Sunderland till I die Season 2

Scapegoat for me, he’s football was dour but compared to this new fella is like total football Dutch team of the 70’s
He was far from blame free - he should have been stamping his feet about a striker in advance, he allowed his defenders to play two deep and it left us exposed every game and the issue of our defending from the left side was never resolved but Methven was good at chucking shit at him when his board weren't any great shakes either.

That Ozturk red card is still a joke, like.
Charlie nailed it at the play off final half time. That we can't handle being in the lead and want to try to hang on to it for the entire game, which we're not good enough to do.
interesting that Ross wasn't remotely arsed if we got Grigg and Donald just keeps going back over and over despite being told by everyone else not to bother. proper tunnel vision
Should've realised Ross had no interest in attacking.

Last edited:
Makes me think Ross the Toss wasn’t the biggest problem during his tenure....

The doc made me think about Jack Ross and subsequently Phil parkinson, I think they've both been appointed because they'll not challenge the owners.

That conversation on deadline day about grigg when Ross is saying don't pay more than we've offered, while he was right about grigg can you imagine other managers just happily going along with having just Charlie Wyke up front for half a season when you're chasing promotion, especially when you've just lost your main goal threat.

While there's always got to be a balance you want your manager banging down the door of a chairman's office to get the right man in

He was far from blame free - he should have been stamping his feet about a striker in advance, he allowed his defenders to play two deep and it left us exposed every game and the issue of our defending from the left side was never resolved but Methven was good at chucking shit at him when his board weren't any great shakes either.
He signed the defenders man bloke way way out of his depth no strikers on the pitch at Wembley !

Episode 4.

How the fuck did we get to a point where Grigg is our only option?

Hill and Coton shaking their heads, but where's option 2? And 3 and 4 and 5? That's their f***ing job. Not to leave a chairman desperately hoying bids about on deadline day. There should be at least half a dozen options for every single position we need to fill, from ideal world to cheap and cheerful.
I couldn’t understand this there must be a million players worldwide that can score goals in league 1
It’s strange how SAFC managed to get fantastic season ticket sales, an average of 31000 through the gate in league 1 and a 46000 league record. We managed to do all that despite having a marketing team that couldn’t be arsed? Just perhaps they could be arsed, perhaps they did a great job that year. Perhaps the evidence is right in front of you rather than accepting a couple of edited minutes as being a true reflection.
The attendance would of been up anyway on Boxing Day marketing team or not we also had the feel good factor. It was playing to see the team had absolutely no enthusiasm which is surely critical for that job
There’s not a chance that Maja is on 50K a week man. He probably picks that up in a month but definitely not every week.
He’s on 30 odd

Last edited:
The doc made me think about Jack Ross and subsequently Phil parkinson, I think they've both been appointed because they'll not challenge the owners.

That conversation on deadline day about grigg when Ross is saying don't pay more than we've offered, while he was right about grigg can you imagine other managers just happily going along with having just Charlie Wyke up front for half a season when you're chasing promotion, especially when you've just lost your main goal threat.

While there's always got to be a balance you want your manager banging down the door of a chairman's office to get the right man in
Parky will challenge the owners plus Ross showed he wasn't a yes man by telling 1.5 was the limit for Grigg.

Parky will challenge the owners plus Ross showed he wasn't a yes man by telling 1.5 was the limit for Grigg.

I'm not convinced it wasn't the act of a yes man, just telling the boss what he thinks they want to hear. He should have been demanding a striker, and as for parky I'm not convinced

I dont think there was much wrong in saying 40k would be difficult. It had been over a year and a half since we last went over 40k. Perhaps could have made that point better but it will have been an immediate reaction. The gift of football also added 2k+ onto the attendance, which was a fan initiative. Also Bradford selling out when most away sides have brought poor followings.
Also most people to work there hours and go home, because they have shit to deal with there as well. As long as they are putting their shift in when they are there thats what matters, but we didnt get to see that as it was the Methven show. Even having a microphone on him at matches etc, was strategic by him to paint an image.
Which as far as I'm aware didn't rate a mention. A poster wrote that the communications lass disrespected the fans. WTF was this then? The bloke is a narcissistic arsehole. He talked a good fight on the telly but that was about it. All fart and nee shite as they say.

I couldn’t understand this there must be a million players worldwide that can score goals in league 1

The attendance would of been up anyway on Boxing Day marketing team or not we also had the feel good factor. It was playing to see the team had absolutely no enthusiasm which is surely critical for that job

He’s on 30 odd

I would rather judge them on their actions that year than 90 seconds of edited TV which you are accepting as completely reflective of how they are. 90 seconds of editing or 31,000 average, fantastic season ticket sales and the best Boxing day attendance for 40 years in that division? That is their job rather than looking all lively for a TV crew.

I would rather judge them on their actions that year than 90 seconds of edited TV which you are accepting as completely reflective of how they are. 90 seconds of editing or 31,000 average, fantastic season ticket sales and the best Boxing day attendance for 40 years in that division? That is their job rather than looking all lively for a TV crew.
The attendance would be exactly the same with or without them it’s their lack of enthusiasm that shone through they are supposed to be selling the club, your acting like safc and Charlie metvhen edited it ! It was done by sunderland fans

Last edited:
The attendance would be exactly the same with or without them it’s their lack of enthusiasm that shone through they are supposed to be selling the club, your acting like safc and Charlie metvhen edited it ! It was done by sunderland fans

Disagree entirely. The marketing team are judged entirely on the increased attendances and season ticket sales and not one bit on how they appeared to you in a few minutes of a TV program. What criteria would you set to judge the success of a marketing team in a given season?

Disagree entirely. The marketing team are judged entirely on the increased attendances and season ticket sales and not one bit on how they appeared to you in a few minutes of a TV program. What criteria would you set to judge the success of a marketing team in a given season?
It's amazing the grief the marketing team are receiving. Must be a tough job trying to market that shower shite.

However in 2017 they won a an award for best fan engagement, for the launch of our strip that year. So the marketing team won an award for the launch of one of the worst strips we've ever had. Seems like they are canny at their job, going off that rather than 3 minutes of tv footage.

It's amazing the grief the marketing team are receiving. Must be a tough job trying to market that shower shite.

However in 2017 they won a an award for best fan engagement, for the launch of our strip that year. So the marketing team won an award for the launch of one of the worst strips we've ever had. Seems like they are canny at their job, going off that rather than 3 minutes of tv footage.

Sorry mate but that pales into insignificance compared to them not looking very engaged in those netflix 3 minutes.

Has anyone ever decided to go to a Sunderland match because of the marketing?

Hundreds of thousands have over the year. Every ST price has been set as a result of marketing, every sales promotion, free tickets, kids for a quid etc and good promotional campaigns. Why would any club bother with then if they didn't :lol:

Back