Sunderland till I die Season 2

Watched the lot in pretty much a oner due to the lack of social interaction at the moment and the pubs are shut.
40 odd away games and every home game over the two seasons featured and even in the bell the night they filmed in there. And I make not one appearance on screen. Our lass did.
not fair. No bafta for me.

So I say again:

How do you judge the performance of a promotion and marketing team?

Option 1 - National awards, season tickets sales, attendances, sales of merchandise, how well they have met set targets over a number of years?

Option 2- Their body language and on 3 edited minutes of a TV show.

You are taking a the tiniest fraction of someones working life that you have seen on a screen and accepted that it is how they are. I work as a teacher, I would like to think i'm pretty good. Every year I meet my targets, deal with difficult students and get good results. However if someone captured me on camera on a bad day in some of my staff meetings and showed parents only that I dare say I would pretty bad also.

Its ridiculous that people think that tiny fraction of what they have seen is exactly how they are when other evidence would suggest they are pretty good at their jobs.
You think the attendance sat the sol is down to the sales team ? Load of crap people goto the match in numbers regardless soon as they asked to push the boat out and reach higher they saying it a not possible
The edit may have been intended to make methven look like a twat, in many people's eyes it succeeded
I think he was doing a good job they have been on easy street

You think the attendance sat the sol is down to the sales team ? Load of crap people goto the match in numbers regardless soon as they asked to push the boat out and reach higher they saying it a not possible

As you say yourself the marketing team would have the tiniest of influence on attendance... CM thinks they can add 20k with a catchy slogan and some new tunes

Last edited:

So maybe that gobshite and his mates should have saved their ire for the football structure that they themselves put in place. If they’d been more bothered about their dreadful performance in that aspect of the club rather than grandstanding at middle managers for the tv cameras they might have got bumper crowds more often.

Targets need to be realistic though. I'm a big fan of Tiestos version of Adagio for strings but it wouldn't be enough to tempt me to buy a ticket if I wasn't arsed about going.
It was more about a fresh start and creating more of an atmosphere
You just said they couldn't influence it, best marketing managers in my lifetime are Rowell, Gabbiadini, Quinn, Phillips, Defoe
You said they won awards based on ticket sales the tickets sell themselves to some extent he wa a asking for a few more thousand and she immediately dismissed our chances

Last edited:
Just finished the 5th episode, not sure I can manage the final one. Methven comes across awfully and Donald is hopelessly out of his depth here.

one side thing though, they used a 3 second video of me screaming at a ref at the Doncaster away game and stuck it in the Boxing Day game shenanigans. Made me chuckle as I wasn’t even there

Just finished the 5th episode, not sure I can manage the final one. Methven comes across awfully and Donald is hopelessly out of his depth here.

one side thing though, they used a 3 second video of me screaming at a ref at the Doncaster away game and stuck it in the Boxing Day game shenanigans. Made me chuckle as I wasn’t even there
Last one is really good but leaves you absolutely wounded . I’ll not tell you what happens 😂😂😂

So if that's the case why couldn't he do a good job and get a better attendance than 27000 for the play off semi, probably because we always have a bumper crowd for home boxing day fixtures and the rest of the tickets they f***ing gave away, if he was doing such a good job where the fuck is he now

Aye I get that. I admire what he was trying to do but what happens on the pitch is the best way to create an atmosphere. I'm not a Methven and Donald hater but alot of mistakes were made.
We were paying others a lot of money to sort the playing on the pitch side out .He saw people in the ground as more ££ for the club and he made no bones about it.
Both sides of that feed and compliment each other
Even when we're struggling on the pitch we need to be creative in keeping income flowing
So if that's the case why couldn't he do a good job and get a better attendance than 27000 for the play off semi, probably because we always have a bumper crowd for home boxing day fixtures and the rest of the tickets they f***ing gave away, if he was doing such a good job where the fuck is he now
ST holders had to buy a ticket and we'd just been to Wembley at 500 quid a pop,maybe? Was it midweek as well ?
There was a big push for the boxing day record, people bought into it

Last edited:

Fook me.....Clues in the title "Sales/Marketing team" they're supposed to generate ideas and campaigns that drive sales...
If they can't do that why do we need them?

I think they were out of their depth from day one SD seemed like hes trying to run a used car business but I do think his intentions were in the right place just hasn't really got a clue.
CM on the other hand is a complete knob, his motivational speech to the sales team was like something you would expect a double glazing company telling their staff how to sell windows to OAPS that don't want it.
You could tell by every member of staffs faces that after 30 seconds he had lost any respect they could have had for him and that everyone in there detested the bloke.
You need staff that will run through fire for you but that comes with respect, I don't think one person in that room would have pissed on him if he was on fire, I think the irish lass would have poured petrol on him and who could blame her

T
He got the big crowd because they game all the tickets away for fuck all, I'd love to see the figures for how many tickets were actually sold
Not as bad as Graysons flip chart ,talk about flat
All presentations are 90% bluster but I've seen more desire in builders merchants offices than that lot had

Only finished this just now so not sure where to begin!

Charlie came across awfully at the start but became less of an obvious tit as it went on.

He’s 100% right with the Irish comms/marketing manager. I work in press/communications and could not believe her attitude. No wonder Charlie lost it. For me she (from what we were shown!) epitomised where the club was at the time. Defeatist, taking a few quid and looking for it to hit 5pm.

I feel bad for Stewart Donald. I liked him before this and I still do. He’s got his heart in the right place. He’s a good man but just a bit excitable and painfully naive. Hope whatever he does after us he ends up happy.

Also that Juan Sartori is annoying - why does he just pop up at Wembley with SD?

And also nice (in a weird way) that Ellis was at the Checkatrade final.

I've really got into this. Can't believe I didn't bother with it first time around.

Agree with most of the above post other than the more it's gone on, the more I dislike Charlie. Agree about that Sartori character and don't get his purpose.

For some reason, I thought Donald was Scottish when he took over and continued the Scottish theme by bringing in a Scottish manager. I like Donald a lot but if I'm honest, I'm not sure he's in the league required to run a club of Sunderland's stature. I also formed the opinion that his heart is in the right place although I think he crossed a line by standing with the fans at Portsmouth.

The big thing for me (watching the 2 series back to back) is the difference between the doom & gloom in series 1 compared to the better atmosphere in series 2. I know last season ended in upset but it also ended in hope whereas the previous season was probably ended on an all time low with no hope or direction and no players wanting to play for the club.

I really enjoyed watching it and couldn't help relating to many of the scenarios

That Ozturk red card is still a joke, like.
Charlie nailed it at the play off final half time. That we can't handle being in the lead and want to try to hang on to it for the entire game, which we're not good enough to do.

Should've realised Ross had no interest in attacking.
Did it get rescinded because STID shows him playing at Pompey?

Back