Sunderland till I die Season 2

Just finished episode 3, actually didn't think it was as bad as portrayed on here how he spoke to that lass. The whole department's attitude stank. They couldn't care less.
It certainly came across that way to me.
Hundreds of thousands have over the year. Every ST price has been set as a result of marketing, every sales promotion, free tickets, kids for a quid etc and good promotional campaigns. Why would any club bother with then if they didn't :lol:
Say what you like about Methven, but imo he was a big part of the reason we got that incredible crowd on Boxing Day.
The fact that his "team" thought this couldn't happen, doesn't reflect at all well on them.

Last edited:

Disagree entirely. The marketing team are judged entirely on the increased attendances and season ticket sales and not one bit on how they appeared to you in a few minutes of a TV program. What criteria would you set to judge the success of a marketing team in a given season?
The lass was defeatist man rolling her eyes during a meeting saying we would never get that many fans before they had even tried! not what you need when your trying to build somehting

Great summary. Pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Methven is a strange one. Complete bellend one minute but quite likeable the next - and certainly seemed passionate about it all. Strange how out of his depth Donald seemed. And the whole set up lacks pride and passion as you say - in massive contrast to our support.
I think they were out of their depth from day one SD seemed like hes trying to run a used car business but I do think his intentions were in the right place just hasn't really got a clue.
CM on the other hand is a complete knob, his motivational speech to the sales team was like something you would expect a double glazing company telling their staff how to sell windows to OAPS that don't want it.
You could tell by every member of staffs faces that after 30 seconds he had lost any respect they could have had for him and that everyone in there detested the bloke.
You need staff that will run through fire for you but that comes with respect, I don't think one person in that room would have pissed on him if he was on fire, I think the irish lass would have poured petrol on him and who could blame her
It certainly came across that way to me.

Say what you like about Methven, but imo he was a big part of the reason we got that incredible crowd on Boxing Day.
The fact that his "team" thought this couldn't happen, doesn't reflect at all well on them.
T
He got the big crowd because they game all the tickets away for fuck all, I'd love to see the figures for how many tickets were actually sold

Last edited:
I think they were out of their depth from day one SD seemed like hes trying to run a used car business but I do think his intentions were in the right place just hasn't really got a clue.
CM on the other hand is a complete knob, his motivational speech to the sales team was like something you would expect a double glazing company telling their staff how to sell windows to OAPS that don't want it.
You could tell by every member of staffs faces that after 30 seconds he had lost any respect they could have had for him and that everyone in there detested the bloke.
You need staff that will run through fire for you but that comes with respect, I don't think one person in that room would have pissed on him if he was on fire, I think the irish lass would have poured petrol on him and who could blame her
eh the team was a joke man! they need speaking to like that because of their stinking defeatist attitude, i think metvhen done a cracking job of sussing them out and he was spot on they didn't even have the balls to ask a question!!!
they have been on easy street man obviously the aren't going to be happy about someone coming in and actually demanding they work harder

Last edited:
eh the team was a joke man! they need speaking to like that because of their stinking defeatist attitude, i think metvhen done a cracking job of sussing them out and he was spot on they didn't even have the balls to ask a question!!!
they have been on wast street man obviously the aren't going to be happy about someone coming in and actually demanding they work harder

You do not know this, you are making assumptions from a few minutes of edited video.
The only time anyone came up with something he stopped him dead and said, "Back to my idea".

they have been on easy street man obviously the aren't going to be happy about someone coming in and actually demanding they work harder
Easy street? They've been working with the threat of redundancy for a couple of years now.

because it was a shit idea!!!! it was going to cost the club money loosing out on ticket sales !!! and if you hadnt noticed we were nearly bankrupt!!!

No, it was a good idea.
Rewarding loyalty breeds loyalty, the only thing that this club has.
CM didn't care cos he knew he would be gone to BS some other company within a year.

Short term thinking is the reason we are now a League one club, rather than a League one blip.

No, it was a good idea.
Rewarding loyalty breeds loyalty, the only thing that this club has.
CM didn't care cos he knew he would be gone to BS some other company within a year.

