Sunderland will oppose a flat salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are no bounds to this clown's incompetence.

Imagine trying to make sure that we have the votes from other clubs to prevent this by saying "sustainability is not the same as levelling the playing field... This issue is not supposed to be about level playing fields" when most clubs will want exactly that?

Not a f***ing clue.

If a club needs to outspend it’s rivals to succeed then what it really needs is a new manager, coaches, scouts, DOF, directors, owners etc. SAFC have proven that in the wrong hands financial advantage alone is worthless. Work smarter ffs and if you can’t get people in who can......or sell up ASAP.

I think he's right, but semantically he is wrong. A level playing field is what most people would actually like, that the best teams and managers win. He should have said, "sustainability should not mean handicapping bigger teams with bigger fanbases". More broadly his point is correct though, it will seriously harm us if we are trapped in this league with a wage cap.

I don't actually see a problem with this.
Scout the best players (recruitment dept. & manager) and forge them into the best team (manager and coaches). It's not like paying over the odds (Grigg) has f***ing worked.
Mind you, our recruitment department......
:lol::lol::lol:

There are no bounds to this clown's incompetence.

Imagine trying to make sure that we have the votes from other clubs to prevent this by saying "sustainability is not the same as levelling the playing field... This issue is not supposed to be about level playing fields" when most clubs will want exactly that?

Not a f***ing clue.

He's absolutely right. The idea of a wage cap is supposed to be to keep teams afloat, to ensure they are sustainable. But it doesn't do that. If one club has 20 times the turnover of another, a flat wage cap isn't ensuring both can survive, its just actively penalising the club that could comfortably, safely, spend more on wages. A limit as a percentage of turnover is much fairer if the aim is the survival of the clubs. Of course, with SCMP they already seem to have that, so why don't they just enforce that rather than introducing something that means a club with 30,000 paying fans is only allowed to offer the same wages as a club with 2,000

Personally I'm all for a flat salary cap but only if it was also to include premier League clubs being banned from having young players that they then loan out to clubs in league one and two, those young players should be owned by lower league clubs who then benefit when they sell them.

Another fair point, if they want a wage cap it should be in every league (or at least championship down if they can't include the Premier League). A cap would have to work for the smallest clubs, so no one would be able to offer even half decent wages in this league. So everyone who is half decent will choose to sit on the bench in the championship rather than coming to this league (unless a team is prepared to spend a hell of a percentage of their allowance on them).

For me that makes the league worse, and makes the jump from league one to championship ridiculously hard to make. It's a ridiculous idea and I can't think of one benefit of it.

So we've got Sane moving to Munich for £340k per week. We've got lower league players worrying about paying the mortgage and we want to drive down lower league wages? Hypocrisy? Im not sure if this will be enforceable regardless of the morals. No doubt the EFL will again walk away from responsibility and put it to a vote.

Better players hoping to play in the likes of our league will be hoping to be snapped up quickly in case this cap becomes effective.

So we've got Sane moving to Munich for £340k per week. We've got lower league players worrying about paying the mortgage and we want to drive down lower league wages? Hypocrisy? Im not sure if this will be enforceable regardless of the morals. No doubt the EFL will again walk away from responsibility and put it to a vote.
The EFL will no doubt put it to a vote and that will end up with the salary cap put in place as there are a lot more small clubs down in leagues 1 and 2 than there are big clubs. Awfully nice of the vote to curtail this season came before this as I’m sure some of those clubs who are in the play offs would no doubt welcome a salary cap.

To be fair I think his point is reasonable - you can argue for a flat salary cap from the perspective of egalitarianism, but don't pretend it's anything to do with sustainability because that doesn't make much sense for clubs with much greater income.

Question for anyone that knows more about the proposals, if they cap these outgoings in this way and the predictable result is a surplus building up in the club's coffers a) what's to stop it being used on/resulting in bigger transfer fees and b) what's to stop fatcat owners just extracting that surplus from the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back