Sunderland will oppose a flat salary cap

Anyone thinking this salary cap idea is a good one, but still moaning that we are in league one might aswell jog along and support a prem league side.... If this goes thru, we're completey fooked!

You wont be able to offer bigger wages on the promise of promotion IF gained due to worries of going straight back down and being over the league one cap. Players will be more tempted to sign 6/12 month contracts in the hope they can gain a move higher up as quickly as possible, and league one clubs will end up being 'B' teams for the leagues above because it'll be easier/cheaper to loan players.....it would probably suit the Prem/Champ clubs of it went that way tbh.

Anyone thinking this salary cap idea is a good one, but still moaning that we are in league one might aswell jog along and support a prem league side.... If this goes thru, we're completey fooked!

You wont be able to offer bigger wages on the promise of promotion IF gained due to worries of going straight back down and being over the league one cap. Players will be more tempted to sign 6/12 month contracts in the hope they can gain a move higher up as quickly as possible, and league one clubs will end up being 'B' teams for the leagues above because it'll be easier/cheaper to loan players.....it would probably suit the Prem/Champ clubs of it went that way tbh.

I agree with you, but I guess most contracts in this league are two years, so you could offer them it and if you go up first season they get the better deal in the league above. If you then came back down they'd be out of contract. Or if they had a longer contract you'd have to offer a similar relegation wage drop so that it would go back down to the manageable level in league one. There would be ways around it, but it's definitely a shit idea

Fair enough, but regardless of whether you agree with it they are saying it's to ensure clubs stay sustainable. It doesn't work for that purpose because what is sustainable for us with £7m gate receipts is obviously massively different to what is sustainable for Accrington Stanley with likely less than £1m. A fair option around sustainability of clubs is a limit by % of turnover which they're meant to already have.

If they said its to improve competition and make things a more level playing field then that's different, but like I say they'd need to be doing that at the championship as well rather than just deciding they randomly want the lower divisions to be fair, and I'd only really advocate it if it was hand in hand with the PL making a similar commitment, which they would obviously never do.

English football should either be a country of fair, wage capped leagues or a country where clubs can spend more depending on how much turnover they have. I think it's dangerous when they start making major differences between the top leagues and the bottom ones.
Yeah, it definitely would need to introduced across the board to make it work and I agree that it wouldn't be sustainability that would drive this to happen. Also there would be the problem of how low down the leagues you could keep enforcing the cap as you could conceivably end up with a team being relegated all the way through the pyramid. It would be very difficult to implement and realistically isn't going to happen but we've been the small club in this situation in the PL and heard the richest or biggest clubs making similar points our fans are now so I guess it doesn't quite sit right with me. I do understand the point you and others are making though.

Yeah, it definitely would need to introduced across the board to make it work and I agree that it wouldn't be sustainability that would drive this to happen. Also there would be the problem of how low down the leagues you could keep enforcing the cap as you could conceivably end up with a team being relegated all the way through the pyramid. It would be very difficult to implement and realistically isn't going to happen but we've been the small club in this situation in the PL and heard the richest or biggest clubs making similar points our fans are now so I guess it doesn't quite sit right with me. I do understand the point you and others are making though.

I actually find the Premier league quite fair in that, unlike in Spain, at least all clubs get a fair cut of the TV money (fair enough some are shown a lot more often and thus get more of the additional appearance fees mind!). The frustration is how much clubs get for being in the champions league. Financial fair play doesn't give you a chance of catching up when some just happened to be at the top when it came in and now are likely to continue getting sky high revenues. Then they seem to be looking at making it even harder for other clubs to get into the CL because they just want the "big clubs" involved. I think European football skews the league more than anything else. Clubs just getting more from having more fans attending and selling more merchandise is fine imo, at least you could try and operate better to start catching up there, teams will find it almost impossible to catch up with the CL clubs no matter how well ran they are (although fair play to Leicester, they show its not impossible, but medium term you know they'll drop again)

I don't actually see a problem with this.
Scout the best players (recruitment dept. & manager) and forge them into the best team (manager and coaches). It's not like paying over the odds (Grigg) has f***ing worked.
Mind you, our recruitment department......
:lol::lol::lol:

This is where the salary cap helps the clubs with the most money. Wages for scouts, coaches, academy staff etc aren't included. Hire the best.

How do you think the top 6 retain their positions in the league? They aren't spending less than the bottom 6 but being smarter about it. Money equals better ... everything. More money buying players, more money paying wages, more money paying salaries of fitness coaches.

The entire success of top teams is down to them having more money.