Short term thinking is the reason we are now a League one club, rather than a League one blip.
the club was cost cutting, cutting back on loosing money that it didnt need to is not a charity its a business

The lass was defeatist man rolling her eyes during a meeting saying we would never get that many fans before they had even tried! not what you need when your trying to build somehting

It depends on how your base your opinion. As a previous poster said in 2017 they won a a national award for best fan engagement, for the launch of our strip that year. Despite us being at the lowest point in our history the ST sold and attendances the club have got are a direct reflection on the marketing team. Its what they are judged against. Its amazing how many people would prefer to choose someone's body language in a split second or a couple of minutes of edited work than what they actually do and produce day to day in their job.

It depends on how your base your opinion. As a previous poster said in 2017 they won a a national award for best fan engagement, for the launch of our strip that year. Despite us being at the lowest point in our history the ST sold and attendances the club have got are a direct reflection on the marketing team. Its what they are judged against. Its amazing how many people would prefer to choose someone's body language in a split second or a couple of minutes of edited work than what they actually do and produce day to day in their job.
so why are they been singled out????? juts for a bit good tv???? aye righto!

so why are they been singled out????? juts for a bit good tv???? aye righto!

They were only being singled out by Charlie Methven in the Charlie Methven show. There is no doubt that the cameras didn't show them in a good light but I ask you again how do you judge the performance of a promotion and marketing team?

Option 1 - National awards, season tickets sales, attendances, sales of merchandise, how well they have met set targets over a number of years?

Option 2- Their body language and on 3 edited minutes of a TV show.

You come across as an option 2 kinda guy :lol:

They were only being singled out by Charlie Methven in the Charlie Methven show. There is no doubt that the cameras didn't show them in a good light but I ask you again how do you judge the performance of a promotion and marketing team?

Option 1 - National awards, season tickets sales, attendances, sales of merchandise, how well they have met set targets over a number of years?

You come across as an option 2 kinda guy :lol:
Charlie metvhen didn’t make the series or edit it man a group of Sunderland fans did do you think they would put it in if it was unwarranted? you seen the meeting in the first episode none of the staff had a f***ing clue they didn’t even know the answers to the basic questions he was asking, wouldn’t you do your homework or would you even need to? considering it’s your job ! They had a chance to step up to the plate and stand out on camera to a new employer.

Charlie metvhen didn’t make the series or edit it man a group of Sunderland fans did do you think they would put it in if it was unwarranted? you seen the meeting in the first episode none of the staff had a f***ing clue they didn’t even know the answers to the basic questions he was asking, wouldn’t you do your homework or would you even need to? considering it’s your job ! They had a chance to step up to the plate and stand out on camera to a new employer.
The edit may have been intended to make methven look like a twat, in many people's eyes it succeeded

Charlie metvhen didn’t make the series or edit it man a group of Sunderland fans did do you think they would put it in if it was unwarranted you seen the meeting in the first episode none of the staff had a f***ing clue they didn’t even know the answers to the basic questions he was asking, wouldn’t you do your homework or would you even need to considering it’s your job ! They had a chance to step up to the plate and stand out on camera to a new employer.

So I say again:

How do you judge the performance of a promotion and marketing team?

You are taking a the tiniest fraction of someones working life that you have seen on a screen and accepted that it is how they are. I work as a teacher, I would like to think i'm pretty good. Every year I meet my targets, deal with difficult students and get good results. However if someone captured me on camera on a bad day in some of my staff meetings and showed parents only that I dare say I would pretty bad also.

Its ridiculous that people think that tiny fraction of what they have seen is exactly how they are when other evidence would suggest they are pretty good at their jobs.

Episode 4.

How the fuck did we get to a point where Grigg is our only option?

Hill and Coton shaking their heads, but where's option 2? And 3 and 4 and 5? That's their f***ing job. Not to leave a chairman desperately hoying bids about on deadline day. There should be at least half a dozen options for every single position we need to fill, from ideal world to cheap and cheerful.

People keep saying this.

They clearly say "he is the only option left".

This would suggest they DID have other options we couldn't get done.

I don't understand why people keep saying he was the only option, did you have the sound turned off ffs.
People keep saying this.

I don't understand why people keep saying he was the only option, did you have the sound turned off ffs.

More embarrassing was the owner clearly being told by the manager "he's not worth more than 1.5 million" and the owner ignoring him. SD got auction fever and panic bought, simple as that really.

Last edited:
People keep saying this.

More embarrassing was the owner clearly being told by the manager "he's not worth more than 1.5 million" and the owner ignoring him. SD got auction fever and panic bought, simple as that really.

Aye that was a massive balls up. Don't sign players your manager doesn't really want.

Back