Swimming

Didn't realise there was a swimming thread! Not been for years but managed 32 x 25m lengths breaststroke on Wednesday so I was pleased with that.

Didn't realise there was a swimming thread! Not been for years but managed 32 x 25m lengths breaststroke on Wednesday so I was pleased with that.
Me neither! Love my swimming very much. Just a recreational swimmer, not in it to break records or owt, although i'd love to give open water a go.

Me neither! Love my swimming very much. Just a recreational swimmer, not in it to break records or owt, although i'd love to give open water a go.

The bairn has started swimming lessons so I'm going in the pool for half an hour while she does her class. Managed another 32 lengths tonight. Just going for general fitness, not training for anything specific.

Back in the day, when I was a very keen swimmer, (in my teens??) I did an open water certificate. All I remember was that we drove to Herne Bay and we had to swim a certain distance in the sea; not sure if it was timed, or if I had to do any life-saving (was around the time I was doing life-saving exams in the local pool).

Back in the day, when I was a very keen swimmer, (in my teens??) I did an open water certificate. All I remember was that we drove to Herne Bay and we had to swim a certain distance in the sea; not sure if it was timed, or if I had to do any life-saving (was around the time I was doing life-saving exams in the local pool).
If you ever feel like taking it up again, have a look for Swim Dem Crew, new(ish) London swimming/social club, with the emphasis on the social as much as the swimming. They go round various lovely places to swim: Olympic Park one week, Tooting Lido the next, Hamlstead Ponds in summer ...

I started swimming about 5 weeks ago after a 40 year lay off! I'm trying to get down to Durham pool 4 to 5 times a week. I'm doing 4×30 lengths followed by 1×10 lengths. Pretty tedious and very tiring but it only takes around an hour and I feel so much better. It's my birthday today so it's a few pints in Durham this afternoon rather than the pool :)

any posters go swimming at aquatic often ?
just had quick look at their website timetable and can I hell work it out , want to know what hours the pool is open to public on a night and if its just widths (25m) or full lengths ? the only one I can work out from the website is a wed night when it looks like full 50m lengths til 730pm, what a shit timetable to understand

http://www.everyoneactive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Sun_Aquatic_MP.pdf
Weds/Sat are 50 m lengths. Weds 8am-8pm. Sat they don't open until 10:30 am. Every other day is 25m until 8pm iirc.

Cheers mate , thought that was the case still

Weds/Sat are 50 m lengths. Weds 8am-8pm. Sat they don't open until 10:30 am. Every other day is 25m until 8pm iirc.
gonna get the speedos dusted down and call in tomorrow night when 50m lengths available... that timetable isn't clear at all mind, makes out on a Monday/Thursday its only open 630-8pm for public ?

Last edited:
Cheers mate , thought that was the case still

gonna get the speedos dusted down and call in tomorrow night when 50m lengths available... that timetable isn't clear at all mind, makes out on a Monday/Thursday its only open 630-8pm for public ?
Aye, I like the longer lengths on a Wednesday. Looking at that timetable Mon/Thurs is 8:30 am until 4 pm. Then 6:30 pm until 8 pm after the lessons.

Just started trying a new swimming technique to improve my breathing. Essentially breathing less if that makes sense. I'm pushing off from the end and seeing how far I can get underwater without coming up for air. Must say it's mixed results so far! Once I'm up I'm essentially not coming up for air every stroke (breast stroke) and currently breathing every 3 strokes. I think it'll definitely help because I feel like I've got the lung capacity of a 70 year old chain smoker. Anyone else have any tips for breathing exercises in the pool?
*Edit* It seems to make me go faster as well. I suppose coming up for air slows you down somewhat.

Just started trying a new swimming technique to improve my breathing. Essentially breathing less if that makes sense. I'm pushing off from the end and seeing how far I can get underwater without coming up for air. Must say it's mixed results so far! Once I'm up I'm essentially not coming up for air every stroke (breast stroke) and currently breathing every 3 strokes. I think it'll definitely help because I feel like I've got the lung capacity of a 70 year old chain smoker. Anyone else have any tips for breathing exercises in the pool?
*Edit* It seems to make me go faster as well. I suppose coming up for air slows you down somewhat.

Would have thought it's easier breathing less often when you swim crawl. Not breathing on every stroke on breast feels really unnatural to me.

Doing a really long stretch underwater is more likely to make you fatigue towards the end of the length too especially if you're swimming 50m lengths. You might find just doing an absolutely flat out length every few lengths is more effective at increasing your lung capacity.

Having said that, with a bit of practice it should be fairly easy to do at least 25m underwater.

I would think concentrating on building strength and speed for breast stroke would be more important. Your lung capacity should improve naturally the quicker you become. Have a look at the swim smooth videos on you tube, there's some good tips on there.

Last edited:

Back