Sunderland are just shit at spending it.
I’m not talking about the PL. The op wasn’t about the PL.
Something needs to change about the big clubs signing 100's of young players then loaning them out. Some lads out there must have been at several different clubs on loan before they are even 20, and because their parent club is Man Utd, Chelsea/City etc, they are probably already wealthy lads with nothing to prove to the loan club. We've had some real duds like the Everton pair, plus some non-footballers from Chelsea. The academy should be treated like an apprenticeship scheme around 16-19 age group, i.e you cannot be sold to another club before completing it, like a qualification - Professional development at a home grown club. No wonder academy's are failing, we are powerless to keep hold of any young talent and barely any of them make it into the first team...the ones that do are L1 level, otherwise another team would have snapped them up right?. Academy needs to close imo, immediate future takes priority over long term; the last thing we need in this club is another financial disaster from a man named Rodwell.
Goes without saying marra but it’s nowt to do with the FL.

Last edited:
GG, I disagree and believe every league should have an it's own individual flat wage cap. We should use our extra turnover to make sure we have the best scouting, best training facilities and stadium to attract the players we want at this level. It would make football far more interesting and give every club a chance

Agreed. If we can only pay the most the middling clubs can afford it allows us to spend on more scouts, better scouts, more coaches, better coaches, the best analytic kids we can afford etc. Which would benefit us more in the long run than spunking an extra £50k a week on the total wage bill of the donkeys we’ve been signing lately
I actually find the Premier league quite fair in that, unlike in Spain, at least all clubs get a fair cut of the TV money (fair enough some are shown a lot more often and thus get more of the additional appearance fees mind!). The frustration is how much clubs get for being in the champions league. Financial fair play doesn't give you a chance of catching up when some just happened to be at the top when it came in and now are likely to continue getting sky high revenues. Then they seem to be looking at making it even harder for other clubs to get into the CL because they just want the "big clubs" involved. I think European football skews the league more than anything else. Clubs just getting more from having more fans attending and selling more merchandise is fine imo, at least you could try and operate better to start catching up there, teams will find it almost impossible to catch up with the CL clubs no matter how well ran they are (although fair play to Leicester, they show its not impossible, but medium term you know they'll drop again)
The system in Spain is changing to bring it along the lines of the PL which is acknowledged within football circles to be the fairest distribution model of tv revenues. As you say it’s individual owners largesse and CL money that’s tilting the balance.

Last edited:
Pfa surely shut this down in its tracks, limiting a players earning potential.

I'm all for sustainability but it should be means tested on revenue.

Imagine earning alot more than your neighbours but having to drive the same car or being restricted to spending what they do on their house etc.

Why should a club who generates 20m in revenue be restricted to someone who earns 2m?

Pfa surely shut this down in its tracks, limiting a players earning potential.

I'm all for sustainability but it should be means tested on revenue.

Imagine earning alot more than your neighbours but having to drive the same car or being restricted to spending what they do on their house etc.

Why should a club who generates 20m in revenue be restricted to someone who earns 2m?

I think they have it in rugby already don't they? Not sure how much its been challenged legally but I think when they set it as a team budget rather than an individual they seem to get around the legality of it

I agree with you, but I guess most contracts in this league are two years, so you could offer them it and if you go up first season they get the better deal in the league above. If you then came back down they'd be out of contract. Or if they had a longer contract you'd have to offer a similar relegation wage drop so that it would go back down to the manageable level in league one. There would be ways around it, but it's definitely a shit idea

It gives players a bit more power and it will mean a changing side more often for me if it goes ahead.

Awful idea and it makes things more difficult for us.

Debate is simple really. Do you agree with salary cap or not? Cant argue not in Third Division but yes in Premier.

Is Charlie something to do with the salary idea working with the efl?
Surely given that he has a stake still in the club he would have some helpful insight into this? Or is he so bitter that he wants to stick the knife in and see us sink?

If the ruling comes in, expect to see the vast majority of teams forced to take up the maximum possible number of loanees from PL sides with teams in League 1 almost becoming PL B clubs.
The cynic in me thinks that’s the motivation behind the whole concept.

The idea of a salary cap is good for the game, as it becomes a test of skill and football rather then who has the most money, clubs can reinvest the resources into the club by way of many avenues...

A flat salary cap, as opposed to a club salary cap where we could spend it all on one superstar if we wanted, might be advantageous - for once, geography might work in our favour when players realise that the 2000 pounds per week (or whatever it is) they can earn in L1 is not going to afford them a great lifestyle and provide any nest egg for the future when they live in the south. The cheaper housing and general living costs in the NE might finally mean something to them, especially as L1 players are less likely to attract WAGs who only want to shop in London.

That may sound very sexist in this day and age, but it is a factor (eg Peter Crouch).

However, the strategy would only work when we’re in a league with a flat salary cap - should we win promotion, all bets are off again!

I think they have it in rugby already don't they? Not sure how much its been challenged legally but I think when they set it as a team budget rather than an individual they seem to get around the legality of it

Dont know jot about Rugby but didnt Saracens recently get caught out for breaching salary cap restrictions

Back