health and safety card. I go on a Wednesday and it's down from 9 to 5 lanes. Peak times are pain in the arse, so if you can get there during the day.
the one decent pool if want to swim for fitness and they've ballsed it up

the one decent pool if want to swim for fitness and they've ballsed it up
I've seen all the stuff in the paper, but they've played the health and safety card. They've said they're monitoring numbers and if there is a demand will look at it. Thing is a few of the regulars have stopped going. I think it's down to staff costs to be honest. The pool has even won a national safety award in the past.

Just got back into swimming myself. since there is a 25m pool right outside my villa. Rattled off 40 laps in around 25 mins, and feels much better than walking/jogging for the same time on the treadmill.

I have been back into it for a year or so now, quite enjoy it as my knees are buggered and this is the best form of exercise for me. Hate going but once I am in it is bingo.

Really starting to enjoy my swimming again like. I realised how boring and monotonous constant breast stroke lengths is. I'm looking at doing a triathlon next year so I've started working on my front crawl. I'll need some coaching/to go to a tri club at some point, because I'm sure my technique isn't quite perfect, but I seems to be shifting through the water at a decent speed and my breathing has come on leaps and bounds. Anyone suggest some good drills for the pool?

Been again tonight and did 40.

I go when my youngest is in a swimming lesson, so I push myself to do as many lengths as I can in half an hour.

fnarr

I've seen all the stuff in the paper, but they've played the health and safety card. They've said they're monitoring numbers and if there is a demand will look at it. Thing is a few of the regulars have stopped going. I think it's down to staff costs to be honest. The pool has even won a national safety award in the past.

How busy is the aquatics say around 5/6 o clock on an evening? I usually go to silkworth but it's either closed off for lessons or too busy too swim in.

fnarr

How busy is the aquatics say around 5/6 o clock on an evening? I usually go to silkworth but it's either closed off for lessons or too busy too swim in.
Not too bad. Usually 2 in a lane, but there's about 7 lanes. It always looks busy because the swimming club are in.

Whose bully bullshit kiddin ?
Called villas over here in the Philippines, or just a house really, doesn't even have a downstairs toilet.

Really starting to enjoy my swimming again like. I realised how boring and monotonous constant breast stroke lengths is. I'm looking at doing a triathlon next year so I've started working on my front crawl. I'll need some coaching/to go to a tri club at some point, because I'm sure my technique isn't quite perfect, but I seems to be shifting through the water at a decent speed and my breathing has come on leaps and bounds. Anyone suggest some good drills for the pool?
I pulled some decent ones from the google search of them, although it took a while to sift through them, many had drills with paddles, drag buoys, float boards etc, which i don't have here. I'm back to breast stroke also (with head above the water), as a few have gotten ear infections in the pool, so they messing around with the dosing over the coming days.

Last edited:

Get a pull buoy and kickboard and really focus on each part of the stroke individually. It's good to get someone to watch you though as they'll find it easier to identify any issues with your technique.

Get a pull buoy and kickboard and really focus on each part of the stroke individually. It's good to get someone to watch you though as they'll find it easier to identify any issues with your technique.
Thanks. I generally just borrow one of the kick boards at the pool and do 10 lengths with that. I think they have pull buoys as well. That's the one that goes between your legs ain't it. Cheers I'll check out Google. I find YouTube has quite a good amount of videos relating to tri-athlon as well. I'm sure that none of it will quite be the same as actual human interaction/coaching though but it's a start.

This probably sounds like a thick as fuck question, but swimming constantly can get you really fit? Or do you have to combine it with running?

Only a young lad but few problems with me legs which will cause problems when I am older, told not to overdue running (I'm shit anyway).

Back